8 Team Playoff

GBALGBAL Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

All for going to 8 team playoff. Just think that's the right number. My preference would be 5 Power 5 conference winners (IF RANKED IN TOP 15 per committee) and then highest ranked fill out the 8. Don't understand the resistance? A common reason is: You would have to do away with the Conference Championship games. WHY? Another common reason: It would make the regular season meaningless. WHY? Input?

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 5

@GBAL said:
    All for going to 8 team playoff. Just think that's the right number. My preference would be 5 Power 5 conference winners (IF RANKED IN TOP 15 per committee) and then highest ranked fill out the 8. Don't understand the resistance? A common reason is: You would have to do away with the Conference Championship games. WHY? Another common reason: It would make the regular season meaningless. WHY? Input?

I think that is where we're going. No need to scrap the bowl system all P5 champs get in and we'll have the flexibility to take 3 worthy teams outside of the P5 construct. We could have OSU, Washington, UFC and UGA along with the 4 in this format. Guess what though, we'd play Oklahoma in rd 1 since they are #4 and we're #5.

First rd

Bama vs Washington
    Clemson vs UCF
    ND vs OSU
    UGA vs Oklahoma

• corai3corai3 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like the caveat that they have to be in the top 15. The premise that all P5 conference winners should be in is ridiculous because upsets happens and a 4-5 loss team shouldn't be in the playoff. I wouldn't mind the little man getting in. You saw what happened when Boise got their shot against Okla and what UCF did against Auburn. I still don't think that UCF should be a top 4 team, but a top 8 team sure. You could even put the caveat that if a G5 team finishes in the top 15 then they get an automatic bid.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who decides the "worthy" teams

@dawgnms said:

The same people who decide 1 thru 4.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Top 12 ranked conference winners or I'm out!

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

But are they "worthy" to decide

@corai3 said:
    I like the caveat that they have to be in the top 15. The premise that all P5 conference winners should be in is ridiculous because upsets happens and a 4-5 loss team shouldn't be in the playoff. I wouldn't mind the little man getting in. You saw what happened when Boise got their shot against Okla and what UCF did against Auburn. I still don't think that UCF should be a top 4 team, but a top 8 team sure. You could even put the caveat that if a G5 team finishes in the top 15 then they get an automatic bid.

I would put in all P5 champions, just like all division champions are automatic in every pro sport league and every other level of football.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The problem with putting in all Power 5 conference champions is that it makes out of conference games meaningless. Out of conference games would essentially become preseason games. This problem would be even worse is you had to be a conference champion ranked in the top 15. Why play anyone difficult out of conference? Take the cupcake win and go win the conference.

I like the current set up with 4 teams in. It encourages strong out of conference games and only takes teams that are truly deserving.

• GeauxDawgsSicEmGeauxDawgsSicEm Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Yeah. It makes total sense too. I think the major pushback is these Big Six contract bowls (Rose, Sugar, Peach, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton) will no longer get their takes on the teams for the year's they're not hosting the CFP. The bracket system (ranking) throws the notion out the window.

I'd much rather play an OSU, Mich, UCF, or another "at large" Top 10 team that doesn't have to match these silly contract bowl stipulations. Makes bowl assignments easier though, I suppose?

I believe TV $$$ will win this battle in the end and we'll get our 8-team playoff. May be awhile though.

edited December 5

@MIghtydawg said:
    The problem with putting in all Power 5 conference champions is that it makes out of conference games meaningless. Out of conference games would essentially become preseason games. This problem would be even worse is you had to be a conference champion ranked in the top 15. Why play anyone difficult out of conference? Take the cupcake win and go win the conference.

I like the current set up with 4 teams in. It encourages strong out of conference games and only takes teams that are truly deserving.

It's imperfect, but a tie inside a conference has tie breakers, overall record being the 1st comparison. We might have a team rest starters after sewing up their division, but it seems like something that wouldn't happen very often, it's a valid point you make though.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 5

@WCDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

It's imperfect, but a tie inside a conference has tie breakers, overall record being the 1st comparison. We might have a team rest starters after sewing up the conference, but that seems like something that wouldn't happen very often.

If it were not Georgia Tech, UGA may very well do that if it was scheduled to play a triple option, cut block team the week before a championship game.

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

Yes, unless you want to apply for the job.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

@WCDawg said:

@GBAL said:

I think that is where we're going. No need to scrap the bowl system all P5 champs get in and we'll have the flexibility to take 3 worthy teams outside of the P5 construct. We could have OSU, Washington, UFC and UGA along with the 4 in this format. Guess what though, we'd play Oklahoma in rd 1 since they are #4 and we're #5.

First rd

Bama vs Washington
    Clemson vs UCF
    ND vs OSU
    UGA vs Oklahoma

Would be interesting.... per CFP 25, i wouldnt see UCF in. Ranked behind Michigan. I'd really UCF over a 3 loss Washington Confrence champ.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GBAL said:

If we move to 8 teams we'll just cry about the #9 & #10 teams being left out. Regarding why they may get rid of conference championships (I doubt they would at 8 teams) but it's because these kids are student athletes, you can't keep adding games to kids who aren't getting paid. And regarding making the regular season meaningless, is you no longer have to chase perfection, meaning every single regular season game was like a playoff before, but won't be in the future. You can't lose (ahem, LSU) and expect to backdoor your way in. Now you would be able to. Aka, you no longer have to worry about 1 or 2 losses a year. That makes the regular season less exciting.

