So about tonight....

Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Was the result good, bad, or neither for the Georgia program?

Comments

  • willpruden3willpruden3 Posts: 84 ✭✭✭ Junior

    It has no effect on UGA . just shows that Bama can be taken out of games if you have simular talent and execute for four quarters.

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Not sure it makes a huge difference but if I had to pick I would probably say bad. Bama was firmly established at the top of the mountain. Clemson is now there as well. From a perception standpoint them doing it with a freshman QB from GA adds a little extra punch.

  • AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    For recruiting I think it's a wash. Hurts Bama, helps Clemson, net neutral for us. For our current players, I think it's good to see that Bama is not invincible, which Clemson made quite clear tonight. All in all, I'm happy with the result. Can't wait for next season to get here.

  • Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PTDawg said:
    Not sure it makes a huge difference but if I had to pick I would probably say bad. Bama was firmly established at the top of the mountain. Clemson is now there as well. From a perception standpoint them doing it with a freshman QB from GA adds a little extra punch.

    Here is the problem for UGA.

    We have to overcome Bama first. For the last few years beating Bama means being the best because they were the best. We have failed so far to close the deal on Bama. Now we have to get over the Bama hump and the Clemson hump as well. Many here, including me, were suspect of Clemson’s schedule.

    It hurts recruiting since now a new, fresh champ that you could walk to from Athens is now VERY enticing to recruits.

    Add to it a Bama team that was just embarrassed coming out to prove something.

    Call me whatever you like but I’m a realist...it’s going to be tough getting back to the Natty soon let alone winning it.

  • Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Clemson won this game with all that dline talent and I’ll give them the remarkable plays by their wrs.... even tho lots of busted coverages on bama let that happen but tee Higgins and Ross with Lawrence throwing them the rock is special .... That being said all those guys for Clemson on the line are gone next year . Going to be hard to replace . They’ll reload ... but the dline is going to be hard to replace immediately . This is where I feel good about Georgia . Elite Oline and soon in the next few years the front 7 for Georgia will be elite .

  • mqg96mqg96 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Bad for the UGA program, because yet another rival, no different than Florida's 3 national titles or Auburn's 1 more, gets another national title and now Clemson is 2 ahead of us (have won all 3 since our previous one).

  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Loving the crying jorban action right here!

  • Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 59 ✭✭ Sophomore

    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

  • JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

    I don’t think it’s bad for us at all but it does make me wonder....
    we chase all of these 5* guys and that’s great but does Clemson get as many? (I didn’t really understand Jeff’s post) Seems like they really coach up the players they have and they execute when it matters.
    There has to be diamonds in the rough that we aren’t grabbing/evaluating maybe.... esp at the WR position.
    Something to be said about continuity as well.

  • browndawgbrowndawg Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

    Brett Venable is the best D coordinator in the business. He has great assistants and truly develops players with a “team first” mindset.

  • PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    One point worth making: Dabo has been doing this with much lower recruiting rankings. IMHO, the Dawg staff needs to kill off the complacency and take a radically more demanding approach this off-season, particularly on offense. I would bet our offensive two deep has a higher average rating than Clemson's. Coaching makes a difference.

  • coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I think that the development of our DL will change our offensive game plan. Having more depth on the DL, and the defense in general, will allow us to use a more aggressive, fast-strike offense that isn’t focused on making long drives and keeping the defense off the field so they can stay rested.

  • Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    Clemson has had players and coaches leave (who’s coaching Arkansas right now?) and we’ve had players and coaches stay....have you already forgotten about Sony, Chubb, etc? You don’t think folks haven’t contacted the Pitt Boss?

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @PerroGrande said:
    One point worth making: Dabo has been doing this with much lower recruiting rankings. IMHO, the Dawg staff needs to kill off the complacency and take a radically more demanding approach this off-season, particularly on offense. I would bet our offensive two deep has a higher average rating than Clemson's. Coaching makes a difference.

