Take it easy on our coaches

MidseasonFrommMidseasonFromm Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman
edited December 2 in Football

In my opinion, and this doesn't apply to everyone, I think those that are publicly calling for the termination of Chaney, Smart, any of our assistants, etc based on the play calling and decision making of the 2018 SEC Championship fail to remember what got us here: the mindset of 'buying in', not just from the standpoint of players, recruits, alumni, and coaches, but from the standpoint of the fans.

They called the game they called. We lost to a team that was better than us. It is another painful painful stake in a very long rebuilding process. Please guys, remember what got us here. Have a great few weeks!

Tagged:

Comments

• OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Junior

We should just hope most of them stick around. Sounds like McGee is heading to Colorado, will he take some position coaches with him? There was a rumor that if we had won the natty last year Chaney was going to retire. Despite all the crap people give him I think he is a great O coordinator.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not concerned with this having a negative affect going forward except where it applies to Bama. I'm not at all sure Saban isn't in our staff's heads a bit, then there is the recruiting angle. If we'd won the game we'd be the new sheriff of The SEC.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2

Yeah, except Alabama wasn’t better than us. They’re perceived to be better than us, but we beat them everywhere except the scoreboard. This is two straight years that we got tight in our offensive playcalling and choked away a very winnable game. I love Kirby, but this is becoming problematic.

@BoroDawg said:
    Yeah, except Alabama wasn’t better than us. They’re perceived to be better than us, but we beat them everywhere except the scoreboard. This is two straight years that we got tight in our offensive playcalling and choked away a very winnable game. I love Kirby, but this is becoming problematic.

Clearly Bama had a better season going into the game. Just as clearly we let the game slip away in the second half.

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:
    I'm not concerned with this having a negative affect going forward except where it applies to Bama. I'm not at all sure Saban isn't in our staff's heads a bit, then there is the recruiting angle. If we'd won the game we'd be the new sheriff of The SEC.

I respectfully disagree, these guys just played Bama the team that has been deemed as Saban’s best offensive team ever, to the wire. I don’t think he’s in our head

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MidseasonFromm, I’m with you on the not calling for coaches jobs publicly (I think most of that is emotion, but whatever), but I disagree with you on two points. First, Alabama is not a better team than us. Those two teams were evenly matched, and Georgia has dominated Alabama for significant stretches of two games now. What Georgia has failed to do is make plays for four quarters. Yes, coaching us factored in (hi, fake punt) but so has good, old fashioned playmaking. Fromm’s miss of Ridley in the second half (he threw it outside, when Ridley stopped his route). Not keeping contain on Hurts. In both games, Bama keeps making plays. Georgia doesn’t.

Second, this isn’t a long rebuild. We’ve played for two SEC titles and a National Championship. Our last three recruiting classes are 6, 3, and 1, and we will have another top three class this year. The team is built. Are there places we could be better? Sure, but you look at the #1 issue, D-line, and those boys played well yesterday. We have to recognize we’re here, we’re championship-level, and then we just have to go out and finish.

Go Dawgs!

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@OroValleyDawg said:
    We should just hope most of them stick around. Sounds like McGee is heading to Colorado, will he take some position coaches with him? There was a rumor that if we had won the natty last year Chaney was going to retire. Despite all the crap people give him I think he is a great O coordinator.

Tucker not McGee....

edited December 2

@Jesupdawg said:

@WCDawg said:

I respectfully disagree, these guys just played Bama the team that has been deemed as Saban’s best offensive team ever, to the wire. I don’t think he’s in our head

We didn't play them equally down to the wire though, they dominated the second half.
    I've seen many cases where a person or team plays a particular opponent well, but when it comes crunch time they don't have the confidence to win.
    I've been on both ends in several sports. In tennis, racquetball, one on one basketball, etc I've played people who could stay with me to the final point, but I'd win that final point almost every time. I could usually see it on their faces, they knew they were going to lose, which is why they lost. I've also had opponents who had the psychological mojo on me.

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I havent seen anyone calling for their jobs.

• at2192at2192 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

@BoroDawg said:

This ^^^

Look at the stat sheet, we outplayed them in most facets of the game.

But one single player was better than us and that was Hurts. The guy was indeed Superman. I've been reading a lot about his passes to Waddle and Jeudy but for me his best play was the 17 or 18 yard completion he threw to Smith over the middle on 3rd and 7 with 1:45 or so on the clock (right before his pass to Waddle, I think). He was cold as ice on that throw into tight coverage. If he doesn't make that completion, with a tie score and a minute and half on the clock, Saban punts away to bury us deep in our own end and force us to go length of field for the win -- what we should have CLEARLY done to them. We should have had plenty of time to get into Hot Rod's comfort zone (and I have no doubts the kid would have made that one). I say "should" because of one thing -- our o-line looked scary bad on that very last drive. With the game on the line Bama was playing 8 men back and rushing only 3 against our 5, and yet they were still collapsing the pocket and even sacked Fromm once. What was going on there? Who were those five guys and what did they do with our offensive linemen?

Yeah Kirby's fake punt was the worse call I have ever seen at such a crucial time in the game, no less with 4th and 11 against a great defense. Talk about all-time brain fart$. That said, not sure anyone would have stopped Hurts from taking his team the entire length of the field and winning the game for Bama.

• OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Tdub0199 said:

@OroValleyDawg said:

Tucker not McGee....

Correct my bad

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only Stat that matters is the final score

• amfireamfire Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Remember this is the first time sense the early 80's that we've gone to major (CFP / New Years 6) bowl games in back to back years. I think the coaches are doing it right and the future looks optimistic!
    GO DAWGS!

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think sometimes our coaches r too much in their own heads. But Bama? Nah!