Is Kirby Smart ,on a fast track to a National Championship?

cfc136cfc136 Posts: 57 ✭ Freshman
edited December 6 in Football

After the Fourth and dumb 2 pulled by this time Georgia ,can you say after 3 years that Georgia is on a fast track to the National Championship ?Can Kirby Smart put this team back together and win the Sugar bowl?

Comments

  • benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

    I was gonna write a paragraph or two about how good kirby's prospects are but it was cringey

  • 12ed12ed Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 6

    Kirby doesn't strike me as a championship caliber track runner.

    Then again he was pretty fast on the Swift TD against Auburn in SECCG 2017 but I'd have to see more to evaluate him seriously.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Yes

  • DobroMattInOzDobroMattInOz Posts: 172 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Hmmm...maybe not fast. But definitely on the track.

  • brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I will be really shocked if 2019 isn't our year. we have too much talent

  • BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I'm not for sure if this is just a click bait post or he is serious. I grew up in the "give em time" era. Lived through the "what have you done for me lately" era. And now I must live through the "what did you do for this month." Imagine the next step. Every coach is fire the first time he loses a game. A new coaching carousel every week during the season.

    This was J.A.S.P.

  • JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 6

    @BamaDawg said:
    I'm not for sure if this is just a click bait post or he is serious. I grew up in the "give em time" era. Lived through the "what have you done for me lately" era. And now I must live through the "what did you do for this month." Imagine the next step. Every coach is fire the first time he loses a game. A new coaching carousel every week during the season.

    This was J.A.S.P.

    Funny how times change. I remember the “if we can just beat both TN and Fla in the same year era” guess it doesn’t matter now

  • ddsnyderugaddsnyderuga Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

    I think we are at the point where we will be in the hunt every year for a while. We might not play for a championship every year, but we will be consistently close to it.

  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @12ed said:
    Kirby doesn't strike me as a championship caliber track runner.

    Then again he was pretty fast on the Swift TD against Auburn in SECCG 2017 but I'd have to see more to evaluate him seriously.

    I think Kirby is more of a trail runner, the more mud and rocks the better.

  • GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @ddsnyderuga said:
    I think we are at the point where we will be in the hunt every year for a while. We might not play for a championship every year, but we will be consistently close to it.

    Exactly. How can one realistically expect more from any coach?

  • DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

    2017 and 2018 are the only years we've beaten all the other teams in the SECE -- Kirby's 2nd and 3rd years. That's the track he has us on.

    As far as "Can Kirby Smart put this team back together and win the Sugar bowl?" -- gimme a break.

  • SECFan13SECFan13 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

    If all it took was recruiting he would be a shoe in but unfortunately he has to coach as well.

  • mqg96mqg96 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @brentwilson said:
    I will be really shocked if 2019 isn't our year. we have too much talent

    That's how it works usually. 2019 could be our 1979 and then 2020 could be our 1980. I could see it playing out that way.

  • brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

    @mqg96 said:

    @brentwilson said:
    I will be really shocked if 2019 isn't our year. we have too much talent

    That's how it works usually. 2019 could be our 1979 and then 2020 could be our 1980. I could see it playing out that way.

    or maybe 2019, 2020, and 2021 are all our years. I have never seen so much talent on one team.

  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 284 ✭✭✭ Junior

    We should contend the next 3 years, I'd love to say longer but you have to keep recruiting.

  • LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @TNDawg71 said:
    We should contend the next 3 years, I'd love to say longer but you have to keep recruiting.

    If we keep contending, I think we’ll keep recruiting.

  • JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Kirby understands the Number One Rule of Building a Championship Team. Since day one he's been implementing a strategy to comply with the rule.

    I'm not over 4th and Foolish just yet, but Kirby will soon have the depth of stacked talent to overcome a boneheaded decision or two and create luck.

    Nothing trumps a scout team which is better than the other guy's starting team. Don't think that's realistic? Consider that our players said our scout team ran Georgia Tech's offense better than Georgia Tech!

    Raise your hand if you doubt Georgia could have dropped more points on the eleven teams defeated this year. Probably a lot more points. A whole lot more points.

    The Number One Rule is tops on the list for a reason. We'll see if Kirby can "coach 'em up," but when your team's 3 Star recruit wins the Jim Thorpe Award it looks like he's pretty good at coaching 'em up. We'll see how Kirby grows or doesn't grow as an in the heat of the game decision maker, but my money is on the competitive coach's son who was a star safety for his school and mine.

    Go, Dawgs!

Sign In or Register to comment.