Is eric stokes a future first round pick as early as aster his junior year?

cd1044cd1044 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I had to pick to bulldog who had the biggest breakout year it would be eric stokes. He was phenomenal every time he got on the field and im glad kirby finally started him toward the end of the year. 9 pass breakups for someone who didn't always start is impressive. I truly believe stokes will be a preseason all-sec pick and have an all american season next year and he has the measurements that NFL teams want to see in corners. He's 6'1 with long arms, track speed, great athleticism, great technique(tremendous development by kirby and the staff) and fluid and explosive hips. He is also great at staying in his receiver's hip pocket as it showed against bama as wr henry ruggs( who will at worst be a 2nd round pick after his junior year) struggled getting separation when stokes was guarding him. In fact, I believe in man coverage stokes only gave up 1 catch against bama and that was just a 10 yard pass caught by smith. The only thing he might be lacking is ball skills but in his defense he has never really had many pick opportunities this year. I believe with a full year starting next year, he will be an all-sec player, an all american and a first round pick next year. What to yall think.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He took a big step up this year. I think he will need to stay all four years to fully realize his potential. When he's done he should be a first round pick

• cd1044cd1044 Posts: 414 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:
    He took a big step up this year. I think he will need to stay all four years to fully realize his potential. When he's done he should be a first round pick

You could be right how he did against alabama's receiving core who are full of future nfl players showed me hes ready to be a first round pick after next yearespecially when re watching the game. Guys legitimately couldn't get open on stokes whenever they called a go route t he ran stride for stride almost every time and that pb he made in the endzone at the beginning of the game is special recovery speed while also showing off his length. Think his size and skillset will make nfl teams take him in the first round. I hope your right tho because I would love for stokes to stay after next year but if he builds on how he did this season I would be shocked if he stayed one more year

@cd1044 said:

@Kasey said:

You could be right how he did against alabama's receiving core who are full of future nfl players showed me hes ready to be a first round pick after next yearespecially when re watching the game. Guys legitimately couldn't get open on stokes whenever they called a go route t he ran stride for stride almost every time and that pb he made in the endzone at the beginning of the game is special recovery speed while also showing off his length. Think his size and skillset will make nfl teams take him in the first round. I hope your right tho because I would love for stokes to stay after next year but if he builds on how he did this season I would be shocked if he stayed one more year

I want to see him do it for a whole year, but you might be right

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm taking a wait and see approach. I still think Tyson Campbell is the real deal, he just needs more time.

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    I'm taking a wait and see approach. I still think Tyson Campbell is the real deal, he just needs more time.

oh yea I also am high on campbell too. He just needs to work on turning his head around to aviod pi's becaue he usually is in good position I just beleive stokes will be a first round pick after next year eventhoI also think campbell has a chanceof becoming that in the future too

@Kasey said:

@cd1044 said:

@Kasey said:

I want to see him do it for a whole year, but you might be right

I agree i also want to see another good year but stokes is the type of player that will only get better he seems likea hungry and confident player

• 12ed12ed Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, here's the thing..
    wait for it.
    wait

WAAAITTT

247 profile says he's 6'0, he might end up a tad too tall. He might start regressing if he grows anymore.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Proud of the young man

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tae Crowder to me Eric Stokes second

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ Junior

Juwaun Taylor gets no respect around here

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@12ed said:
    Well, here's the thing..
    wait for it.
    wait

WAAAITTT

247 profile says he's 6'0, he might end up a tad too tall. He might start regressing if he grows anymore.

Agreed. I say we just put some weight on him and throw him at RB since Dell couldn't bring in another 5* this cycle. We need all the help we can get back there.

@EastAtlDawg said:

Taylor is slept on as well but stokes like like an emerging superstar near the end of the season

• Midnite_TrainMidnite_Train Posts: 449 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@EastAtlDawg said:

I mean Taylor was a senior and had a up and down season, as did the entire LB corps.

I think everyone in this thread is impressed with how Stokes took a starting spot from a top recruit in the country and had a great game against one of the best WR/QB combos of all time

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stokes has been bubbling since camp. I remember listening to the Podcast and Kirby praising him and Davis. CKS definitely has an eye for talent. He might have a future in this business....

@DGDinNYC said:
    Stokes has been bubbling since camp. I remember listening to the Podcast and Kirby praising him and Davis. CKS definitely has an eye for talent. He might have a future in this business....

Tru he was getting multiple snaps with the 1’s for a good reason clearly. Stokes is going to be special he reminds me of Denzel Ward in terms of explosive hips, great foot speed and long speed and amazing st staying in the wr’s hip pocket

@Midnite_Train said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

I mean Taylor was a senior and had a up and down season, as did the entire LB corps.

