Aspirations for Plumlee

James13James13 Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm certainly no expert on how a particular player fits into a football team's game plan, but I hate the thought of Plumlee sitting on the sidelines as a backup of the starting quarterback. I want to see him play. The kid is simply too athletic and too fast not to be a weapon for the Dawgs. When I watch his high school highlights I think the kid has x-factor written all over him. I can't help but imagine him being a player like Hunter Renfrow at Clemson. But, what do I know? Any thoughts?

Comments

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am bigly excited about him.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd rather be a starting fish in a smaller pond than a bench sitting fish in a big pond.

• James13James13 Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 6

As a quarterback he is used to handling the ball. And with his athleticism, I don't think he'd have any problems catching the ball. And once he's got the ball, he looks to be pretty slippery and fast as lightning. I can just see him taking a slant route to the house.

@DCochran I sure hope we get his LOI..

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He really will be a special player imo. Kid is an excellent athlete and can definitely spin it. Mathis has the size you'd like to have but Plumlee reminds me of Brees a little bit with the ability to not just extend plays, but to pick up chunks of yardage on the ground too. It's a luxury we haven't had for awhile where 3rd and 10 a kid can put the ball where he wants it AND the ability to convert on 3rd down with his legs. Having to spy a qb creates big plays especially in man coverage because the backer can't cover a rb and spy the qb too. JMO of course, but I think he and Dean have a connection and mutual respect for each other having played each other for the state championship which imo will keep John a DAWG. I think he can be really special when Fromm's gone.

• IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Taysom hill 2.0? (Saints third string quarterback by the way)

edited January 6

Right on!!

I know Plumlee was disappointed when Kirby offered him a blue-shirt. I hope he knows how excited the fans are about him!

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Surely the blue shirt offer has been removed and he will have him a full scholarship waiting. Him and Mathis pushing each other would be a great thing !

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Think of a Christian McCaffrey that can throw the ball......

• donmdonm Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    I'd rather be a starting fish in a smaller pond than a bench sitting fish in a big pond.

I’d rather he be an “on tap” fish in our pond. He brings something different to the QB room.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

I’d rather he be an “on tap” fish in our pond. He brings something different to the QB room.

If I'm the player though, I'd rather play.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 295 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think he's a sleeper at QB. All the other schools offered him at WR/athletic. We got him cause we pitched QB. Hope he sticks with us and learns from Fromm. Be great to see Coley and Chaney coach him up to be the starter after Fromm. The offense would be ridiculous if you add his running ability on failed pass plays to the weapons we already have that command respect as well.

Hey D_D! I'm definitely excited about Plumlee. Also, I guess you saw Rod's announcement that he's coming back!

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe we can re-brand this whole Johnny Football thing

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh, if ended up at receiver he would b more Mecole Hardman than Hunter Renfro. And thats no disrespect to Renfro but tell u what. Watch his (Plumlee) You Tube highlights again. With his speed and hands he would just need to learn the intricacies or nuances of the WR position and to me, he would have legit All SEC potential.

@donm said:

@James13 said:

Hey D_D! I'm definitely excited about Plumlee. Also, I guess you saw Rod's announcement that he's coming back!

where did he go?

Over yonder.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@James13 said:

@donm said:

@James13 said:

where did he go?

Over yonder.

That's a relief. I was afraid he might have gone over there.

Yeah why slap the kid in the face by offering him a blue shirt. U rolled out the red carpet for Haselwood who was never gonna come here w/o the dual role of Freshman WR/OC, but a kid who wants to b a Georgia Bulldog u basically stiff arm him to the ground. Good job!!! 😣😣😣

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    Yeah why slap the kid in the face by offering him a blue shirt. U rolled out the red carpet for Haselwood who was never gonna come here w/o the dual role of Freshman WR/OC, but a kid who wants to b a Georgia Bulldog u basically stiff arm him to the ground. Good job!!! 😣😣😣

Plumlee would have to pay his way for about a month in the summer, and then be on scholarship in August. I think we're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. If he wants to go somewhere else, I get it. But UGA was one of the first big boy schools to recruit him as a QB only, and not an athlete... With all the early departures, and more transfers, medical DQs, etc. coming, he may have a spot without blueshirting now anyways. We shall see.

I hope so man. I watched a 12 minute You Tube clip of him and he is electric man. I ain't putting a kid like that off.

I wonder if our staff (CKS specifically) r going strickly DTs for now with us getting Plumlee ( Hopefully) and Mathis this cycle. I dont have a preference as I simply want the best player and an OC in place that can adapt to whatever he has under Center.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    I wonder if our staff (CKS specifically) r going strickly DTs for now with us getting Plumlee ( Hopefully) and Mathis this cycle. I dont have a preference as I simply want the best player and an OC in place that can adapt to whatever he has under Center.

Safe assessment. Pro passers will be elite (T. Lawrence) to get strong look from UGA.

Okay, thanks that provides some clarity. Kid is gonna b a get for someone down the road. Looks like a Roethlisberger type but thats to my untrained eye.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 232 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Teddy said:

@MeR3htid said:

Plumlee would have to pay his way for about a month in the summer, and then be on scholarship in August. I think we're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. If he wants to go somewhere else, I get it. But UGA was one of the first big boy schools to recruit him as a QB only, and not an athlete... With all the early departures, and more transfers, medical DQs, etc. coming, he may have a spot without blueshirting now anyways. We shall see.

It's not the 85 number that the problem. It's the 25 number. Kirby wants to count him towards next year's 25 not this year's.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dradcliff said:

@Teddy said:

@MeR3htid said:

It's not the 85 number that the problem. It's the 25 number. Kirby wants to count him towards next year's 25 not this year's.

85 scholarship max is the only number that matters. If more players transfer, that opens up spots

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Plumlee is another one I don’t understand why he’d want to come to UGA.

I’m not crazy about how aggressive Kirby recruits. But I’m not gonna switch teams over it. Just figure you take the good with the bad.

That’s why I ended up deciding to pull for Clemson over Bama in the NCG. Dabo does things a different way.