What's it going to take for UGA to close out double-digit second half leads vs. Bama?

AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

Crimson Tide outscored the Dawgs 24-0 in the 4th quarter this year:

8 January 2018 (NCG): 10-0

1 December 2018 (SECCG): 14-0

2018 Scholarship Roster (based on 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings):

1. Georgia (84 rated players avg. 3.88 stars): 14 5-stars, 47 4-stars, 22 3-stars, 1 2-star
  2. Alabama (81 rated players avg. 3.86 stars): 12 5-stars, 49 4-stars, 17 3-stars, 3 2-stars

2018 Scholarship Roster Underclassmen/Upperclassmen:

Alabama: 63% underclassmen (51) and 37% upperclassmen (30)
Georgia: 60.7% underclassmen (51) and 39.3% upperclassmen (33)

Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:

• Freshmen: 12
  • Sophomores: 14
  • Juniors: 13
  • Seniors: 11

Alabama started 12 underclassmen & 12 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG.

UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:

• Freshmen: 14
  • Juniors: 14
  • Seniors/Grad Students: 11

UGA started 11 underclassmen & 13 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. Bama in the 2018 SECCG.

Alabama's 51 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.67 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.

UGA's 53 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.70 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are 2 basic ways to get off track.

Get overly conservative. This could lead to not going for those great passes Fromm hit in the first half Saturday. He didn't have the same success later in the game.
    The other thing seems the opposite but it comes from the same place, getting tight and losing judgement. This is taking ill advised risks like the fake punt. It's really closer to being too conservative than might be obvious. Both are really about becoming uneasy and maybe even fearful. Any competitor knows you fight yourself when tension rises. In tight spots it's hard to stay relaxed and think things through confidently.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 702 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another crack at 'em in December 2019 is all the Dawgs need. Georgia is among the elite of the elite right now and I can promise u that there's 1 team that Saban and the Tide does not want to tangle with and its the 1 that dominated them for the majority of the past 8+ qtrs the 2 have played.

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What’s it going to take??? Drive the stake deep!!!!

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:"

"UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:"

With all due respect this is a better comparison.

UGA had 6 players drafted last year including 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, one of their best drafts in years. Well Alabama had 12 players drafted.

This year UGA may have 4 players drafted. **Alabama is going to have at least 10. **

UGA's last 5 recruiting classes: #7, #6, #9, #3, #1. Alabama's last 5: #1, #2, #1, #1, #7. See the difference? And lest you think that Alabama fell off last year: look again. They finished #7 because they only signed 20 players. And they only signed 20 players in 2018 because they signed 29 in 2017. If you look at the point totals. Alabama had 2623 with 20 players where #4 Texas had 2726 with 27! If Alabama signs a typical 23-25 player class it is top 3. Still well behind UGA and Ohio State, but top 3.

UGA's most talented athletes are in their 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. After that there is a steep dropoff. Meanwhile, the only reason why Alabama has so many underclassmen playing is because they lose so many juniors early to the draft.

To follow up, UGA needs the players from the 2017 and 2018 class to become juniors and sophomores and hope that they get a real impact from at least a few of the 2019 true freshmen. I see they have 5 DEs committed so far, hopefully a couple of them can get on the field in passing situations and help the pass rush.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is it going to take? At this point, the only thing left we haven’t tried is sacrificing the fattest calf

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 5

Lots of great info in that post, USAF. The talent is certainly comparable. I like the average star rankings a lot because the recruiting sites are factoring volume, so the class rankings leave a lot to be desired. One team may be higher because they signed more people. The age of those stars is important, too. I would love to see the offensive and defensive two deeps for average stars and age. I don't like putting the ST info in because their play is so limited, I think it skews the picture. My guess would be that we are younger on the two deeps, but comparable to a little ahead on average stars. For instance, at QB we have a Sophomore and a TF. They have a Junior and a Sophomore. I think 24/7 shows both teams averaging 4.5 stars for the two deep.

On closing the deal, we just have to keep chopping and getting better in all phases and coaching. The slump in the two outcomes reminds me of the 15/16 Tennessee games. We had at least comparable talent, got ahead both years, and inexplicably gave up the leads both years. It really seemed like we were "snakebit" after the second finish--the hail mary year. But, then 2017 happened! Alabama was a little tougher because we led both games for about 95% of the time, but lost. Those were so close, just about anything could have flipped the outcome. UGA is waxing relatively, and Alabama is fighting as hard as they can to keep from waning. I like Kirby's trajectory.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We are just getting started. Patients grasshopper.

• stubbornthingstubbornthing Posts: 81 ✭✭ Sophomore

Kirby needs to learn how to finish in the fourth quarter...and that includes all games.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 5

It’s at the margins. In coaching and talent. Chip nailed it on DND the other day. In terms of many of the aspects of coaching, Kirby excels- recruiting, development, organization. He’s not there yet in his game day ability. I believe he will get there, but that takes time.