I think everyone in this thread is impressed with how Stokes took a starting spot from a top recruit in the country and had a great game against one of the best WR/QB combos of all time

This is exactly it. I was high on stokes but wanted to see how he would do against that alabama receiving core with tua leading it and him shutting down his side of the field when he’s guarisng guys like devonta smith and Henry ruggs(their fastest receivers) while also running stride for stride with them shows me this kid will be a star

@cd1044 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

Tru he was getting multiple snaps with the 1’s for a good reason clearly. Stokes is going to be special he reminds me of Denzel Ward in terms of explosive hips, great foot speed and long speed and amazing st staying in the wr’s hip pocket

I agree. We're going to need a great "Legion Of Boom" type nickname for the corners next year. Stokes, Campbell, Smith, Wilson, Webb, and hopefully Stevenson. Looking at the highlights I think Stevenson is a future pro.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

@cd1044 said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

Taylor is slept on as well but stokes like like an emerging superstar near the end of the season

Fact

@DGDinNYC said:

@cd1044 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

I agree. We're going to need a great "Legion Of Boom" type nickname for the corners next year. Stokes, Campbell, Smith, Wilson, Webb, and hopefully Stevenson. Looking at the highlights I think Stevenson is a future pro.

Agreed very high on Stevenson as well kid has huge upside. Imo we will def have the best seocndaryvin the country next year. Divaad Wilson before he got hurt was rlly competing for that slot job as a freshmen. I love the explosive he brings to the table I feel he will win the slot job for next year. Tyson campbell I truly believe will be a star next year. He was raw coming out of hs despite being a 5 star Kirby will get him rift if campbell jus learns to consistently turn his head around he will be special. And you already know how I feel about stokes. Wirh stokes and Campbell on the boundary and Wilson manning the slot with reed and lecounte as the safeties (also don’t sleep on Lewis cine he will also be special imo) our secondary will be deadly

edited December 5

Welp, how that prediction turn out? https://t.co/YDOElH1M0v

— Eric Stokes Jr (@_jamane_) December 2, 2018

Eric putting this Bama writer in the ether

@Kasey said:

Welp, how that prediction turn out? https://t.co/YDOElH1M0v

— Eric Stokes Jr (@_jamane_) December 2, 2018

Eric putting this Bama writer in the ether

lol I saw that love the brashness and confidence he has. That bama writer really thought ruggs would get 100 yards and 2 tds when he didn’t have a catch when guarded by stokes ☠️

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stokes has made some plays that suggest he can be an early rd or even a 1st rd pick. As with any newbe you want to see more though. The blocked punt, scoop and score showed a lot and some of his PDs have been very impressive.

• benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

Eric will be a redshirt sophomore next year. He'll technically draft eligible. Hopefully he doesn't play so well that we only get a year of him

edited December 5

@WCDawg said:
    Stokes has made some plays that suggest he can be an early rd or even a 1st rd pick. As with any newbe you want to see more though. The blocked punt, scoop and score showed a lot and some of his PDs have been very impressive.

Agreed you want a larger sample size but man some of timely plays he made this year were amazing. That Missouri game was his coming out party. He’s glued to their and has 3 pbu’s against a really talented Missouri receiving core and made special team plays if Kirby started him this year from day one he would’ve been even better. I’m eager to see how he will do next year because he won’t be playing opposite of baker he’s going into next season as the no.1 corner

@benjaminwgregg said:
    Eric will be a redshirt sophomore next year. He'll technically draft eligible. Hopefully he doesn't play so well that we only get a year of him

You gotta point would be sad to see stokes leave so early but if his builds on how well he played this year with his skillset I would be shocked if he stays past next year

@WCDawg said:

Only thing I see rn that’s a weakness for him is maybe ball skills? But then again he hasn’t had many chances at getting picks. Other then that he has little to no holes in his game

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DGDinNYC said:

@cd1044 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

UGA’s DBs are called The League of Shadows.

@cd1044 said:

@WCDawg said:

Only thing I see rn that’s a weakness for him is maybe ball skills? But then again he hasn’t had many chances at getting picks. Other then that he has little to no holes in his game

He's had some really impressive pass defenses though. He has some skills, receivers and offensive coaches will expose whatever is exploitable in his game going forward.

@Teddy said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@cd1044 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

Forgot about that. Think it will stick with Coach Tucker leaving?

@DGDinNYC said:

@Teddy said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@cd1044 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

Forgot about that. Think it will stick with Coach Tucker leaving?

There's a mine field of potential double entendre in that exchange.