We now have signed 15 top 50 players over 2018 and 2019, Bama has signed 7...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That makes it 15 of 100 total. We signed an amazing 9 of last year's top 50 players and 6 this season, both are top in their classes by that measure. Bama had 3 in 2018 and 4 so far in 2019, It looks like Bama will sign at least 1 more in this class as well. Lets say it ends up 15 to 8 over 2 classes, not too shabby.
Of course we lost Fields, but I'm sure Bama will have a bust or 2 as well.
Today Nolan Smith had 2 sacks that I know of and Blaylock had 2 tds in The Army AA Game.
As far as roster building, nobody is doing it better right now.

We're at most 2 years away from being able to reload without set backs.

Comments

• DuckDawg25DuckDawg25 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    That makes it 15 of 100 total. We signed an amazing 9 of last year's top 50 players and 6 this season, both are top in their classes by that measure. Bama had 3 in 2018 and 4 so far in 2019, It looks like Bama will sign at least 1 more in this class as well. Lets say it ends up 15 to 8 over 2 classes, not too shabby.
    Today Nolan Smith had 2 sacks that I know of and Blaylock had 2 tds in The Army AA Game.

I hope you subtracted one in Fields.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DuckDawg25 said:

@WCDawg said:

He did specifically say in his post that we lost Fields but that it was reasonable to expect some attrition at Bama as well.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lost Fields and Ford but thats still a higher number and I honestly expect UGA to sign 9-10 next cycle B)

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SavannahDawg1 said:
    If we cant win it with next years squad.. Coaching will have to be evaluated. Realistically we will be favored to win every regular season game and 3 to 4 pt under dog against Bama ( third time will be the charm)

My biggest focus will be our interior defensive play. Tray Scott has to step it up

I think our Defense and O line will be our biggest strength next year.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DuckDawg25 said:

@WCDawg said:

4th line down.

@SavannahDawg1 said:
    If we cant win it with next years squad.. Coaching will have to be evaluated. Realistically we will be favored to win every regular season game and 3 to 4 pt under dog against Bama ( third time will be the charm)

My biggest focus will be our interior defensive play. Tray Scott has to step it up

I still see 2020 as the most likely 1st championship of the Kirby Dawgs era. Looking at how close we've come the past 2 years though, it could happen.

edited January 7

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Lost Fields and Ford but thats still a higher number and I honestly expect UGA to sign 9-10 next cycle B)

Right now I see 5 top 50 players favoring us for in the 2020 class, but the staff will keep working it.
    Of course Bama has attrition too, we just don't follow their comings and goings as close.

• IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Right now I see 5 top 50 players favoring us for in the 2020 class, but the staff will keep working it.

Crystal balls don’t mean much at this point, we don’t have a single cb pick for breese but I guarantee we’re in his top 2 or 3

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SavannahDawg1 said:

I think d-line played fairly well this year, especially as the season went on, and they identified Davis as the anchor in the middle. And Wyatt and Herring keep showing flashes. Tyler Clark is the only player I was disappointed in with his play. Not because he played terribly, just that he came on strong to finish the 2017 season, but didn't do much this season (numbers went down). Linebackers are the area that needs to improve the most on defense, especially ILB, IMO.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

I think d-line played fairly well this year, especially as the season went on, and they identified Davis as the anchor in the middle. And Wyatt and Herring keep showing flashes. Tyler Clark is the only player I was disappointed in with his play. Not because he played terribly, just that he came on strong to finish the 2017 season, but didn't do much this season (numbers went down). Linebackers are the area that needs to improve the most on defense, especially ILB, IMO.

When Davis wasn't on the field we could get pushed around by the better O-Lines. We can't be that dependent on one guy to hold the line.

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

When Davis wasn't on the field we could get pushed around by the better O-Lines. We can't be that dependent on one guy to hold the line.

I wasn’t trying to say the d-line was flawless. We lack the 310+ pounders. Why Netori switched and brought another one or two in for this class. Was mainly replying because he said Tray Scott needs to step up, when Scott has actually done well, IMO. Was pointing out that linebackers, while many are still young, need to step up the most on the defense.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

After your breakdown of the defensive and offensive identities the other day I've gone back to watch with a critical eye and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the LB core. Not much penetration by D-line (Clarks' stat line specifically) to try and mitigate any shortcomings from the LBer's. Crowder has the length and speed to be great but he seemed to struggle with gap integrity and over pursuit. We also saw a lot more from Taylor down the stretch instead of Natrez. Taylor is listed at 28lb lighter than Natrez so it was evident the coaches wanted more speed on the field as the D-line ate up blocks. It's something I'll definitely be watching this spring.

