The fans should never be a reason why a recruit chooses to sign somewhere other than UGA.

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Do YOU think recruits read this message board? I ask about this specifically because a lot changed during the recruitment of Jadon Haselwood.

What recruits read and heard was always a hotly debated topic back when Donnan was coach and halfway through Richt's tenure because there was really only one message board for Dawg fans, and you had to fit the demographic of both working on a computer and being a hardcore fan to even know about the thing. There were still thousands of people on the original Dawgvent, but most of the recruits in those days didn't have high speed internet at home. The first iphone wasn't released until 2007, so smart phones weren't something every teen was carrying around every day either.

Back to Jadon Haselwood. He was regularly interviewed by the staff of Dawgnation, so you have to think he also read this forum when he would read the articles written about him. This locally grown kid went from celebrating in the streets when UGA won the Rose Bowl to him texting with Cam Newton that he "has to get out this (expletive)". That kind of comment doesn't originate from wanting to play in a more pass heavy offense.

Think about that. What could have possibly made him develop those feelings? The kid is the big man on campus at his high school, celebrated all over the State, and primed for a career at his State University that could have made him a sports legend. He then decided to open up his recruiting for perfectly legitimate reasons, and then gets bashed ruthlessly and posted about that we would be better off without him. We would do well to remember that every teenager is living an emotional rollercoaster every day. Some of the things posted here were no doubt very hurtful to JH, and explains to me why he developed feelings of needing to get far, far away.

There will be another Jadon Haselwood. Lots of them, in fact. There will be other kids who commit and decommit. Some will recommit to the G. Some won't. Let's not be part of the reason why someone chooses another school over The University of Georgia.

Comments

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sure some recruits do read this forum, although, JH doesn't strike me as one of them. Now, alot of his nasty Twitter replies from pissed off UGA fans could very well swayed his reasonings to get out of this (expletive). Social Media is one thing but It's hard for me to believe that a 17-18 y.o. 5* HS football player would want to join a forum or even has time to. I'm sure he had spies on here though.

However, I understand what you're getting at and you're right, us fans shouldn't get mad at a kid trying to make his own life's decisions and we sure shouldn't bash the kid for not choosing Georgia.

So long JH. Hope you do great at OU (unless we meet in CFP) and we'll welcome you back if you wanna come home.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@brentwilson said:
    highly doubt Jadon even knows this forum exists

That was the feeling of most in 1998 on the original Dawgvent, and all the way thru the Rivals takeover. They were probably right back then. Do you think JH read the articles Sentel wrote about him? If he read the articles but doesn't know about the forum then he's a slow learner and should have gone to Auburn.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 377 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally I believe his dad had a lot to do with his final decision, as he probably should. I also believe his dad would be more likely to read this board (or any other fans forum) and pas along the “vibes” he gets/feels onto JH.

I’m also pretty sure CKS and his staff know how to handle the negative social media responses from UGA fans. It’s not his first rodeo and if you haven’t noticed, he’s pretty d a m n good at recruiting.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if JH got out to Okalahoma, matured a bit, and decided to come back to Athens. Somewhat like DRob.

Most recruits probably aren’t interested in what a bunch of “has beens” think about their recruitment and decision.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Haselwood made it clear why he looked elsewhere, some fans just think too much.
    It was about the downfield passing, he thinks Oklahoma's offense fits his abilities best.
    Looking at the stats of their deep receivers, he might be correct.

edited January 6

@WCDawg said:
    .......... some fans just think too much.

Everyone knows 100% that's not ever going to be an issue with you

• GBALGBAL Posts: 136 ✭✭ Sophomore

I honestly feel that our Dawgnation writters do so much to create division, desention, and controversary at UGA with their headlines and choices of negative reporting. Their reporting fuels fans as well as leads the national media big boys to further investigate those topics.... inserting more fuel. CKS should borrow from CNS in this regarrd gain control of this irresponsible and or damaging reporting.

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

I think, I just use common sense.
    The Sooners have a pair of 1000+ yard receivers this season, we have 1 in our entire history.
    Haselwood said over and over again he was evaluating teams' downfield passing.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure they read this board, I do believe many read paid sites. Or someone in their circle reads the sites. How much stock they put into i don’t know.

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

The Sooners have a pair of 1000+ yard receivers this season, we have 1 in our entire history.

I completely agree about the reasoning regarding OUs offense. I honestly don't know why any highly rated receiver would sign with us given the way we run the ball. Dooley could never recruit WRs, and I'm not sure he even tried. I think he recruited TEs and then starved the ones who couldn't block.

Was Lindsay Scott the first wide receiver Georgia ever had drafted in the first round?

