We weren’t prepared for Jalen??

EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ Junior
edited December 7 in Football

Please someone explain this to me how were we not prepared for Jalen Hurts? Deandre Baker said it himself ..I mean how did this happend a 2nd year in a row we were not prepared...

Comments

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:
    Because Jalen only plays in garbage time. Why prepare? These are college kids going to class. Can only focus on so much

I agree...Bama fans are saying we are making excuses.... https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306054&page=2

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

It honestly feels a bit cursed to have them beat with Hurts playing last season, only to have Tua step in and beat us, then this season we have Tua beat and Hurts steps in and beats us.
    It just goes to show what a crock of shiit our Idea of karma is. Saban lies, cheats and kicks babies, but he lives a charmed life.

• 12ed12ed Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@EastAtlDawg said:
    Please someone explain this to me how were we not prepared for Jalen Hurts? Deandre Baker said it himself ..I mean how did this happend a 2nd year in a row we were not prepared...

Well, sir.. I'll put it as succinctly as I possibly can.

We dumb lol God hates us lol Kirby Dumb lol Fire Dick Cheney

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@EastAtlDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    Because Jalen only plays in garbage time. Why prepare? These are college kids going to class. Can only focus on so much

I agree...Bama fans are saying we are making excuses.... https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306054&page=2

Wow man, never seen so many people angry about winning a tough game. I could completely see someone in that group going to kill a rival’s historic tree just out of spite.

I didn’t see what Baker said so much as an excuse and just saying what happened. Saying we didn’t prepare for Jalen isn’t like saying the refs really should have called that holding penalty, then we would have won...

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe I read Kirby indicated they had at least talked about the possibility of Jalen coming into the game. Frankly, outside of individual tendencies, I don't see how Jalen is that much different from Tuna--prep wise. Both are dual threats with Tuna being a better passer than Jalen. In this game, Jalen did pass better than he did last season. He was also a change of pace.

I'm wondering if our guys maybe panicked a little at the change of pace and didn't have time to recover their composure. We were busting some coverages at the end--didn't appear to have a firm read on whether Jalen would run or pass.

• lopodawglopodawg Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

Horse race. We want it soo bad we are the horse that burst out of the gate and leads all the way through the back stretch. Bama sits in third and reserves energy and just slips past us just before the finish line.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 440 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Kasey said:

Sorry bro, but I'm not buying it. Going into the SECCG it was well known Tua wasn't 100% healthy, so a certain % of practice should have been devoted to Hurts - at the bare minimum covering schematic differences. On film Tucker & Co. should have done a walk-thru of the differences and potential calls that would be made in that eventuality.

This revelation by Baker comes on the heels of Ledbetter making it known last week that we didn't prepare for Tua leading up to the National Championship game. It seems irresponsible in both cases.

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Preparation the same, both dual threat QB's. Only difference, Tua wasn't 100% and couldn't run like he normally can. Our defense just isn't where it needs to be yet. Jalen just exposed it. Had Tua been healthy, it would have been apparent much earlier in the game. Of course, our defensive line and LB's were gassed, after our offense effectively shut down. That certainly was a big reason why they lost contain on Hurts in the 4th quarter.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don’t think Hurts was the difference maker. Yes he played well but our Dawgs just didn’t make enough plays to win. Add all the little mistakes up and you get a 7 point loss.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

@orlando said:
    I don’t think Hurts was the difference maker. Yes he played well but our Dawgs just didn’t make enough plays to win. Add all the little mistakes up and you get a 7 point loss.

Clearly Hurts made the plays that beat us, so literally he made the difference. Now, would somebody else have stepped up if he hadn't ? it's very possible, Bama seems almost magic in that way.
    Now as far as our part in the loss, we stopped scoring, just like in The 2017/2018 national title game.
    If we'd run our offense as well in the 2nd half as the 1st half, we would have won without drama.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 7

@SaltDawg1515 said:
    Preparation the same, both dual threat QB's. Only difference, Tua wasn't 100% and couldn't run like he normally can. Our defense just isn't where it needs to be yet. Jalen just exposed it. Had Tua been healthy, it would have been apparent much earlier in the game. Of course, our defensive line and LB's were gassed, after our offense effectively shut down. That certainly was a big reason why they lost contain on Hurts in the 4th quarter.

I'd bet there was a certain % of practice devoted to Hurts. Don't know what % though. I guess not enough. I still think our DL ran out of gas at the end due to lack of depth due to injuries. I guess we didn't remember all the prep we put in for Hurts for last year's game.

Why are people downvoting me seems like we got some sensitive people on here.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@EastAtlDawg said:

There are no set standards for using a DV. I get them most of the time when someone simply doesn't like my opinion. At times people mistake my meaning. I think I got one the other day because the moon was aligned with a couple of planets.