In terms of talent, it’s marginal too. You don’t control games against a team like Bama the way we have if there were massive gaps in talent. But some things have come to mind, or been brought to my attention over the last several days:
    1. Bama can trot out a guy as second string QB that’s 26-2 as a starter, is all-SEC, and has competed in championship games. No one else can do that. That mattered Saturday.
    2. What also mattered is UGA’s ability to contain (see Seth Emerson’s Second Glance piece in the Athletic). Roquan handles Hurts in that situation on Saturday. As Seth pointed out, maybe Monty helps, but Roquan was a freakin’ eraser. We missed that in this game (he also credits Bellamy and Carter as part of Georgia’s 2017 success at contain).
    3. Buck Belue pointed out that Hurts came in fresh. I don’t completely buy the “Georgia defense was tired” narrative (we did control time of possession, at least to the point he came in), but you put in a guy with fresh legs versus guys who had been playing for two and a half quarters, it matters.

The gap is so small, but that last bit can be the hardest difference to overcome. I’m confident we’ll get there.

• DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@JRT812 said:
    What is it going to take? At this point, the only thing left we haven’t tried is sacrificing the fattest calf

I don't think Chaney's going to like that idea.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgBones said:

@JRT812 said:

Hahaha

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 75 ✭✭ Sophomore

@DawgBones said:

@JRT812 said:

I've had some issues with Chaney, but he was fine on Saturday.

UGA will beat bama, its a when, not if. I think most of this is histrionics. Bama has been a whole lot of other teams besides us the last couple of years, as much as it sucks, give them some credit.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Banish the elephant in the room

• dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

Remove the train track crew guy curse from 1981. Its more than conincedental that the guy has his free seats and favorite time with his favorite ppl taken away a year after a UGA natty, curses the program in '81 (UGA plays for and loses the natty), dies in '82 (UGA plays for and loses the natty) and everything happening since. However that curse can be lifted it needs to happen!!!!!

@dawgs18 said:
    Remove the train track crew guy curse from 1981. Its more than conincedental that the guy has his free seats and favorite time with his favorite ppl taken away a year after a UGA natty, curses the program in '81 (UGA plays for and loses the natty), dies in '82 (UGA plays for and loses the natty) and everything happening since. However that curse can be lifted it needs to happen!!!!!

All for it! I think I used to sit by that guy on the trestles. Always getting into scuffles and pinched my lil Oscar cooler while I was down the tracks relieving myself at the graveyard. At some point, he probably turned into a Bummer fan.
    Now how is that curse lifted again?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:
    "Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:"

"UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:"

With all due respect this is a better comparison.

UGA had 6 players drafted last year including 3 first rounders and a 2nd rounder, one of their best drafts in years. Well Alabama had 12 players drafted.

This year UGA may have 4 players drafted. **Alabama is going to have at least 10. **

UGA's last 5 recruiting classes: #7, #6, #9, #3, #1. Alabama's last 5: #1, #2, #1, #1, #7. See the difference? And lest you think that Alabama fell off last year: look again. They finished #7 because they only signed 20 players. And they only signed 20 players in 2018 because they signed 29 in 2017. If you look at the point totals. Alabama had 2623 with 20 players where #4 Texas had 2726 with 27! If Alabama signs a typical 23-25 player class it is top 3. Still well behind UGA and Ohio State, but top 3.

UGA's most talented athletes are in their 1st, 2nd and 3rd years. After that there is a steep dropoff. Meanwhile, the only reason why Alabama has so many underclassmen playing is because they lose so many juniors early to the draft.

Much better. At least we didn't have to scroll to see your entire post.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AirForceDawg said:
    Crimson Tide outscored the Dawgs 24-0 in the 4th quarter this year:

8 January 2018 (NCG): 10-0

1 December 2018 (SECCG): 14-0

2018 Scholarship Roster (based on 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings):

1. Georgia (84 rated players avg. 3.88 stars): 14 5-stars, 47 4-stars, 22 3-stars, 1 2-star
    2. Alabama (81 rated players avg. 3.86 stars): 12 5-stars, 49 4-stars, 17 3-stars, 3 2-stars

2018 Scholarship Roster Underclassmen/Upperclassmen:

Alabama: 63% underclassmen (51) and 37% upperclassmen (30)
    Georgia: 60.7% underclassmen (51) and 39.3% upperclassmen (33)

Alabama played 51 players (27 underclassmen & 24 upperclassmen) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG:

• Freshmen: 12
    • Juniors: 13
    • Seniors: 11

Alabama started 12 underclassmen & 12 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. UGA in the 2018 SECCG.

