Perspective on Kirby Smart

UnsworthUnsworth Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

When CKS was hired, I heard a lot of talk about 2019 and 2020 being the years we really start to compete. In year two, CKS lost a close title game to the GOAT of college football coach. This year, with a younger less experienced team, we took arguably one of the best college football teams ever (if Tua is healthy) to the brink.

Literally, we could be competing for back to back titles if it weren’t for the best college football coach ever standing in the way. CKS hasn’t even been a HC for 3 full years and he’s already competing with the best ever. It sucks to lose these games, but we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

Comments

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

I completely agree. They guy has never been the one to call the shots. We all knew when he came here that he was a hell of a recruiter and player developer, and he has proven that to be true. Once he masters the in-game coaching, the rest of the football world needs to watch out! I see us going on a Bama-esque run over the next decade.

Go Dawgs.

• UnsworthUnsworth Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RobbieRob14 said:
    I completely agree. They guy has never been the one to call the shots. We all knew when he came here that he was a hell of a recruiter and player developer, and he has proven that to be true. Once he masters the in-game coaching, the rest of the football world needs to watch out! I see us going on a Bama-esque run over the next decade.

Go Dawgs.

I saw someone, on this forum, say we should fire CKS after the SEC Championship game. How ****. Like you said, once he masters the in-game coaching, watch out.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    we've had two NY6 bowl appearances, a natty appearance, sec championship, and 2 SEC East Championships in 3 years. We still haven't reached our goal YET, but we've accomplished just as much or more in these past 3 seasons than we ever did in the Richt era

Close but not quite young buck. Richt still has more sec titles than Kirby ;)

• CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Unsworth said:
    When CKS was hired, I heard a lot of talk about 2019 and 2020 being the years we really start to compete. In year two, CKS lost a close title game to the GOAT of college football coach. This year, with a younger less experienced team, we took arguably one of the best college football teams ever (if Tua is healthy) to the brink.

Literally, we could be competing for back to back titles if it weren’t for the best college football coach ever standing in the way. CKS hasn’t even been a HC for 3 full years and he’s already competing with the best ever. It sucks to lose these games, but we’ve got a lot to look forward to.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

@brentwilson said:
    we've had two NY6 bowl appearances, a natty appearance, sec championship, and 2 SEC East Championships in 3 years. We still haven't reached our goal YET, but we've accomplished just as much or more in these past 3 seasons than we ever did in the Richt era

Close but not quite young buck. Richt still has more sec titles than Kirby ;)

Not for much longer.

• DawgsonTopDawgsonTop Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Unsworth said:

@RobbieRob14 said:

Go Dawgs.

I saw someone, on this forum, say we should fire CKS after the SEC Championship game. How ****. Like you said, once he masters the in-game coaching, watch out.

Whoever said fire Kirby must have been trolling. If serious, who would they name a replacement? Paul Johnson? Butch Jones? Mmmm, let’s see...who else is available. For that matter, what coach with a job is doing as well as Kirby on the recruiting trail and the field? Saban. That’s it!...HIRE Saban.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

If CKS enters the 2019 season with the same DL problems as we entered the 2018 season then Im afraid it might be time to reasses our coaching situation. We've got to beef up our DL and failing to do so is on Kirby.

I also predict that we will see heavy use of Justin Fields against Notre Dame, South Carolina, Auburn, and Texas A&M in order to help open up the run game against those teams.

FREE JUSTIN FIELDS!!!
    FIRE CKS!!! (If our midget DL does not improve)

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm not happy (still) about various already discussed coaching decisions (and I'm not the only one), but I'm a huge Kirby Smart fan. We scored big time getting him to come home to Georgia.

I remember when we just wanted our team to show up and get off the bus and at least look competitive and not lose games we were supposed to win such as Vanderbilt.

I used to be furious every time I'd think of rings and dust together.

Now we're not quite there yet, but we're very close to the championship level (as in winning all the marbles). We have a very young team and a very young coach, but we've already become accustomed to competing at the highest level. We almost beat the best team in college football this year and last year and might have beaten them but for a coaching decision or two.

That's a huge amount of progress in three Kirby years.

Go, Dawgs!