Comparing Richt To Smart Part II

a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here goes. I maintain that Richt only won 1 big game while at UGA. It is more than simply never winning a national title or beating a team that went on to win a national title (as Ole Miss and Auburn did to Florida in 2006 and 2008 and Florida did to LSU in 2003, and LSU did to Alabama in 2011).

No, instead I say that Richt in his 18 years of head coaching Richt only beat a single top 5 team, a single team that finished the season with fewer than 3 losses. That team was #5 (#6 in one poll) LSU who Richt beat in the 2005 Sugar Bowl.

Here goes: Smart has already matched this by beating Oklahoma. Who finished 12-2 and #3. And if you read part 1 of this you will know the best part: Smart matched (surpassed even?) Richt's accomplishment with a team that had a good bit less talent especially in the upper classes:

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/10306/comparing-richt-to-smart-part-1

And yes, the fact that Richt had many more chances to knock off a top 5 team - again LSU twice in 2003 alone followed by Auburn in 2004, both Alabama and Florida in 2008 and oh yes West Virginia in 2005 - does matter.

Comments

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

TL DR WGAS?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 6

@Bankwalker said:
    TL DR WGAS?

Cliffs Notes: Smart has already matched Richt's UGA career of wins versus top 5 teams (while Smart has had less talent to start with at UGA). To be honest, this is one of the shortest posts I've seen from @a_rattler

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sun and Moon? Day and Night?

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

One quibble:

Some might say that Richt's 12-2 team that nearly beat 'Bama to play for the national title was better than the 2002-2004 teams. I say that it was merely the product of having a better RB (Gurley) and QB (Murray), which were both the best of the Richt era respectively. The 2002-2004 teams (while still having good RBs and a good QB) had better OLs and a better defense.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:
    One quibble:

Some might say that Richt's 12-2 team that nearly beat 'Bama to play for the national title was better than the 2002-2004 teams. I say that it was merely the product of having a better RB (Gurley) and QB (Murray), which were both the best of the Richt era respectively. The 2002-2004 teams (while still having good RBs and a good QB) had better OLs and a better defense.

Gimme four years of DJ over four years of Murray any day of the week and twice on Sunday

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 700 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agreed. Murray was really good but Shockley was special. Unfortunately we only got 1 year of him starting resulting in Richts 2nd AND LAST SEC Title.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@a_rattler said:
    Here goes. I maintain that Richt only won 1 big game while at UGA. It is more than simply never winning a national title or beating a team that went on to win a national title (as Ole Miss and Auburn did to Florida in 2006 and 2008 and Florida did to LSU in 2003, and LSU did to Alabama in 2011).

No, instead I say that Richt in his 18 years of head coaching Richt only beat a single top 5 team, a single team that finished the season with fewer than 3 losses. That team was #5 (#6 in one poll) LSU who Richt beat in the 2005 Sugar Bowl.

Here goes: Smart has already matched this by beating Oklahoma. Who finished 12-2 and #3. And if you read part 1 of this you will know the best part: Smart matched (surpassed even?) Richt's accomplishment with a team that had a good bit less talent especially in the upper classes:

https://forum.dawgnation.com/discussion/10306/comparing-richt-to-smart-part-1

And yes, the fact that Richt had many more chances to knock off a top 5 team - again LSU twice in 2003 alone followed by Auburn in 2004, both Alabama and Florida in 2008 and oh yes West Virginia in 2005 - does matter.

Keeping it brief. I think you've got it down. Kudos.