2020 Recruit - Most Wanted / Most Needed

CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As we are a month out from wrapping a bow on the 2019 class (#2 in the country ain’t to shabby), it’s time for us who follow recruiting year round to move forward and look towards the future (The roaring 20s of UGA football).

On both sides of the ball (sorry no kicker/punter talk here), who are you most wanted recruits for 2020 and most needed recruits on both sides of the ball for 2020 ?

Most Wanted:
Offense - Z Evans

Defense - B Bresee

Most Needed:
Offense - R Ashford

Defense - M Murphy

Let’s here it ....

Comments

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like what you got

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 3

Offense- K. Milton > Z. Evans imo (want both)

Defense-Bresee hands down. M. Murphy=1b. 2. Fred Davis

Most needed overall=tie w/ R. Ashford & A. Gilbert

Edit: most needed B. Jones (must keep in fold)

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most needed-Offensive coordinator
    Most wanted-Offensive coordinator

My opinion, we don’t get Ashford with the style of offense we’re running. We have to be more innovative. Just my 1 cent opinion.

@bigdawg2223 said:

My opinion, we don’t get Ashford with the style of offense we’re running. We have to be more innovative. Just my 1 cent opinion.

So a modified pro style offense with some spread principles isn’t attractive to a QB that wants to play in NFL? That’s a hot take there my man.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm still sticking with Rogers as most wanted and needed really because Kirby and Pitt boss don't know if he should be o-line or d-line so he kinda kills two birds with one stone. I think we'll be deep enough on the d-line recruiting he won't have to play there but that's kind of contingent on Breese imo. Side note- Uiagalelei put us in his top 7. @SoFL_Dawg I know it probably looks like a long shot but do you have a temperature on that ?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bigdawg2223 said:

@Acrum21 said:
    I'm still sticking with Rogers as most wanted and needed really because Kirby and Pitt boss don't know if he should be o-line or d-line so he kinda kills two birds with one stone. I think we'll be deep enough on the d-line recruiting he won't have to play there but that's kind of contingent on Breese imo. Side note- Uiagalelei put us in his top 7. @SoFL_Dawg I know it probably looks like a long shot but do you have a temperature on that ?

32 degrees F.

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most Needed
    Offense: Broderick
    Defense: Myles

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i feel QB and TE will be the biggest offensive needs. DL will probably be the biggest defensive need.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell said:
    (Includes commits)

Most Wanted Overall: DE Myles Murphy

(There is scant separation between Murphy and these next four names)

Most Wanted O: OT Broderick Jones (plays a premium position)
    Most Wanted D: DE Bryan Bresee

Alpha Target A: RB Kendall Milton
    Alpha Target B: TE/ATH Arik Gilbert
    Alpha Target C: OL/DL Justin Rogers
    Alpha Target D: WR Jermaine Burton

Big Deal priorities: OLB Mekhail Sherman, Dual-threat QB Robby Ashford, CB Lejond Cavazos, CB Fred Davis, DE Jacolbe Cowan, OLB B.J. Ojulari, DE Zykeivous Walker,

In all honesty, the food chain could jumble up any of those first five names there. The elevation there for Jones is just that true LTs with his tools are just so hard to find.

Great stuff @JeffSentell

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cavazos and Burton I believe

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love the caption on photo, “going to UGA, done with it”

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

32 degrees F.

So we have a chance?

@donm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

32 degrees F.

So we have a chance?

Fire up the hot coco! We gotta warm this kid up

@donm said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

32 degrees F.

So we have a chance?

This staff always has a chance. You should not expect much movement here barring unforeseen changes. I said it in jest, but we’re not really in it outside of brand recognition.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not up on recruiting like @CZCashvilleDawg, @SoFL_Dawg, and others but my picks would be a LT (Jones) and QB (Ashford) on offense and somebody who can rush the passer on defense (Breese or Murphy). Our pass rush against Texas was terrible with Walker out.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most Wanted:
    Offense - Z Evans

Defense - B Bresee

Most Needed:
    Offense - D J Uiagalelei

Defense - M Murphy

@Denmen185 said:
    Most Wanted:
    Offense - Z Evans

Defense - B Bresee

Most Needed:
    Offense - D J Uiagalelei

Defense - M Murphy

Why would you (the general you, not the specific you) not most want the player who is most needed? I'm a little lost out here.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 3

Most Wanted
    Offense - Milton (man this guy is good)
    Defense - Murphy (Breese as well)

Most Needed
    Offense - Gilbert (because of depth losses)
    Defense - Murphy (Breese as well)

Must keep all 4 current commits. I wanted to say some WRs since DRob, Ridley, and crew will all be gone probably. Need some high impact guys, Safety I want as well but Joesph and Cavazos both moved to CB, and I would love some hand in the dirt edge rushers.