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 149 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure that I agree with the premise of this thread. Let's say Nick Saban was coaching Duke and Jim McElwain was coaching Alabama (current rosters I mean). McElwain would win 10 out of 10 right?

Let me put it another way. Nick Saban never won a conference title at Michigan State. He left Michigan State because - something to the effect of - the Big 10 powerbrokers would never let Michigan State surpass Michigan. (Which hilariously is oddly similar to the conspiracy theories that LSU have hatched around Alabama that a lot - including UGA fans - have latched onto.)

Saban was a very good coach at LSU in no small part because he recruited very good players, better than he could get at Michigan State, where again he never even won a conference title, never finished higher than a tie for 2nd place in the conference and never won 10 games (his assistant won the 10th game after his last season after he left for LSU).

And while he was an extremely good coach at LSU, it was nothing like his Alabama run. He won 1 title there. When he left it didn't appear that he was going to win another one anytime soon because he was having real trouble developing QBs especially after Jimb Fisher left.

But he gets to Alabama and recruits even better than he ever could at LSU (in no small part because Alabama is a lot closer to Georgia and Florida where at LSU he had to compete with Mack Brown and Bob Stoops - who were then near their peaks - for what he could get out of Texas. Now recruiting at Texas is a lot easier thanks to A&M joining the SEC).

Saban has better players than UGA does right now. It is just that simple. UGA won't have comparable starting talent to Alabama until next season. And even then, Alabama will have superior depth.

Another thing: Saban hit the JUCO ranks when in his early years at Alabama. UGA generally shies away from that.

• donmdonm Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

There are no set standards for using a DV. I get them most of the time when someone simply doesn't like my opinion. At times people mistake my meaning. I think I got one the other day because the moon was aligned with a couple of planets.

I used to use them to indicate disagreement. Then I realized that I should just post "I disagree" and save the DV button for "bad human behavior" types of things and, of course, for everything 12ed will ever post.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@a_rattler said:
    Not sure that I agree with the premise of this thread. Let's say Nick Saban was coaching Duke and Jim McElwain was coaching Alabama (current rosters I mean). McElwain would win 10 out of 10 right?

Let me put it another way. Nick Saban never won a conference title at Michigan State. He left Michigan State because - something to the effect of - the Big 10 powerbrokers would never let Michigan State surpass Michigan. (Which hilariously is oddly similar to the conspiracy theories that LSU have hatched around Alabama that a lot - including UGA fans - have latched onto.)

Saban was a very good coach at LSU in no small part because he recruited very good players, better than he could get at Michigan State, where again he never even won a conference title, never finished higher than a tie for 2nd place in the conference and never won 10 games (his assistant won the 10th game after his last season after he left for LSU).

And while he was an extremely good coach at LSU, it was nothing like his Alabama run. He won 1 title there. When he left it didn't appear that he was going to win another one anytime soon because he was having real trouble developing QBs especially after Jimb Fisher left.

But he gets to Alabama and recruits even better than he ever could at LSU (in no small part because Alabama is a lot closer to Georgia and Florida where at LSU he had to compete with Mack Brown and Bob Stoops - who were then near their peaks - for what he could get out of Texas. Now recruiting at Texas is a lot easier thanks to A&M joining the SEC).

Saban has better players than UGA does right now. It is just that simple. UGA won't have comparable starting talent to Alabama until next season. And even then, Alabama will have superior depth.

Another thing: Saban hit the JUCO ranks when in his early years at Alabama. UGA generally shies away from that.

I tend to agree. Our game plan seemed better than theirs. Our execution through the first three quarters was superior. I think the depth of talent at Alabama is their secret sauce. There are a handful of teams across the country that have comparable talent as starters. I don't think anybody else compares when you look two and three players deep. Why does that matter? The competition in practice. The best of the best rise to the top. It just makes it that much more difficult for a team to outlast them when they do get a lead early.

Soon, we'll have created comparable depth of talent, though.

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    It just wasn't our day. How do you fumble the ball at the goal line, get tackled into the endzone and with 2-3 monster human beings lying on top of you have the ball bounce perfectly right back into your hands in the endzone? Not to mention the other two fumbles that also bounced bamas way. The football gods weren't ready for the dawn of the dawgs to begin. Next year will be the reckoning.

That own fumble recovery in the end zone was bizarre, live in the game I didn’t think it was clear enough to overturn. I went back and watched that play later. It was clear, but just barely. He had possession less than an entire second.

Of course the CBS commentators were acting like it was clear as day before they even showed the replay. I couldn’t believe how biased the commentators were. They probably do that for the more widely followed team in every nationally televised game though. I bet it’s just a business decision to coddle the wider fan base and say screw you to the other fan base.

@JayDog said:
    I believe I read Kirby indicated they had at least talked about the possibility of Jalen coming into the game. Frankly, outside of individual tendencies, I don't see how Jalen is that much different from Tuna--prep wise. Both are dual threats with Tuna being a better passer than Jalen. In this game, Jalen did pass better than he did last season. He was also a change of pace.