UGA played 53 players (28 underclassmen & 25 upperclassmen) vs. Alabama in the 2018 SECCG:

• Freshmen: 14
    • Juniors: 14
    • Seniors/Grad Students: 11

UGA started 11 underclassmen & 13 upperclassmen on offense/defense/STs (P & PK) vs. Bama in the 2018 SECCG.

Alabama's 51 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.67 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.

UGA's 53 players that played in the 2018 SECCG averaged 3.70 stars per player per the 247Sports Composite Recruiting Rankings.

Once again, those #'s don't mean a lot - at least not to me. 3.70 stars vs 3.67 stars. Is that a significant difference? What the heck does .03 difference even mean? Does it mean we under-achieved? If we did, was it due to the players, their youth, or coaching decisions? .03 what is always my first question.

• AirForceDawgAirForceDawg Posts: 160 ✭✭✭ Junior

@donm said:

Once again, those #'s don't mean a lot - at least not to me. 3.70 stars vs 3.67 stars. Is that a significant difference? What the heck does .03 difference even mean? Does it mean we under-achieved? If we did, was it due to the players, their youth, or coaching decisions? .03 what is always my first question.

Just some facts for those that think UGA is less talented, lacks depth, and is less experienced than Alabama.

Dawgs had 14-point second half leads vs. the Crimson Tide in two games this year, yet couldn't close out the game.

If talent/depth/experience isn't the issue, then is it coaching/S&C/mental/poor officiating/etc. that is preventing UGA from closing these games out on top?

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Learning to play completely for 4 full quarters and then some if necessary.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it in the 2nd half.

Put points on the board every chance we get.

This year's loss gets chalked up to coaching, in my opinion. Why were they messing with the rhythm of the offense by putting Fields in the game, especially on that last drive? I wanted to scream. In fact, I think I did.

We had the ball at midfield on two previous drives after the missed FG. 4th and 2 and 4th and 4. Midfield is where you want to go for a fake, so if it was about being aggressive why didn't Kirby fake it then instead of stupidly doing so on 4th and 11. I heard this on the radio the other day: He wasn't being aggressive. He was being reckless.

@donm said:

I forgot how to do algorithms 40 years ago so dunno but .03 might just mean 7 points.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JRT812 said:

@JRT812 said:

We could try running the ball in the 2nd half

• orlandoorlando Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Little better job coaching and players making plays. Keep choppin !!

@AirForceDawg said:

@donm said:

Just some facts for those that think UGA is less talented, lacks depth, and is less experienced than Alabama.

Dawgs had 14-point second half leads vs. the Crimson Tide in two games this year, yet couldn't close out the game.

If talent/depth/experience isn't the issue, then is it coaching/S&C/mental/poor officiating/etc. that is preventing UGA from closing these games out on top?

Sorry if this is too long for you guys. But UGA doesn't have a system in place like Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma does and they don't have the horses that those teams do. They don't have the horses because they have only been recruiting at a high level for 2-3 years. As for scheme: OU has been running theirs since 1999. Clemson has been since 2011. Ohio State since 2012. While Richt was running what Smart/Chaney/Tucker were doing in theory, in practice come on. UGA has only been recruiting at a high level at the positions that really matter for 2-3 years, and they have only had schemes that try to beat other teams physically - as opposed to trying to outcoach or outsmart them I guess - for that time.

So talent, depth and experience is the issue. It is totally the issue. UGA's coaching is absolutely marvelous. It has masked the fact that UGA's offensive line is a few average at best upperclassmen and a bunch of true freshmen and sophomores, several of whom were hurt on Saturday. If they have Cade Mays and Ben Cleveland on Saturday, DeAndre Swift and particularly Elijah Holyfield - who needs to pick up momentum because he doesn't have as much cutback ability - then UGA is able to run in the second half which sets up UGA's play action with Fromm.

People shouldn't be deceived at UGA getting first half leads against 'Bama. Bama hasn't been gameplanning for UGA truly, in particular because the SEC title game was after the Iron Bowl and the playoff final was after Clemson, giving them only 1 week to prepare. I repeat: Saban had only 1 week to prepare for UGA meaning that he didn't really get to gameplan for either. Instead Saban played his base offense and defense for the first half and then made halftime adjustments. That's why UGA was so horrible in the second half. They didn't have the talent to pressure the QBs in the second half like they did in the first or move the ball because the players that they have right now don't have the experience or ability to adjust.