I'm just saying - let's remove the unnecessary variables.

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

I completely agree about the reasoning regarding OUs offense. I honestly don't know why any highly rated receiver would sign with us given the way we run the ball. Dooley could never recruit WRs, and I'm not sure he even tried. I think he recruited TEs and then starved the ones who couldn't block.

Was Lindsay Scott the first wide receiver Georgia ever had drafted in the first round?

I'm just saying - let's remove the unnecessary variables.

This is part of the reason I want a more integrated modern offense. Fromm is very effective, but why leave so many potential points on the board ? We see it bite us on the arse in games against LSU and Texas where our options become limited.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 136 ✭✭ Sophomore

Not convinced they read a lot of these boards but very convinced that they read and listen to the media pieces and are influenced by them.

• RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m pretty sure we are no different than any other fan base and our chat line is no different than others.

• a_rattlera_rattler Posts: 337 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

This is part of the reason I want a more integrated modern offense. Fromm is very effective, but why leave so many potential points on the board ? We see it bite us on the arse in games against LSU and Texas where our options become limited.

Oh not this again. You don't need "a more integrated modern offense" for players to put up big stats. Look at that 2005 USC team.
    Matt Leinart: 3800 yards
    Reggie Bush: 1740 yards
    Lendale White: 1300 yards
    Dwayne Jarrett: 1274 yards
    Steve Smith: 957 yards

The thing is: all those 5 guys above were juniors or seniors. And they had the best offensive line in the country. (Or the second best to Texas.) So it is not the offensive scheme. It is because UGA doesn't have:

A) an offensive line that gives a QB enough time to get the ball downfield on a consistent basis
    B) a QB who can consistently make passing plays all over the field while lacking A)

I know a lot of you get tired of be bringing up Deshaun Watson, but the guy had 4160 passing at 68% and 550 rushing yards this year while getting sacked 62 times. That is reminiscent of the nearly 1000 yards (rushing and passing) that he put up in 2 games against Bama while getting clobbered by their front 7, doing things that "Heisman Trophy winner" Kyler Murray failed (until the second half when the game was all but over). I like Fromm but similar to Peyton Manning (who not only collapsed against college teams like Florida and Nebraska who pressured him but set an NFL record for INTs because of a bad OL one year ... his brother Eli is actually better when pressured) Fromm clearly isn't good at consistently making plays when forced on the move. He is fine on designed rollouts but not when it is forced on him by the defense.

Here is what a lot of people do not realize: the main advantage of a run-heavy pro-style offense is that it protects the QB. Which is why I get so frustrated at NFL types who demand the league to more to protect the QB on one hand and promote these 4 and 5 WR offenses where they throw 55 times a game on the other. So if you think that adopting an offense where the formation spreads the ball out more and the QB throws the ball downfield more would result in UGA winning more games and not less with Fromm and this OL, you're not looking at the whole picture. Teams that right now are scheming and gameplanning to stop the run would blitz Fromm on every down and be in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. Fromm and the WRs would have more yards ... but also more INTs and fumbles. So UGA still loses to Alabama, Texas and LSU ... if they even get that far because they also lose to Kentucky, Florida and even the South Carolina/Missouri/Auburn type games aren't gimmes. If Alabama made a redshirt junior QB who runs a 4.3 40 and was protected by an OL who won the Joe Moore award look that bad well into the third quarter, what do you think SEC defenses would do to a UGA team that lacks anywhere near that level of experienced talent for a spread system?

In 2012 under the Jim Chaney offense, Tyler Bray - a 3 star recruit that Lane Kiffin signed after running off 5 star and future college all american Tajh Boyd - had 3600 yards passing, Justin Hunter had 1083 yards receiving and Cordarrelle Patterson had nearly 800 yards. That could have happened at UGA as early as next season, and it still might.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawg1982 said:
    I'm sure some recruits do read this forum, although, JH doesn't strike me as one of them. Now, alot of his nasty Twitter replies from pissed off UGA fans could very well swayed his reasonings to get out of this (expletive). Social Media is one thing but It's hard for me to believe that a 17-18 y.o. 5* HS football player would want to join a forum or even has time to. I'm sure he had spies on here though.

However, I understand what you're getting at and you're right, us fans shouldn't get mad at a kid trying to make his own life's decisions and we sure shouldn't bash the kid for not choosing Georgia.

So long JH. Hope you do great at OU (unless we meet in CFP) and we'll welcome you back if you wanna come home.

