Where we'll be better, worse and about the same in 2019 ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Feel free to break it down into sub-groups, I'll get the conversation started with broad strokes.

QB - plus. Jake will make big strides in his jr season.
RB -equal. losing Holyfield will hurt, but if White is ready, we'll be fine.
WR - minus. I don't see us having the depth and maybe not the versatility we had this season.
TE - minus. Losing both Nauta and Ford hurts.
OL- plus. talent, depth and more experience.

DL - plus. better depth of experience.
LB - plus. more everything.
DBs - plus losing Baker is big, but overall it's trending up.
Kicking - equal to plus. we need consistency at punting.

Offense - equal personnel wise, hopefully we improve scheme wise.
Defense - plus all the way around.
Coaching - stay tuned.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where we'll be better:
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB,

Where we will be about the same:
    WR, DB and kicking. I'll also throw TE in here because I really like Woerner but depth wise it will be worse off no doubt.

I don't think we take any steps backwards the way we've been recruiting. JMO

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    Where we'll be better:
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB,

WR, DB and kicking. I'll also throw TE in here because I really like Woerner but depth wise it will be worse off no doubt.

We disagree on WRs and TEs, hopefully you're right.

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:
    Where we'll be better:
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB,

I mean if we are talking in terms of production, about the same. I don't think we'll see anything radically different next season. Maybe less 2 TE sets but I could actually see Woerner putting up better stats than any one season Nauta had here. I wouldn't be surprised with 35 rec 450yds 4/5 TD's type year from him.

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:
    Where we'll be better:
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB,

I mean if we are talking in terms of production, about the same. I don't think we'll see anything radically different next season. Maybe less 2 TE sets but I could actually see Woerner putting up better stats than any one season Nauta had here. I wouldn't be surprised with 35 rec 450yds 4/5 TD's type year from him.

I like Woerner, but I don't think he's near the receiver Nauta is.
    At WR, just too many questions for me to feel confident there won't be a drop off. Robertson is a big key.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

TEs and Return game will be a little worse.
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB will be better
    DBs should be better for 3 out of 4, just how much we miss having a shutdown CB will have to be seen.

@TNDawg71 said:
    TEs and Return game will be a little worse.
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB will be better
    DBs should be better for 3 out of 4, just how much we miss having a shutdown CB will have to be seen.

Good point on return game, Mecole spoiled us.

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:
    Where we'll be better:
    QB, RB, OL, DL, LB,

I like Woerner, but I don't think he's near the receiver Nauta is.
    At WR, just too many questions for me to feel confident there won't be a drop off. Robertson is a big key.

Woerner makes some really tough catches and I think he has a more prototype frame that we can use in the redzone. Idk just a gut feeling on my part.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 137 ✭✭ Sophomore

I am thinking we are equal or plus in all positions. I would like to see us open up the offense a bit more. Can't argue yards or points but i just feel we are somewhat predictable. (Run on Run downs and Pass on Pass downs. ) And improvement on our special team trick plays..... So I am looking for coaching to step it up a bit.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 82 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm thinking at WR that Robertson should perform again and we'll have another emergence that is non-Robertson camp, similar to Holloman in 2018, but overall I wouldn't be surprised if that spot was less diverse than 2018 and closer to 2017.

It would not surprise me if a general split looked like Holloman 50/Robertson 40/K. Jackson 25/another one of the younger receivers or Simmons 15. That's just thinking about the wideout spot.

• Dawgfan30Dawgfan30 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

The whole defensive side of the ball will be improved. O-line,RB,QB will be equal. WR TE will have a drop off, but not by much. Defenses are going to try and run man coverage to load the box and I believe we have the talent to win those battles.

As for the season, ESPN just released their way to early top 25. Georgia plays every SEC school in the top 25 besides LSU. With Notre Dame added our schedule next year is going to be tough. Luckily we get most of those games at home and and a tough loss wouldn’t derail any hopes in my opinion. I believe Auburn is the only away game, besides Florida. Also, I believe Alabama loses 2 games next year and Georgia ends up playing LSU in the SECCG.

OHH we also have TWO bye weeks next year with the season starting a week earlier!

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

We'll be better from a leadership standpoint. One of the adverse effects of the QB "competition" is that is cut the legs off one of the team's best natural leaders in Fromm.

Pass rush- I can't wait to unleash the Wolfpack 2.0. We got nothing this year from anyone outside of Walker and we can't have that to go to the next level.

Defense as a whole- TIme for Tindall, Reece, Walker and Webb to make an impact. Campbell will progress, Daniel and Wilson should make immediate impacts.

Pass game will be the same. Everyone is enamored by Lawerence but Fromm is a top 5 QB nationally. I'm not concerned at all there.