Clemson had their schemes since 2011 - plus what Venables does on defense - and horses like DeShaun Watson and those 4 future first round NFL draft picks on the DL. That is what it takes to beat 'Bama. UGA with their worst in the SEC pass rush doesn't have anywhere near as good a DL right now. And if you think that Fromm's 300 yards passing against Alabama this year was great, Watson put up 1000 total yards and 8 TDs against Alabama in those 2 games and they still barely won one of them! Same deal: Ezekiel Elliot of Ohio State had a monster game and Ohio State still barely won. Cam Newton? Huge game to win 28-27. Johnny Manziel? More of the same. And those guys had help. Mike Williams of Clemson? 8 catches for 94 yards against that 'Bama secondary and was the #7 overall draft pick. Anyone think that Ridley, Godwin, Holloman or Hardman are anywhere near that caliber? And that Cam Newton Auburn team had 4 seniors and a junior on their OL. 4 seniors and a junior! Compare that to UGA's current OL.

BIg time talent, upperclassmen players etc. have the ability to deal with 'Bama's second half adjustments. UGA really doesn't have either right now. I like DeAndre Swift, but he is no Ezekiel Elliot. Not even close. Just like Fromm is no Watson, Newton, Tebow (who also beat 'Bama ... in 2008 but not 2009) or Manziel.

@a_rattler said:

@AirForceDawg said:

@donm said:

Sorry if this is too long for you guys. But UGA doesn't have a system in place like Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma does and they don't have the horses that those teams do. They don't have the horses because they have only been recruiting at a high level for 2-3 years. As for scheme: OU has been running theirs since 1999. Clemson has been since 2011. Ohio State since 2012. While Richt was running what Smart/Chaney/Tucker were doing in theory, in practice come on. UGA has only been recruiting at a high level at the positions that really matter for 2-3 years, and they have only had schemes that try to beat other teams physically - as opposed to trying to outcoach or outsmart them I guess - for that time.

So talent, depth and experience is the issue. It is totally the issue. UGA's coaching is absolutely marvelous. It has masked the fact that UGA's offensive line is a few average at best upperclassmen and a bunch of true freshmen and sophomores, several of whom were hurt on Saturday. If they have Cade Mays and Ben Cleveland on Saturday, DeAndre Swift and particularly Elijah Holyfield - who needs to pick up momentum because he doesn't have as much cutback ability - then UGA is able to run in the second half which sets up UGA's play action with Fromm.

People shouldn't be deceived at UGA getting first half leads against 'Bama. Bama hasn't been gameplanning for UGA truly, in particular because the SEC title game was after the Iron Bowl and the playoff final was after Clemson, giving them only 1 week to prepare. I repeat: Saban had only 1 week to prepare for UGA meaning that he didn't really get to gameplan for either. Instead Saban played his base offense and defense for the first half and then made halftime adjustments. That's why UGA was so horrible in the second half. They didn't have the talent to pressure the QBs in the second half like they did in the first or move the ball because the players that they have right now don't have the experience or ability to adjust.

Clemson had their schemes since 2011 - plus what Venables does on defense - and horses like DeShaun Watson and those 4 future first round NFL draft picks on the DL. That is what it takes to beat 'Bama. UGA with their worst in the SEC pass rush doesn't have anywhere near as good a DL right now. And if you think that Fromm's 300 yards passing against Alabama this year was great, Watson put up 1000 total yards and 8 TDs against Alabama in those 2 games and they still barely won one of them! Same deal: Ezekiel Elliot of Ohio State had a monster game and Ohio State still barely won. Cam Newton? Huge game to win 28-27. Johnny Manziel? More of the same. And those guys had help. Mike Williams of Clemson? 8 catches for 94 yards against that 'Bama secondary and was the #7 overall draft pick. Anyone think that Ridley, Godwin, Holloman or Hardman are anywhere near that caliber? And that Cam Newton Auburn team had 4 seniors and a junior on their OL. 4 seniors and a junior! Compare that to UGA's current OL.

BIg time talent, upperclassmen players etc. have the ability to deal with 'Bama's second half adjustments. UGA really doesn't have either right now. I like DeAndre Swift, but he is no Ezekiel Elliot. Not even close. Just like Fromm is no Watson, Newton, Tebow (who also beat 'Bama ... in 2008 but not 2009) or Manziel.

TLDR

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@a_rattler said:

@AirForceDawg said:

@donm said:

I think you're severely underrating UGA's talent. We've played 160 minutes worth of football against Bama these past 11 months and have led for over 158 of those minutes. We have the talent. We have the coaching. We have the gameplans. Sometimes you just gotta tip your cap to the other team. Bama just had back to back story book ending type games and they both just so happened to be against our beloved dawgs. Kirby is going to PREACH finishing the drill, all spring and all summer and we will see these boys finish the drill next year I have zero doubt in my mind. Literally zero doubt.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Rattler, you are certainly entitled to write your football Phd thesis on a UGA fan board, but just so we know where you are coming from, Tech fan? Ohio State? What is your team?

• 101ina45101ina45 Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

@a_rattler said:

@AirForceDawg said:

@donm said:

Sorry but Swift is 100% in the same class as Elliot