Comparing the 2003 and 2018 Seasons

SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

Now I know there is a collective eye roll among a lot of people in the forum because many of us are fairly level headed and trust in Kirby. Yet, the masses as of late seem to be questioning him and continuously bringing up how Kirby has the same win totals as Richt and so on. So, since I am bored out of my mind working a night shift, I thought I'd dive into the two seasons and compare the information we have so far.

In 2003, Georgia finished with an 11-3 record. They beat 3 ranked teams (one in post season - and only 2 ranked at end of season via the BCS) and lost to 3 ranked teams (@#11 LSU, #23 Florida, #3 LSU). They won against 5 bowl eligible teams (Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and post season Purdue). Average margin of victory in all wins: 18.2 pts per game. In wins vs bowl eligible teams: 20 pts per game.

In 2018, Georgia is at a 11-2 record. They have beaten 4 ranked teams (3 currently ranked and then a possible 5th ranked team in Texas waiting) and lost to 2 (@#13 LSU and #1 Alabama). They have beaten 8 bowl eligible teams (South Carolina, Middle Tennessee State, Missouri, Vanderbilt, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn, and Georgia Tech - and still have Texas to face to make it possibly 9). To add to this, Purdue in 2003 was the 3rd best team in their conference while Texas is the second best this season. Average margin of victory in all wins: 26.8 pts per game. In wins vs bowl eligible teams: 23.1 pts per game.

Basically, despite having a far harder schedule, Kirby Smart has won by more points overall despite letting off the gas many times at the start of the 3rd quarter against fairly competent teams. Richt got to the SEC Championship in 2003 with the help of a pretty manageable schedule while Kirby made it through despite a tough schedule.

Comments

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We've also made comparisons between Richt and Kirby's first 2 seasons as well. Now the comparisons of their 3rd years. 2003 Georgia lost a close game to LSU in Death Valley and lost by double digits to Saban in the SEC Championship Game. 2018 Georgia lost by double digits to LSU in Death Valley and lost a close game to Saban in the SEC Championship Game. Hopefully 2018 Georgia wins the Sugar Bowl against Texas so we can be 12-2 instead of 11-3 like the 2003 team.

Now I hope 2019 for Georgia isn't like 2004 for Georgia when we also had a lot of high expectations with returning players and we fell flat. It's hard to win the East 3 years in a row. Most teams don't do it outside of Bama in the west or Florida in the 90's. In 2019 ends up being a disappointing like 2004, then 2019 would be like our 1979 and 2020 would be like our 1980. I could easily see it playing out that way.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we can all agree that Richt left Kirby with a much better program than the one Jim Donnan handed over to Mark Richt.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice post.

• SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Bankwalker said:
    I think we can all agree that Richt left Kirby with a much better program than the one Jim Donnan handed over to Mark Richt.

I agree to an extent. But much of the first season under Kirby showed the complete issues of Richts years - such as terrible OLine recruiting/development. I wouldn't say we're near as bad but Kirby didn't exactly inherit a championship program at his time.

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

No we cannot agree with that at all. Richt won his only 2 SEC titles with Donnan QBs that Richt never would have recruited. UGA's OL, LB and DL play was never again as good as it was his first 3 years and it took Richt awhile to recruit RBs as good as Musa Smith and Verron Haynes.

Richt left UGA in such poor shape that they couldn't even run Chubb or Michel on a critical down to beat Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT. 3 years into the job Richt was still heavily relying on Donnan recruits at most starting spots. 3 years later Richt's recruits are barely playing especially on offense and Richt was an offense guy.

I really liked Richt as a person. I own the Facing The Giants DVD and everything. But as Miami is finding out right now he is not an elite football coach.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@Bankwalker said:

No we cannot agree with that at all. Richt won his only 2 SEC titles with Donnan QBs that Richt never would have recruited. UGA's OL, LB and DL play was never again as good as it was his first 3 years and it took Richt awhile to recruit RBs as good as Musa Smith and Verron Haynes.

Richt left UGA in such poor shape that they couldn't even run Chubb or Michel on a critical down to beat Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT. 3 years into the job Richt was still heavily relying on Donnan recruits at most starting spots. 3 years later Richt's recruits are barely playing especially on offense and Richt was an offense guy.

I really liked Richt as a person. I own the Facing The Giants DVD and everything. But as Miami is finding out right now he is not an elite football coach.

Yeah, that Vanderbilt game. Thank goodness we got those short yardage run situations finally resolved now that we have Kirby's guys.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:

@Bankwalker said:

Wasn't DJ Shockley a Richt recruit?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@a_rattler said:

@Bankwalker said:

Shockley is considered Richt's first recruit, much like Richie -> Kirby.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@Kasey said:

@a_rattler said:

@Bankwalker said:

Shockley is considered Richt's first recruit, much like Richie -> Kirby.

That’s what I thought...but why let facts get in the way of a good story

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

No. Similar to Jacob Eason, recruited by Richt but signed by Smart, Donnan invested a lot of time into Shockley, who was ultimately signed by Richt.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Junior

Prior to getting the Georgia job Richt had been recruiting Shockley for Fla. State.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

@a_rattler said:

Richt left UGA in such poor shape that they couldn't even run Chubb or Michel on a critical down to beat Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT.

I don't know why we did that play against Vandy. Jet sweep right with McKenzie carrying. Chubb was lead blocker, and if you watch the film, Chubb, in a rare mistake, missed the block on Vandy's inside linebacker, who stuffed the play and ended the game. Chubb makes that block, and it's a TD...easily. Nothing but green grass and opportunity was waiting after that, because they had sold out for the run.....and McKenzie wasn't gonna be caught from behind on a run like that. Right play....just wasn't executed properly....which in turn made Kirby look bad.