He lost interest in UGA because the ball was not in the air enough for his tastes. He saw us as a bad fit and found what he thinks is a better one. Occam's razor - stick with the simplest explanation.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dwan Mathis contrasted ambivalence at a Detroit eatery versus enthusiasm in Athens. JH rightly seemed perplexed by angry tweets for taking visits while committed to UGA. Fans actions can matter. Certainly other things impacted JH's decision more but bad behavior matters.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I dont know the original poster didn't get 100s up thumbs up for that post. 😕😕😕

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

LMAOOO

edited January 7

@RDDawg said:
    I’m pretty sure we are no different than any other fan base and our chat line is no different than others.

You dont see many boards single out a recruit, who is still in play, as being a potential cancer who should go elsewhere. I would like to see another such example from a rival’s fanbase.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am merely a fan. I highly doubt that the fan base is a determining factor for where any recruit chooses to sign. Jadon Haselwood turned his “trolling” Georgia into a carbon copy of Owen Pappoe, but on steroids! Good luck to him in Oklahoma

@christopherules said:
    I am merely a fan. I highly doubt that the fan base is a determining factor for where any recruit chooses to sign. Jadon Haselwood turned his “trolling” Georgia into a carbon copy of Owen Pappoe, but on steroids! Good luck to him in Oklahoma

“Determining factor” has not been suggested.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

I doubt recruits or players spend much time on this or similar sites, but if they did they would see a lot of passion and diversity of opinions. I would hope they wouldn’t make a decision based on this site! JH simply wants the ball more than his teammates. That’s cool. I actually can almost appreciate that. In the end it is still a team game and I will take our chances with team players.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 7

@Bankwalker my post was only following the thoughts along the lines of the original post.

• Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

@christopherules said:

Sorry if this should be different thread (or shouldn’t be posed at all) but this seems to lead to the question of if our fan base has a higher quotient of negativity/pessimism, etc., and I’m putting that gently. Though a fan since 1986, this is first forum I’ve frequented (simply because it’s free). I’ve been kind of blown away by it. Obviously, there were pro anti Richt camps for years, but the vitriol from the Sugar Bowl loss has me befuddled. Is it everyone’s sense that all fan bases are like this?

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Billybob101 said:

@christopherules said:

Sorry if this should be different thread (or shouldn’t be posed at all) but this seems to lead to the question of if our fan base has a higher quotient of negativity/pessimism, etc., and I’m putting that gently. Though a fan since 1986, this is first forum I’ve frequented (simply because it’s free). I’ve been kind of blown away by it. Obviously, there were pro anti Richt camps for years, but the vitriol from the Sugar Bowl loss has me befuddled. Is it everyone’s sense that all fan bases are like this?

Yes. They are. Anyone who thinks their fan base is better or worse than others is kidding themselves. We all have stories we’ve heard anecdotally about the horrible fans at such and such stadium but talk to any other school’s fans and you’re liable to hear the same stories about them at Sanford.

And message boards will always have the issue of bringing out the worst in some. I probably know more non UGA fans than Dawg ones and while certain fan bases have interesting little things that make them special based on history and location, they all have the same proportion of sunshine pumpers and tear it all down types.

Does it do any good to “trash” JH? Probably not but it doesn’t mean a **** thing in the scheme of things. These guys are all on Twitter so they don’t have to seek out a forum to find negative comments. Read the comments on any of their posts and you’ll see far worse stuff directly @them from the scum online, mostly from opposing “fans”.

@LincolnParkDawg said:
    I doubt recruits or players spend much time on this or similar sites, but if they did they would see a lot of passion and diversity of opinions. I would hope they > @Billybob101 said:

@christopherules said:

Read volnation or the Gator boards. They are pretty brutal toward the leadership, coaching, team, and have no problem calling out the fact their QBs are terrible. What Ive yet to see on there is their fans trashing a recruit who was still undecided. Beyond the pale and whether it hurts or not is beside the point. It would only take 5 minutes of browsing to reinforce the garbage thrown at them on twitter.

• BBDAWGBBDAWG Posts: 47 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm sure players are aware of what fans are saying, but to be honest, I highly doubt they care. We're fanatics, which means we're a bunch of nutbags that love our DAWGS....

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I bigly doubt JH ever transfers to UGA.

@BBDAWG said:
    I'm sure players are aware of what fans are saying, but to be honest, I highly doubt they care. We're fanatics, which means we're a bunch of nutbags that love our DAWGS....

Thats why nutjobs feel they can post whatever they want. It does conflict with their need to make announcement videos, hold media signing days, announce on national tv, while dropping crumbs along the way on social media. The ones who do all of that are attention hounds and ENJOY the idolatry. I dont buy the notuon that they want the positive attention but for some reason don’t care about the negative in their quest to be the center of attention? My point with the OP was - why be any type of negative in the process?