@MIghtydawg said:

That is why I like the "and in top 12 0r 15" or minimal # wins.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can't wait for it to happen. It's pretty hard to not be in the top 8 but still have some kind of legitimate argument that you are the best team in the country. It would, potentially, reward the top seeds with the seemingly easier early round pairing. You might even be able to throw in home field advantage for the top 4 teams. That should provide enough incentive to schedule well out of conference.

@GrayDawg said:
    I can't wait for it to happen. It's pretty hard to not be in the top 8 but still have some kind of legitimate argument that you are the best team in the country. It would, potentially, reward the top seeds with the seemingly easier early round pairing. You might even be able to throw in home field advantage for the top 4 teams. That should provide enough incentive to schedule well out of conference.

Like that.... first round at highest seeds campus and deeding done just like it is now.

@Teddy said:

@GBAL said:

If we move to 8 teams we'll just cry about the #9 & #10 teams being left out. Regarding why they may get rid of conference championships (I doubt they would at 8 teams) but it's because these kids are student athletes, you can't keep adding games to kids who aren't getting paid. And regarding making the regular season meaningless, is you no longer have to chase perfection, meaning every single regular season game was like a playoff before, but won't be in the future. You can't lose (ahem, LSU) and expect to backdoor your way in. Now you would be able to. Aka, you no longer have to worry about 1 or 2 losses a year. That makes the regular season less exciting.

Hear your points but not sure i think the regular season is less exciting. You have two paths to get in: Win conference or stay ranked in top 7-8. 4 of 5 conference winners this year were also ranked in top 6. Washington being 10-3 and ranked 9. ND, UGA, and Mich would be at large highest rank maybe. Would have been some really exciting games down the stretch across the country from teams fighting to GET IN.

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

Nah quit working after I got fired from my last job, to easy to go on welfare and disability during the Obummer years

Some calling for 6. No Way IMO. Bye teams at too big a disadvantage over other 4.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GBAL said:

@Teddy said:

@GBAL said:

Hear your points but not sure i think the regular season is less exciting. You have two paths to get in: Win conference or stay ranked in top 7-8. 4 of 5 conference winners this year were also ranked in top 6. Washington being 10-3 and ranked 9. ND, UGA, and Mich would be at large highest rank maybe. Would have been some really exciting games down the stretch across the country from teams fighting to GET IN.

It's not about "exciting games down the stretch," as we already have that. It's about most deserving, and Washington isn't deserving of a chance to play for it all. You need to do top 8 and that's it, no conference affiliation ever. UCF and their awful SOS don't deserve to play for it either. Otherwise, UGA should move to the Sun Belt, Big12, or PAC and dominate and guarantee their spot in the playoff every year. Or at least go to ACC and all you have to do is beat Clemson, and if Clemson is your only loss, you'll still get in, as there's a 99% chance you're one of the top at-large teams.

Agree on Wash... myself ..... as not deserving at 9-3.... BUT many calling for P5 conference winners in regardless of rank and that would put them IN. ???

And another point of mine...... Deserving = Best. No differentiating between the two in my opinion. So I would agree with you in this scenario that Washington should be left out. Should then be a UCF Michigan argument based on rank.

@GBAL said:

@WCDawg said:

@GBAL said:

First rd

Bama vs Washington
    Clemson vs UCF
    ND vs OSU
    UGA vs Oklahoma

Would be interesting.... per CFP 25, i wouldnt see UCF in. Ranked behind Michigan. I'd really UCF over a 3 loss Washington Confrence champ.

You're correct, #9 Washington would bump #8 UCF by virtue of winning the Pac...however many.

@GBAL said:
    Agree on Wash... myself ..... as not deserving at 9-3.... BUT many calling for P5 conference winners in regardless of rank and that would put them IN. ???

And another point of mine...... Deserving = Best. No differentiating between the two in my opinion. So I would agree with you in this scenario that Washington should be left out. Should then be a UCF Michigan argument based on rank.

Washington is ranked just 1 spot behind UCF at #9, so it's not like it would be a big reach.
    The San Francisco baseball Giants got left out with 101 wins, which was better than all but 2 playoff teams one year.
    It's still the most reasonable approach though.

• Chitown_DawgChitown_Dawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

That wouldn’t make non conference games irrelevant. It might make them more so. Playing good teams close but not winning wouldn’t eliminate you. Also, I like the whole country being involved. I believe that UGA, Bama, Clemson, OSU have the best talent, but it’s exciting to see teams with completely different schemes play (see Okl.-UGA last year). WSU, OR, USC, UCLA would be fun to see against the southern Big boys. Also, if an upset happened in a conf championship happened, so be it. Teams that were really coming on after a rough early season would be rewarded instead of knowing they’re eliminated after week 5.

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

Nah quit working after I got fired from my last job, to easy to go on welfare and disability during the Obummer years

Yeah.. work blows.
    I've been forced into early retirement by neck and back issues, that blows worse.

@GBAL said:

Everyone North of the Mason-Dixon plus everyone on other side of the Mississippi wants them in regardless of rank. They are worried if they just move to 8 teams the SEC will get 3 spots every year.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure you can keep the Conference Championships and go to an 8 team playoff, because of the additional game.

edited December 5

@Bankwalker said:

@GBAL said:

Everyone North of the Mason-Dixon plus everyone on other side of the Mississippi wants them in regardless of rank. They are worried if they just move to 8 teams the SEC will get 3 spots every year.

These conspiracy theories don't hold water. If you look at how often SEC teams are chosen when teams from other regions have similar qualifications., if anything we've received preferential treatment over the past 15 years.

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@GBAL said:

These conspiracy theories don't hold water. If you look at how often SEC teams are chosen when teams from other regions could easily be justified, if anything we've received preferential treatment over the past 15 years.

I think you need to edit for clarity