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@coastaldawg said:
    I’m not up on recruiting like @CZCashvilleDawg, @SoFL_Dawg, and others but my picks would be a LT (Jones) and QB (Ashford) on offense and somebody who can rush the passer on defense (Breese or Murphy). Our pass rush against Texas was terrible with Walker out.

Great point. As the confidence throughout our backend increases, I think we’ll get more aggressive on the pass rush. We definitely have some studs coming in that will be just as good and hopefully will match the production of Walker. Interior pass rush should improve with/through Wyatt, who was arguably our best defender on Tuesday.

Cox, Anderson and Ojulari particularly will make huge improvements 2019. I thought Ojulari showed flashes of "unstoppable" given his HS injury.

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:
    Most Wanted:
    Offense - Z Evans

Defense - B Bresee

Most Needed:
    Offense - D J Uiagalelei

Defense - M Murphy

Why would you (the general you, not the specific you) not most want the player who is most needed? I'm a little lost out here.

I struggled a bit with that also but felt that most needed was based on skill set/position and most wanted based on pure talent of the individual.

@Denmen185 said:

@donm said:

@Denmen185 said:
    Most Wanted:
    Offense - Z Evans

Defense - B Bresee

Most Needed:
    Offense - D J Uiagalelei

Defense - M Murphy

I struggled a bit with that also but felt that most needed was based on skill set/position and most wanted based on pure talent of the individual.

OK. I see a little fog lifting in front of me. Thanks.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's awesome that we can recruit nationally now, and it would be very satisfying to win head-to-head battles with Ohio State for guys like Bresee and Rogers, but TBH, I'd love to see us lock down our own borders first.

We have a good shot with Gilbert, Murphy, B. Jones, Tank, and others. But what about Hinton? Do we write him off because of his dad/brother/UM connection? Or do we put Coach Pittman on it and pursue him relentlessly until ESD? I respected my dad and looked up to my older brother, but when the time came, I wanted to be my own man and chart my own course. Maybe Myles Hinton is more in play than the experts know.

Similarly, I know Bailey and Johnson have already committed elsewhere, but are we just going to let two of the top QB prospects in the country leave the state to sign with a couple of conference rivals?

I give all the credit in the world to CKS and the job he does recruiting, so don't misread what I'm saying. I'm not questioning the staff's approach or effort or success. Three top three classes in a row, the results speak for themselves. Just offering a slightly different take on what I consider to be our biggest wants/needs.

edited January 3

If we had to break the roster down into 10 groups: What would y'all rank 1-10 in order of need? For example

1-Defensive Line
    2-Running Backs
    3- Offensive Tackles
    4-Quarterback
    5- Tight Ends

6- Wide Receivers
    7- Defensive Back (assuming we land Stevenson, possibly Elam)
    8-Inside Linebackers
    9- Outside Linebackers
    10- Interior O-line

Edit: I know we will put a huge emphasis on each position group but lets just look at it from an NFL GM perspective if we were drafting guys and assuming they stay on roster 3-4 years.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    If we had to break the roster down into 10 groups: What would y'all rank 1-10 in order of need? For example

1-Defensive Line
    2-Running Backs
    3- Offensive Tackles
    4-Quarterback
    5- Tight Ends

6- Wide Receivers
    7- Defensive Back (assuming we land Stevenson, possibly Elam)
    8-Inside Linebackers
    9- Outside Linebackers
    10- Interior O-line

Edit: I know we will put a huge emphasis on each position group but lets just look at it from an NFL GM perspective if we were drafting guys and assuming they stay on roster 3-4 years.

My 2 cents, not that it's worth much;

1. Quarterback - losing Fields puts this at a premium. I think Mathis is a good project, but we don't know how that project is going to turn out. Along with QB being the most important position in general
    2. Offensive Tackles - could very likely lose Thomas and Wilson after next year. No one fully proven behind them. I have faith in Mays, and Cleveland could be here two more years as he redshirted his first year (so could be a RT candidate) and we'll see about others like Condon, Truss, and McClendon.
    3. D-line - like the guys we got this year, but it's proven games are won in the trenches
    4. Running back - I like McIntosh, but need to continue to load up, as Swift, Holyfield and Herrien are all likely gone after next season
    5. Tight End - not enough bodies left on scholarship if Ford transfers (could push this up the list if you wanted)
    6. Inside Linebackers - until the 19' guys prove they can play at this level, and lack of a dominate ILB at this point, need to continue to bring in competition to push this position group
    7. Wide Receivers - Would like that elite 6'3"-6'5" type receiver that can go up and get, would be a nice pairing with Blaylock for years to come
    8. . DBs - I'm encouraged by the youth on the roster (and hopeful commitment of one or two more guys), but we'll always need to land 3-5 elite DBs each class
    9. Interior o-line - stacked at this position, but will need to keep pulling them in, as these guys may be good enough to leave early, shortening their UGA "lifespan"
    10. Outside linebackers - lots of promising talent here, but can always use a couple OLBs a class