Herbstreit goes after CFB Committee -- Wow

MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 298 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Those committee members will be looking for a hole to crawl in after Herbstreit's rant on Tuesday .... https://dawgs.us/2Eb4pgj

I added the On the Beat video from Monday at the bottom of the story, I was a little more pointed in why things went down the way they did

Comments

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith I saw that video of him spitting fire at the committee this morning on facebook and he hit all the points perfectly. The last person I would think to side with Georgia spoke the truth about the committee.

• DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 67 ✭✭ Sophomore

Read the transcript in the article. I think for me if Oklahoma was at 4 going into this past weekend it would have made more sense. Also the composition of the committee doesn't seem appropriate. I would get rid of current AD's . Like Herbie said the political pressure of being in the face of Oklahoma AD and saying Georgia is better would have taken that group of people some guts. The 3 conferences left out would have been another issue. That would have probably triggered a change . Like I read from I think Peter Burns on twitter if Byu went undefeated with Notre Dame schedule they do not get in playoff. That's another wrinkle for future years.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's interesting that Herbie is going to bat for UGA and doesn't seem too upset at OSU not making the playoffs. OSU has a better argument than UGA for that 4th playoff spot, but he's all fired up about UGA. I think OSU should be in there over OU.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Junior

Like everybody should, the man simply wants to c the ABSOLUTE best 4 teams and for the committee to not give us that is a GROSS injustice to people that TRULY love the sport like Herbstreit. Noone on that committee would give a nickle for Oklahoma's or Notre Dames chances to beat Georgia. Not 1 of them. Hence the justifiable outrage over Georgias omission.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Preach it, Herbie!

I have to admit, I didn't think the committee would put Georgia in so I wasn't outraged when the teams were announced. After reading that rant by KH, I'm a little ticked off about it. Screw politics. It creeps into everything and makes cowards out of too many otherwise decent people.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 5

This is why it should be expanded. Too many wrinkles and variables will be coming down the pipe year after year now since Bama ain't the only bully on the block anymore. No loss, 1 loss, 2 loss, conference champ, non conference champ, no member of conference. See what I'm getting at? It's gonna become a coin toss as more teams have better seasons. Now we see coaches having to lobby, campaign and debate to even be considered. They should never even have to do that.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia is now being used by people who want to see expanded playoffs. Everyone who likes the Big 10 wants to see it because they keep getting left out. Hypocrisy, iyam. NEVER in the past would anyone have ever argued for a 2 loss team, but this is the year we have enough teams to fill 8 slots. The conversation will shift very soon.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That there be malcontents like Herbstriet is an integral part of the system. Without them, the system has no method of expanding itself. Because it needs a way to insist it needs “fixing”.

And in this case, the fixing is a new magic number, 8 > 4, so the masses will be easily led to believe 8 is better than 4.

I wonder if Herbstriet is in on the scam? You have to be really willing to go to pains to work with the system to get a job like Herbstriet’s got. It’s not like we don’t got guys who know about football. But how many guys have we got that know football and are willing to toe the ESPN company line?

Hard to say if Herbstriet is a pasty or a dupe. The system probably doesn’t care. It’ll just get rid of him if he manages to accomplish something that gets in their way.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    It's interesting that Herbie is going to bat for UGA and doesn't seem too upset at OSU not making the playoffs. OSU has a better argument than UGA for that 4th playoff spot, but he's all fired up about UGA. I think OSU should be in there over OU.

Why so? OSU got blown out by unranked Purdue while Oklahoma lost by 3 to ranked Texas in a neutral site. I like watching Oklahoma play more than OSU. OSU really is low key trash.

Yes, Oklahoma scraped by against Army, but to the committee, a win is a win. No matter how ****. Just look at Notre Dame against Ball State, Vandy, Pitt, and USC.

@levander said:
    That there be malcontents like Herbstriet is an integral part of the system. Without them, the system has no method of expanding itself. Because it needs a way to insist it needs “fixing”.

And in this case, the fixing is a new magic number, 8 > 4, so the masses will be easily led to believe 8 is better than 4.

I wonder if Herbstriet is in on the scam? You have to be really willing to go to pains to work with the system to get a job like Herbstriet’s got. It’s not like we don’t got guys who know about football. But how many guys have we got that know football and are willing to toe the ESPN company line?

Hard to say if Herbstriet is a pasty or a dupe. The system probably doesn’t care. It’ll just get rid of him if he manages to accomplish something that gets in their way.

Oooooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyyy.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Herbstreit was not alone in his opinion. Even those media who were happy with the CFP committee selections had to admit Georgia was one of the 4 best teams. In the end, the "4 best" standard gave way to political standards. All I want is well defined criteria that is consistently applied. Herby is making the case I have made.

