Hearing Chatter about Geoff Collins and Georgia Tech

tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Would be underwhelming (from an objective POV) given that Kansas State looks set to hire Seth Littrell and Louisville (which is a Somalia like dumpster fire now) got Satterfield. Temple has slipped - not drastically but definitely noticeably - from the Matt Rhule days. Seems like their AD is only targeting those with ties to the program, in some form or fashion.

Comments

  • CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

  • tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 6

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Seems like they’re really limiting themselves. Stewart Mandel and San Wolken called Georgia Tech the best job on the market when Louisville, Texas Tech and Colorado were re open.

  • tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Collins doesn’t worry me at all in terms of cutting into our state recruiting dominance

  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @tiger_62082 said:

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Collins doesn’t worry me at all in terms of cutting into our state recruiting dominance

    I agree and he knows he won't be competing with UGA for recruits but there is still a TON of residual talent he can keep in state. Collins made the most sense to me from the beginning.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Dang I was hoping whisenhunt would take the job.

  • CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Acrum21 said:

    @tiger_62082 said:

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Collins doesn’t worry me at all in terms of cutting into our state recruiting dominance

    I agree and he knows he won't be competing with UGA for recruits but there is still a TON of residual talent he can keep in state. Collins made the most sense to me from the beginning.

    I agree here, what I could see happening is the right coach effecting recruiting for Tenn, Scar, UK (and other non conference teams). The 2nd tier talent could stay more in state and hurt those classes.

  • DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @tiger_62082 said:

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Seems like they’re really limiting themselves. Stewart Mandel and San Wolken called Georgia Tech the best job on the market when Louisville, Texas Tech and Colorado were re open.

    I can see how Mandel and Wolken would come to that conclusion -- but it's similar to my little girl deciding that broccoli is better than Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

    @CZCashvilleDawg , did Mandel and Wolken say why they thought Ga. Tech was the best job of those you listed?

  • BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @tiger_62082 said:
    Would be underwhelming (from an objective POV) given that Kansas State looks set to hire Seth Littrell and Louisville (which is a Somalia like dumpster fire now) got Satterfield. Temple has slipped - not drastically but definitely noticeably - from the Matt Rhule days. Seems like their AD is only targeting those with ties to the program, in some form or fashion.

    "Somalia like dumpster fire"

    Nice. Gotta steal this.

  • JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Considering Georgia's current rise--I don't see how Tech will be too much competition from a recruiting standpoint. They are not Stanford academically and even if they are--how many kids can get into Stanford?

  • CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @DirtDawg said:

    @tiger_62082 said:

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Seems like they’re really limiting themselves. Stewart Mandel and San Wolken called Georgia Tech the best job on the market when Louisville, Texas Tech and Colorado were re open.

    I can see how Mandel and Wolken would come to that conclusion -- but it's similar to my little girl deciding that broccoli is better than Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

    @CZCashvilleDawg , did Mandel and Wolken say why they thought Ga. Tech was the best job of those you listed?

    @tiger_62082 ?

  • tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:

    @DirtDawg said:

    @tiger_62082 said:

    @CZCashvilleDawg said:
    He is from the area so it would help with recruiting, but I feel anyone we comes in and moves away from the option offense will get a bump in recruiting.

    Seems like they’re really limiting themselves. Stewart Mandel and San Wolken called Georgia Tech the best job on the market when Louisville, Texas Tech and Colorado were re open.

    I can see how Mandel and Wolken would come to that conclusion -- but it's similar to my little girl deciding that broccoli is better than Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.

    @CZCashvilleDawg , did Mandel and Wolken say why they thought Ga. Tech was the best job of those you listed?

    @tiger_62082 ?

    Location, division, conference, access to talent

  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    No idea whether Collins would succeed if hired, but this report has more validity than the Whisenhunt rumors.

  • cory430cory430 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Going to the spread offense and keeping the 4-3 defense I reckon.

  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 96 ✭✭✭ Junior

    I’ve been half-way following recruiting for 7-8 years, but seriously following for 3-4. When was the last time that we truly had a recruiting battle against Tech?

    Have we ever had a battle against CPJ?

  • ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Beeing a bee keeper...I get it!.......

  • DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @ghostofuga1 said:

    Beeing a bee keeper...I get it!.......

    Yikes Ghost! never suspected you of being an Apiarist!

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @RobbieRob14 said:
    I’ve been half-way following recruiting for 7-8 years, but seriously following for 3-4. When was the last time that we truly had a recruiting battle against Tech?

    Have we ever had a battle against CPJ?

    Calvin Johnson may be the last high profile guy but that pre-dates CPJ. We took Brendan Douglas from them during his tenure. We wanted Morgan Burnett the safety as well who ended up being a player for them and a stud for Green Bay. That's really all that comes to mind.

  • tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PTDawg said:

    @RobbieRob14 said:
    I’ve been half-way following recruiting for 7-8 years, but seriously following for 3-4. When was the last time that we truly had a recruiting battle against Tech?

    Have we ever had a battle against CPJ?

    Calvin Johnson may be the last high profile guy but that pre-dates CPJ. We took Brendan Douglas from them during his tenure. We wanted Morgan Burnett the safety as well who ended up being a player for them and a stud for Green Bay. That's really all that comes to mind.

    The 2007 class had 3-4 Richt wanted. There was also a big OL who graduated a year or two ago - forgot his name - who Richt whiffed on.

  • donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @DawgBones said:

    @ghostofuga1 said:

    Beeing a bee keeper...I get it!.......

    Yikes Ghost! never suspected you of being an Apiarist!

    Should we be concerned about one of those being on the board? We've had way too much political arguments already.

  • UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Collins has been at GT twice before....One time as a GA and then a TE coach under O'Leary from 1999-2001, and then under Gailey in 2006. He was instrumental in landing Gailey's 2006 class....which included Jonathan Dwyer, Morgan Burnette, Josh Nesbitt, and Calvin Johnson.

    I have watched a Temple game or two the last season....I saw his offense put over 400 yards and 34 points on UCF in the first half. They lost, though, because Temple has no defense. Odd, considering that he was a DC at Miss State from 2011-2014, and the DC at Florida in 2015.

    He was born and raised in Georgia (Conyers), so I am sure he knows a thing or two about recruiting this state. If GT gives him time to de-program that Veer and run his offense, which appears to be a HUNH Spread and Zone Read package, they might be decent again.

    It will take a few years, though. And how many GT players will now leave the program?

Sign In or Register to comment.