I'm wondering if our guys maybe panicked a little at the change of pace and didn't have time to recover their composure. We were busting some coverages at the end--didn't appear to have a firm read on whether Jalen would run or pass.

I saw a YouTube video I liked that talked about it. It was pretty much just saying tendencies like you were guessing. They showed footage of Jalen’s tendency to roll to the right when a play starts breaking down. And how that screwed UGA a few times for big plays. Like rolling to the right isn’t a big deal. But if you’re defense is expecting it, they are more prone to handle it better.

One of Jalen’s tendencies that had changed since last year was he wasn’t nearly as quick to throw the ball. He stayed upright longer before leaning in and taking off running.

I’ll try to find that YouTube video later. I admire’s Google’s ability to write software. But Google’s flaws is their software is so often so wonky around the edges. They go for a lot of features released quickly. And they release their software before all the edges are smoothed out. And then they never get around to smoothing the edges out. It seems like the reason I can’t find the video is my YouTube history is different on my iPad than it is on my Apple TV. I checked my iPad YouTube history, not there. I’ll check my Apple TV YouTube history later.

These tendencies are a big deal it seems to me. It’s how UGA intercepted Tua twice after a regular season he’d only been intercepted twice all year. Like in the secondary, both times they intercepted him, the DB would act like he was running one way, then as soon as Tua committed they would run the other way and intercept the ball. I’ve seen footage of QB’s faking out DB’s by looking one way then throw it the other way. I’ve never seen footage of DB’s leaning one way to fake out the QB, then run the other way to intercept it.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it was partly a few bad decisions by the coaches - 4th and Foolish comes to mind - and partially that Alabama still has a Jimmys and Joes edge on us.

Kirby understands the Number One Rule of Building a Championship Team. Build depth. Stack layers of supremely talented players. Have a scout team better than your opponent's starters, every week, every game.

Saban's been at it longer, but he's got to be concerned at how rapidly Smart is catching up. Perhaps worse for Alabama are a few other factors.
    1. Georgia is a far better academic institution offering a hugely more valuable education + Athens is a much better college town. There really is no competition there, which means UGA attracts more intelligent athletes.
    2. Our state is a far more fertile field for high school athletes than Alabama.
    3. Kirby is doing a great job both at grabbing the cream of the Georgia crop and a stellar job of recruiting nationally.
    4. In a zero sum game everything Kirby or the UGA administration does to boost Georgia hurts Alabama. We have far more upside potential whereas Alabama has far more downside potential.
    5. Everyone can see that UGA is catching Alabama. Not other teams. Just UGA. Alabama stands out as catchable. UGA stands out as an underdog turning into a good bet.
    6. People like the underdog. People like a good bet. The combination is fun.
    7. Kirby is learning. Saban sees it. Everybody in Alabama and all the Alabama fans see it. They're not desperate yet but they will be, and they don't know how to handle it. It will hurt them. It will hurt them a lot.

Critical mass will be achieved before very long. As I see it, the most important and least predictable of these factors is how rapidly Kirby Smart learns the things he doesn't yet seem to know. I'd bet a nickel he's hearing some of them from the mamas and grandmamas of the players he's recruiting right now.

Go, Dawgs!

@JimWallace said:
    I think it was partly a few bad decisions by the coaches - 4th and Foolish comes to mind - and partially that Alabama still has a Jimmys and Joes edge on us.

Kirby understands the Number One Rule of Building a Championship Team. Build depth. Stack layers of supremely talented players. Have a scout team better than your opponent's starters, every week, every game.

Saban's been at it longer, but he's got to be concerned at how rapidly Smart is catching up. Perhaps worse for Alabama are a few other factors.
    1. Georgia is a far better academic institution offering a hugely more valuable education + Athens is a much better college town. There really is no competition there, which means UGA attracts more intelligent athletes.
    3. Kirby is doing a great job both at grabbing the cream of the Georgia crop and a stellar job of recruiting nationally.
    4. In a zero sum game everything Kirby or the UGA administration does to boost Georgia hurts Alabama. We have far more upside potential whereas Alabama has far more downside potential.
    5. Everyone can see that UGA is catching Alabama. Not other teams. Just UGA. Alabama stands out as catchable. UGA stands out as an underdog turning into a good bet.
    7. Kirby is learning. Saban sees it. Everybody in Alabama and all the Alabama fans see it. They're not desperate yet but they will be, and they don't know how to handle it. It will hurt them. It will hurt them a lot.

Critical mass will be achieved before very long. As I see it, the most important and least predictable of these factors is how rapidly Kirby Smart learns the things he doesn't yet seem to know. I'd bet a nickel he's hearing some of them from the mamas and grandmamas of the players he's recruiting right now.

Go, Dawgs!

Great point

• WtkWtk Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

@JimWallace said:

Go, Dawgs!