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

How is losing to Purdue by 29 points better than losing to Texas by 3? Outside of one win against Michigan how can you say they are more impressive than Oklahoma? They both played TCU and Oklahoma beat them worse. Neither team fully dominated their opponents on a week by week basis but I don't understand how any team losing to Purdue can be more deserving than the 2 teams ranked ahead of them.

OU is not a playoff caliber team. Their defense is atrocious. The only reason their QB has great stats is because he HAS to put up those absurd stats. A team that gives up 32 points and 450 yards per game should not be in the playoffs. That’s how I look at it. OSU played one bad game, but they know how to play a little bit of defense. They are a more complete team.

• Dawg14Dawg14 Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

How is losing to Purdue by 29 points better than losing to Texas by 3? Outside of one win against Michigan how can you say they are more impressive than Oklahoma? They both played TCU and Oklahoma beat them worse. Neither team fully dominated their opponents on a week by week basis but I don't understand how any team losing to Purdue can be more deserving than the 2 teams ranked ahead of them.

OU is not a playoff caliber team. Their defense is atrocious. The only reason their QB has great stats is because he HAS to put up those absurd stats. A team that gives up 32 points and 450 yards per game should not be in the playoffs. That’s how I look at it. OSU played one bad game, but they know how to play a little bit of defense. They are a more complete team.

False. Ohio State plays in the big ten where offensive scoring is lower than big 12 scoring. However, Ohio State still managed to give up 31 points to Oregon state and 31 points to 2-7 Nebraska whom they only beat by 5 points. They gave up 39 to Michigan, 51 to Maryland and 49 to Purdue. They would give up just any many points as Oklahomas defense if they played in the big 12.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

False. Ohio State plays in the big ten where offensive scoring is lower than big 12 scoring. However, Ohio State still managed to give up 31 points to Oregon state and 31 points to 2-7 Nebraska whom they only beat by 5 points. They gave up 39 to Michigan, 51 to Maryland and 49 to Purdue. They would give up just any many points as Oklahomas defense if they played in the big 12.

@pgjackson I have to agree with @Dawg14 on this. Even though OSU hung 62 on UM, their overall performance against other teams were less than stellar. Purdue, Maryland (really?) and just the other games that were very subpar. Pretty sure that's why Herbie jumped off his Alma Mater love fest and sided with the Dawgs. That and I don't think he cared too much for CUM........

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

Is this your method of trying to induce a discussion?

Or is it just kind of your tag line, where you walking around the street saying that to random people?

@ghostofuga1 said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

@pgjackson I have to agree with @Dawg14 on this. Even though OSU hung 62 on UM, their overall performance against other teams were less than stellar. Purdue, Maryland (really?) and just the other games that were very subpar. Pretty sure that's why Herbie jumped off his Alma Mater love fest and sided with the Dawgs. That and I don't think he cared too much for CUM........

Someone is going to have to sing me the praises of OU then, because I am not impressed. Just saying between the two, I think OSU is more deserving.

@levander said:

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

Or is it just kind of your tag line, where you walking around the street saying that to random people?

This is me responding to dismissive douchebaggery in kind.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 96 ✭✭✭ Junior

@PTDawg said:
    To me this exposes a fundamental flaw in how college football rankings have worked for years. On some random Fall Saturday:

• #1 plays and beats #20
    • The same Saturday #23 plays and beats an unranked opponent

What does everyone do? #20 moves down to #24 or so and #23 moves up to #20 or so. How does that make any logical sense? Based on the rankings going into the weekend that was exactly what was expected to happen! Yet everyone now says that the team that lost to #1 isn't as good as another team that was ranked below them and beat an unranked team. It is the lazy way out and requires the voter to have no real knowledge of teams whatsoever. Has driven me crazy for decades. You simply cannot use record alone to establish the quality of a team when the teams they're compared against play none or almost none of the same teams.

I've always felt this way. Not that I would EVER lobby for the Barn, but the committee put them at #24 in the rankings the week they played us, they go on to lose 2 of last 3 games on the road to top 5 teams. If you really thought they were #24, then you shouldn't punish them for losing to teams that they are supposed to lose to. Keep them in the rankings after those Ls.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

OK @pjjackson - I'm not weighing in on the argument of whether OU is playoff caliber or not - but the comment about their QB only having great stats because he has to is absurd. Kyler has great stats because he is very special.

He took over the QB position in the middle of his freshman year @ Allen High School. Allen High plays 6A, the largest classification in the state of Texas. He was undefeated in 4 seasons (8-0, 16-0, 16-0 & 16-0) with 4 state titles. The young man is special and will cause Alabama many problems.