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Of course Bama has attrition too, we just don't follow their comings and goings as close.

Out of Breese, Evans, Milton, Uiagalelei, Gilbert, Milton, Murphy, Rogers, Jones, Davis, Bowman, Manuel, Bigsby, and Rateledge are all top 50. Two of the four RBs, Breese, Gilbert, Murphy, Rogers, Jones, Rateledge, and Manuel are the guys I currently see.

@Acrum21 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

After your breakdown of the defensive and offensive identities the other day I've gone back to watch with a critical eye and I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the LB core. Not much penetration by D-line (Clarks' stat line specifically) to try and mitigate any shortcomings from the LBer's. Crowder has the length and speed to be great but he seemed to struggle with gap integrity and over pursuit. We also saw a lot more from Taylor down the stretch instead of Natrez. Taylor is listed at 28lb lighter than Natrez so it was evident the coaches wanted more speed on the field as the D-line ate up blocks. It's something I'll definitely be watching this spring.

Watching Bama the thing that jumps out most games is the absolute dominance of their interior DL. We fell well short of that measure this season. I don't think you can have a truly dominant 3-4 without owning the interior of The LOS.> @Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

Out of Breese, Evans, Milton, Uiagalelei, Gilbert, Milton, Murphy, Rogers, Jones, Davis, Bowman, Manuel, Bigsby, and Rateledge are all top 50. Two of the four RBs, Breese, Gilbert, Murphy, Rogers, Jones, Rateledge, and Manuel are the guys I currently see.

That is very ambitious.

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

Watching Bama the thing that jumps out most games is the absolute dominance of their interior DL. We fell well short of that measure this season. I don't think you can have a truly dominant 3-4 without owning the interior of The LOS.> @Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

That is very ambitious.

It could be but Breese is showing up a lot, Bigsby and Bowman probably favor UGA but Evans and Milton grab more attention, Rogers just got his QB, Gilbert and Ratledge are GA boys and have Coley and Pittman pursuing, Jones is already committed, Manuel will be the tough pull because UF is on the up swing. Im sure if the DC is a DB guy (or Ansley) guys like Ringo and Davis may even take a look.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

I wasn’t trying to say the d-line was flawless. We lack the 310+ pounders. Why Netori switched and brought another one or two in for this class. Was mainly replying because he said Tray Scott needs to step up, when Scott has actually done well, IMO. Was pointing out that linebackers, while many are still young, need to step up the most on the defense.

oh, oh, Teddy. You might be waking up nyc. You know how much he loves those big boys on the DL.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 40 ✭ Freshman

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

That is very ambitious.

It could be but Breese is showing up a lot, Bigsby and Bowman probably favor UGA but Evans and Milton grab more attention, Rogers just got his QB, Gilbert and Ratledge are GA boys and have Coley and Pittman pursuing, Jones is already committed, Manuel will be the tough pull because UF is on the up swing. Im sure if the DC is a DB guy (or Ansley) guys like Ringo and Davis may even take a look.

Bowman will be very hard for UGA to pull. Manuel as well.

@bhs11 said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@Teddy said:

@SavannahDawg1 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Thelordjohnson said:

That is very ambitious.

Bowman will be very hard for UGA to pull. Manuel as well.

Manuel I see is interested more in Florida as of late (they've been balling) but Bowman always speaks highly and I trust his head recruiter

• thebamaWay2thebamaWay2 Posts: 48 ✭ Freshman

Your cherry picking stats. Won’t you try top 100 players while bama has 13 in this class alone y’all have 8. You may have more top 50 but bama stays consistent after that. Hence why we have a higher class average despite having less 5 stars and less top 50 players.

• thebamaWay2thebamaWay2 Posts: 48 ✭ Freshman

@thebamaWay2 said:
    Your cherry picking stats. Won’t you try top 100 players while bama has 13 in this class alone y’all have 8. You may have more top 50 but bama stays consistent after that. Hence why we have a higher class average despite having less 5 stars and less top 50 players.

It’s funny to see y’all dig up bs like this to act like y’all are recruiting the best. Check the ranks and check the class average. While your at it check the 2020 commits

@thebamaWay2 said:

And UGA had 11 last year, to Bama’s 4. That’s top 100, since you want to go off of that. Talk about cherry picking.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Technically Blaylock had three (3) touchdowns 😂