    I actually disagree. Clemson's per player average is elite. They just don't sign classes quite as large, typically. They also do a good job of really developing their studs at impact positions. If you have dynamic players at QB and on the LOS you can win big at the college level. The Barn rode that formula all the way to a title with Cam. Lawrence is obviously a talent and that DL is nasty. When is the last time that a defensive has been comprised of 4 1st-2nd round picks in the next draft? And Clemson did that without Lawrence, too.

  • PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PTDawg said:

    @PerroGrande said:
    One point worth making: Dabo has been doing this with much lower recruiting rankings. IMHO, the Dawg staff needs to kill off the complacency and take a radically more demanding approach this off-season, particularly on offense. I would bet our offensive two deep has a higher average rating than Clemson's. Coaching makes a difference.

    I actually disagree. Clemson's per player average is elite. They just don't sign classes quite as large, typically. They also do a good job of really developing their studs at impact positions. If you have dynamic players at QB and on the LOS you can win big at the college level. The Barn rode that formula all the way to a title with Cam. Lawrence is obviously a talent and that DL is nasty. When is the last time that a defensive has been comprised of 4 1st-2nd round picks in the next draft? And Clemson did that without Lawrence, too.

    Clemson's per player ability is elite, but compare the recruiting stars on offense.

  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

    If Clemson class sizes are smaller that should tell you something about their attrition rates. It says to me that they keep the players they recruit and develop them. I haven't looked t the rates, but it leads me to believe that they retain their kids for 3 + years at a higher rate than other elite programs.

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Doesnt change the goal or the strategy. Just helps them recruit. Woukd be worse if there wasnt an early signing day.

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PerroGrande said:

    @PTDawg said:

    @PerroGrande said:
    One point worth making: Dabo has been doing this with much lower recruiting rankings. IMHO, the Dawg staff needs to kill off the complacency and take a radically more demanding approach this off-season, particularly on offense. I would bet our offensive two deep has a higher average rating than Clemson's. Coaching makes a difference.

    I actually disagree. Clemson's per player average is elite. They just don't sign classes quite as large, typically. They also do a good job of really developing their studs at impact positions. If you have dynamic players at QB and on the LOS you can win big at the college level. The Barn rode that formula all the way to a title with Cam. Lawrence is obviously a talent and that DL is nasty. When is the last time that a defensive has been comprised of 4 1st-2nd round picks in the next draft? And Clemson did that without Lawrence, too.

    Clemson's per player ability is elite, but compare the recruiting stars on offense.

    Recruiting stars? Dabo is the outlier in the statistical sample. He is the best at talent assessment. The recruiting services should be paying him.

  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

  • Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Bankwalker said:

    @PerroGrande said:

    @PTDawg said:

    @PerroGrande said:
    One point worth making: Dabo has been doing this with much lower recruiting rankings. IMHO, the Dawg staff needs to kill off the complacency and take a radically more demanding approach this off-season, particularly on offense. I would bet our offensive two deep has a higher average rating than Clemson's. Coaching makes a difference.

    I actually disagree. Clemson's per player average is elite. They just don't sign classes quite as large, typically. They also do a good job of really developing their studs at impact positions. If you have dynamic players at QB and on the LOS you can win big at the college level. The Barn rode that formula all the way to a title with Cam. Lawrence is obviously a talent and that DL is nasty. When is the last time that a defensive has been comprised of 4 1st-2nd round picks in the next draft? And Clemson did that without Lawrence, too.

    Clemson's per player ability is elite, but compare the recruiting stars on offense.

    Recruiting stars? Dabo is the outlier in the statistical sample. He is the best at talent assessment. The recruiting services should be paying him.

    I think Dabo is just showing that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

  • Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    Not only that, at end of year 5 West Virginia hung 70 on him in the Orange Bowl. Talk about not showing up in a big bowl. Year 6 included 51-14 beat down by FSU in Death Valley. How quickly people forget Clemsoning. Kirby did inherit program in better shape, but has outperformed Dabo by wide margin nonetheless.

  • PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @Billybob101 said:

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    Not only that, at end of year 5 West Virginia hung 70 on him in the Orange Bowl. Talk about not showing up in a big bowl. Year 6 included 51-14 beat down by FSU in Death Valley. How quickly people forget Clemsoning. Kirby did inherit program in better shape, but has outperformed Dabo by wide margin nonetheless.

    Recency bias is definitely a powerful thing. Dabo and Clemson are the current darlings because of their performance last night. How quickly people forget how long he's been there and how many years they spent with a persistent level of being unable to win the big game.

  • HumbleYourselfHumbleYourself Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @PTDawg said:

    @Billybob101 said:

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    @TNDawg71 said:
    Dabo was on the hot seat at Clemson after year 3

    Not only that, at end of year 5 West Virginia hung 70 on him in the Orange Bowl. Talk about not showing up in a big bowl. Year 6 included 51-14 beat down by FSU in Death Valley. How quickly people forget Clemsoning. Kirby did inherit program in better shape, but has outperformed Dabo by wide margin nonetheless.

    Recency bias is definitely a powerful thing. Dabo and Clemson are the current darlings because of their performance last night. How quickly people forget how long he's been there and how many years they spent with a persistent level of being unable to win the big game.

    I think this speaks to importance of sticking with a coach you believe in through the upswings and downswings of their career. Dabo's longevity at Clemson has helped on many levels. Imagine if the Clemson AD overreacts to one of the anomalous down years and looks for a regime change. It's nice that sticking with a coach long term works out for someone...of course we are the counter point to this.

  • donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @PTDawg said:
    Not sure it makes a huge difference but if I had to pick I would probably say bad. Bama was firmly established at the top of the mountain. Clemson is now there as well. From a perception standpoint them doing it with a freshman QB from GA adds a little extra punch.

    We almost (very almost) did it with a freshman last year. Seems like being a freshman QB on a big stage is no big deal anymore.

  • Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 59 ✭✭ Sophomore

    @Billybob101 said:

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    @Commit_2_G said:
    Don't see anything good here. Another GA QB winning Natty not at GA. Defensive line and coaching staff stays at Clemson despite NFL opportunities and other head coaching poistions (we have guys flock to NFL after Jr season and possible coaches leaving for equivalent jobs not promotions). A non SEC team blowing out SEC team in game never helps with national prospective (especially when selecting playoff teams in following years). I think the whole thing just exposes our lack of leadership. We have tremendous talent and great recruiters but I just wonder who the team leaders are? The 'chopping wood' thing gets old, where's the inspiration??

    I love the Dawgs. I love the coaches and players but you can't win Championships on talent alone. The players and coaches need to buy into the program and see it through. That's why Clemson won (see returning palyers and coaches) and Bama is always there (see players like Hurts). All on the same page: play to win championships and to never give up for the U and the fans!

    Clemson has had players and coaches leave (who’s coaching Arkansas right now?) and we’ve had players and coaches stay....have you already forgotten about Sony, Chubb, etc? You don’t think folks haven’t contacted the Pitt Boss?

    Yes, but Clemsons DC will not go and has been offered numerous times! Smart didn't leave until his opportunity was perfect (not Colorado or Tenn). Yes, Sony and Chubb stayed and that's the reason we are where we are and that's my point! We need more of this! Renfroe and entire DL at Clemson, Hurts and Najee Harris at Alabama, Shae Patterson now at Michigan, etc.... All I'm saying is that most of our players who opted for NFL could of used another year of college seasoning to improve their position and they still left (forget the aspect of staying to win something). The DL out of Auburn just decided to stay and he is a 1st rounder on a bad team in turmoil and he still stayed! Sony & Chubb did stay but Richt recruited them and knew their character. Kirby seems to go after the guys Clemson isn't! They win Natty's over teams that are more talented, we win regular season games in which we have more talent (exception: Auburn & LSU). Like I said, I love Kirby and the Dawgs, just telling it how I see it.

  • orlandoorlando Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Venables had a special group this season. How will they look come fall?

Sign In or Register to comment.