But then again - I still probably agree with you that OU isn't playoff worthy because of their defense.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

@texdawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

OK @pjjackson - I'm not weighing in on the argument of whether OU is playoff caliber or not - but the comment about their QB only having great stats because he has to is absurd. Kyler has great stats because he is very special.

He took over the QB position in the middle of his freshman year @ Allen High School. Allen High plays 6A, the largest classification in the state of Texas. He was undefeated in 4 seasons (8-0, 16-0, 16-0 & 16-0) with 4 state titles. The young man is special and will cause Alabama many problems.

But then again - I still probably agree with you that OU isn't playoff worthy because of their defense.

Wow...i didn't realize this kid was undefeated in HS. I knew he was special but dang, that's impressive. So basically K.Murray has only lost one game his entire life and it was only by a couple points. Nice

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

GrayDawg is because your hair is gray and your old? It’s weird you have so little understanding of how the world works.

I wasn’t dismissing Herbstriet. I was point out his importance to the system.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@texdawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

Wow...i didn't realize this kid was undefeated in HS. I knew he was special but dang, that's impressive. So basically K.Murray has only lost one game his entire life and it was only by a couple points. Nice

I do believe he lost 1 or 2 games as the A&M starter. Can't remember if he or Kyle Allen started those games.

But yes, his run in high school was phenomenal and he played against some great teams in the playoffs.

@texdawg said:

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@texdawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Dawg14 said:

@pgjackson said:

I do believe he lost 1 or 2 games as the A&M starter. Can't remember if he or Kyle Allen started those games.

But yes, his run in high school was phenomenal and he played against some great teams in the playoffs.

Ohhh yeah, aTm totally slipped my mind. Still impressive though.

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 17 ✭✭ Sophomore

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

@GrayDawg said:

@levander said:

FWIW, I thought you were imitating an atlanta legend - Lil John...

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PTDawg said:
    To me this exposes a fundamental flaw in how college football rankings have worked for years. On some random Fall Saturday:

• #1 plays and beats #20

What does everyone do? #20 moves down to #24 or so and #23 moves up to #20 or so. How does that make any logical sense? Based on the rankings going into the weekend that was exactly what was expected to happen! Yet everyone now says that the team that lost to #1 isn't as good as another team that was ranked below them and beat an unranked team. It is the lazy way out and requires the voter to have no real knowledge of teams whatsoever. Has driven me crazy for decades. You simply cannot use record alone to establish the quality of a team when the teams they're compared against play none or almost none of the same teams.

Nicely stated.

Herbstreit's stock has definitely increased in my view. He has for sure not been a UGA fan over the years and has been somewhat of a homer for Ohio State, right? That makes what he's saying now sound much less self-interested and much more credible.

I'm okay with leaving Georgia out of the playoffs, but I still think we're one of the top four teams. I think the rankings at season's end will reflect that fact, assuming we play as well as we should in the Sugar Bowl.

We should have figured out how to beat either LSU or Alabama. I think we had an LSU associated bad game coupled with an LSU great game, but I think we totally just blew it against Alabama in a game we should have won. In any event, had we won one of those games we'd be in the playoffs.

Go, Dawgs!

@JimWallace said:

@PTDawg said:

• #1 plays and beats #20

Nicely stated.

Herbstreit's stock has definitely increased in my view. He has for sure not been a UGA fan over the years and has been somewhat of a homer for Ohio State, right? That makes what he's saying now sound much less self-interested and much more credible.

I'm okay with leaving Georgia out of the playoffs, but I still think we're one of the top four teams. I think the rankings at season's end will reflect that fact, assuming we play as well as we should in the Sugar Bowl.

We should have figured out how to beat either LSU or Alabama. I think we had an LSU associated bad game coupled with an LSU great game, but I think we totally just blew it against Alabama in a game we should have won. In any event, had we won one of those games we'd be in the playoffs.

Go, Dawgs!

I agree, man. LSU was a fluke. Georgia played their worst game of the season and LSU played their best. We would've won that game atleast 8 times outta 10 IMO.

@Bulldawg1982 said:

@JimWallace said:

@PTDawg said:

• #1 plays and beats #20

Nicely stated.

Go, Dawgs!

I agree, man. LSU was a fluke. Georgia played their worst game of the season and LSU played their best. We would've won that game atleast 8 times outta 10 IMO.

It was a lesson the ‘18 Bulldogs needed though. Jake was the most notable, but the entire team started playing better. Part of Jake’s improvement may have been was WC kept talking about, and the coaching adjusted and stopped trotting Justin out there for a couple of plays every time Jake got the least little bit in the weeds.