DC and DB Coach

madddashmadddash Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

I’ve heard thru unreliable sources that Schumann gets promoted to DC and Champ will be hired to coach DB’s. I so want and hope there’s some truth to it!
Go Dawgs!

Comments

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not against that, but would be surprised if Champ coached. And wonder how he would do as a coach, seeing as he has no experience at it that I know of. Recruiting should be easy though... "Hi, I'm Champ Bailey and will be a first ballot hall of famer by this time next year."

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Teddy said:
    I'm not against that, but would be surprised if Champ coached. And wonder how he would do as a coach, seeing as he has no experience at it that I know of. Recruiting should be easy though... "Hi, I'm Champ Bailey and will be a first ballot hall of famer by this time next year."

Kirby is also a constant presence, too. Champ and Kirby would be a deadly combo imo.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@madddash said:
    I’ve heard thru unreliable sources that Schumann gets promoted to DC and Champ will be hired to coach DB’s. I so want and hope there’s some truth to it!
    Go Dawgs!

Probably unreliable for a reason

Agree. I can't see it happening. Not saying Champ wouldn't want to do it, but no experience and he's likely unprepared for the workload involved, especially the recruiting part of things. That's 24/7/365 (almost). Not everyone is cut out for that kind of work load.

• madddashmadddash Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Well the NFL is a daily grind to play as long as he did. Maybe he’s a natural born workaholic and is bored🤷🏽‍♂️

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

They have assistant DB coaches, right? If so, I'd feel more comfortable about Bailey being the assistant.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

This. Plus the “Hi, I’m Champ Bailey” has a short shelf life if he can’t develop players. Not everyone’s as great a teacher as they are a player. You also have the bad spot of having to dismiss a legend if it doesn’t work out.

This. Plus the “Hi, I’m Champ Bailey” has a short shelf life if he can’t develop players. Not everyone’s as great a teacher as they are a player. You also have the bad spot of having to dismiss a legend if it doesn’t work out.

That’s true. It’d **** to have to fire a UGA legend.

@madddash said:
    Well the NFL is a daily grind to play as long as he did. Maybe he’s a natural born workaholic and is bored🤷🏽‍♂️

I don't think the NFL grind is as tough as being on CKS' (and others') staff. They have practice prep, meetings, practice and all night type recruiting duties. I think the NFL guys get recovery from their work days, college coaches (at least at UGA) not so much. There is an off season for the NFL and not really any off season for recruiters. I would be very surprised if CB had any interest in the position.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

@madddash said:
    Go Dawgs!

First off, no, you did not get this from reliable sources, my guess is you made it up.
    I'll eat my keyboard if Champ becomes our DB coach.
    Of course you bums will have to pay me for doing it, but that is only fair.

@donm said:

@madddash said:

I don't think the NFL grind is as tough as being on CKS' (and others') staff. They have practice prep, meetings, practice and all night type recruiting duties. I think the NFL guys get recovery from their work days, college coaches (at least at UGA) not so much. There is an off season for the NFL and not really any off season for recruiters. I would be very surprised if CB had any interest in the position.

Steve Sprurrier found out how demanding being an NFL HC is, he wasn't willing to do the work. NFL coaches sleep in their offices a lot.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

What educational requirements are needed to be a college coach. I thought you needed a master degree or higher.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

@madddash said:
    Go Dawgs!

Probably unreliable for a reason

:D :D :D

@WCDawg said:

@madddash said:
    Go Dawgs!

First off, no, you did not get this from reliable sources, my guess is you made it up.

To be fair, he did say he got it from an UNreliable source but yeah, it does seem made up.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One has only to look at the starting and ending points for the head-of-hair supply of coaches Dooley, Donnan and Richt to appreciate it’s a stressful job. CKS didn’t start the job with a fully covered scalp, so he’d better hurry up and win some NC before he’s bald!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ray Goff grayed more than Barack Obama in his 8 years.

@WCDawg said:

Wish it was reliable😂

• gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

@madddash said:
    Go Dawgs!

While we’re building a coaching wish list, how about we go ahead and add Hines Ward as the WR coach? At least Hines has expressed a desire to one day come back and coach.

However, I can’t imagine the guys who are at their level giving up the freedom they have to grind it out as a college assistant coach.

One can dream though. Imagine how great of a recruiter Hines would be.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope Kirby hire Bacarri Rambo as our defensive back coach. I think it would be a great hire.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MyKeithbb09 said:
    I hope Kirby hire Bacarri Rambo as our defensive back coach. I think it would be a great hire.

I found this from 9 months ago. Is he still on staff?

https://dawgnation.com/football/team-news/bacarri-rambo-is-back-with-the-georgia-football-program

edited December 8

@MyKeithbb09 said:

Rambo is going back to school to get a teaching degree, he doesn't currently have the credentials to be hired as an official coach at a public institution, coaching is technically a teaching position.

If I'm Kirby for a day, I make Schumann a Co-DC and try and lure Corey Raymond from LSU. Double his salary and make him DB coach and Co-DC.

The idea of who is going to be our DC replacement is killing me, well, not really. There's really no suspense because I'm sure whomever takes the job will be just fine, if not better. However, I don't like the idea of going into or last game of the season not knowing who our DC is going to be or when we're even getting one. Which brings me to my question; Is there some kinda timeline for this hire?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    The idea of who is going to be our DC replacement is killing me, well, not really. There's really no suspense because I'm sure whomever takes the job will be just fine, if not better. However, I don't like the idea of going into or last game of the season not knowing who our DC is going to be or when we're even getting one. Which brings me to my question; Is there some kinda timeline for this hire?

They may let Schumann take over as interim DC for the game, then evaluate from there. So, could be a little while before we know. Just speculating of course, but I don’t think they’re worried about a timeline, more worried about getting the right guy to fit with what Kirby does.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Sounds like Derrick Ansley might be the best hire at DB coach, would probably have to make him co- defensive coordinator with Schumann to get him.

I like it.

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    If I'm Kirby for a day, I make Schumann a Co-DC and try and lure Corey Raymond from LSU. Double his salary and make him DB coach and Co-DC.

so how would a co-DC thing work? Would one be more equal than another? Would they just make suggestions to CKS as far as game plans? Who would do the "traditional" DC work on game day?

@donm said:

so how would a co-DC thing work? Would one be more equal than another? Would they just make suggestions to CKS as far as game plans? Who would do the "traditional" DC work on game day?

Chaney and Coley are co-OC's, but you have one guy (Chaney) calling the plays during the game, with Coley making suggestions based on what he's seeing on the field. The non-play caller is helping to draw up the game plan during the week. Clear lines of responsibility have to be defined and communicated for it to work correctly.

@donm said:

Chaney and Coley are co-OC's, but you have one guy (Chaney) calling the plays during the game, with Coley making suggestions based on what he's seeing on the field. The non-play caller is helping to draw up the game plan during the week. Clear lines of responsibility have to be defined and communicated for it to work correctly.

thank you.