The key will be the running game. I think we'll move more towards more of a 70/30 split with Swift leading the way. He's got Heisman talent and he's gonna have to carry this team on his own. I don't see a 50/50 split like the past few years. I love Herrien but I don't think he's good enough to push for a full-on timeshare.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

With the returning starters (more than last year) combined with the players who are transferring or going to the NFL. I would say around the same. From 2019 going into 2020, I expect our next set of juniors to return for their senior season a lot like the 2016 juniors going into 2017 as seniors.

Now here's where things get tricky. I look at some of Kirby Smart's strengths and weaknesses his first 3 seasons. He's 0-3 on the road vs SEC West opponents (all blowout losses). His offensive philosophy is very old school and conservative with Jim Chaney. We couldn't finish against Bama 2 years in a row. I just feel like 2019 is going to be a no margin for error test for Kirby, and the margin in the SEC East has gotten smaller now with Florida on the rise and if Tennessee stays healthy then look out for them too.

Mark Richt in year 1 with 11 regular season games 8-4.

Dan Quinn in year 1 with 16 regular season games, 8-8.

Kirby Smart in year 1 with 12 regular season games, 8-5.

All coaches had 8 wins in year 1.

Mark Richt in year 2 with 12 regular season games and no playoff, won the SEC and the Sugar Bowl, 13-1.

Dan Quinn in year 2 with 16 regular season games and 3 postseason games, made it to the Super Bowl and lost to the dynasty NFL team of this era in OT, 13-6.

Kirby Smart in year 2 with 12 regular season games and a playoff, won the SEC, Rose Bowl, made it to the national championship and lost to the dynasty college football team of this era in OT, 13-2.

All coaches had 13 wins in year 2.

Mark Richt in year 3 with 12 regular season games, lost a close game to LSU in Death Valley, lost to Saban by double digits in the SEC title game, and won a regular bowl game, 11-3.

Dan Quinn in year 3 with 16 regular season games and 2 postseason games, 11-7.

Kirby Smart in year 3 with 12 regular season games, lost to LSU in Death Valley by double digits, lost a close game in Saban in the SEC title game, and lost the Sugar Bowl, 11-3.

All coaches had 11 wins in year 3.

Now, here's what's interesting. Mark Richt in year 4 had a team with key returning seniors such as David Greene and David Pollack, and with 11 regular season games, had a disappointing 10-2 season and didn't win the East. Dan Quinn in year 4 had a season of high expectations (Super Bowl or bust) and went 7-9 (missed the playoffs).

Now let's go back to my first 2 paragraphs. With the transfers and the juniors we're losing early to the draft, is 2019 set up to be a disappointment for Georgia? We know it's hard to win any SEC division 3 years in a row. It rarely happens. Only Alabama and Florida have done it I believe. If our offense doesn't progress with Chaney or our defense takes a hit with the loss of Mel Tucker, that's the only reason I could see this happening.

If Kirby Smart matches Mark Richt in year 4 with 12 regular season games, that's 10-3 basically and someone else wins the East. If he matches Dan Quinn, then there would have to be catastrophic injuries for us to be 7-6.

Now remember folks, before Georgia went 12-0 in 1980, they had a mediocre record of 6-5 in 1979, and a lot like 2018 Georgia the 1978 team went 9-2-1. So I don't care how 2019 goes for the DAWGS, it could be really good, it good be really bad, but I'm looking forward to that 2020 Georgia squad, and Georgia gave Clemson the blueprint to stay aggressive against Bama, and Georgia like Clemson is still going to be getting those recruits and those athletes from our state.

edited January 8

@GBAL said:
    I am thinking we are equal or plus in all positions. I would like to see us open up the offense a bit more. Can't argue yards or points but i just feel we are somewhat predictable. (Run on Run downs and Pass on Pass downs. ) And improvement on our special team trick plays..... So I am looking for coaching to step it up a bit.

We scored 10 fewer ppg than Bama this year. We have to adapt. If we were a bit better on offense, we would have beaten The Gumps.

@DGDinNYC said:
    We'll be better from a leadership standpoint. One of the adverse effects of the QB "competition" is that is cut the legs off one of the team's best natural leaders in Fromm.

Pass rush- I can't wait to unleash the Wolfpack 2.0. We got nothing this year from anyone outside of Walker and we can't have that to go to the next level.

Defense as a whole- TIme for Tindall, Reece, Walker and Webb to make an impact. Campbell will progress, Daniel and Wilson should make immediate impacts.

Pass game will be the same. Everyone is enamored by Lawerence but Fromm is a top 5 QB nationally. I'm not concerned at all there.

The key will be the running game. I think we'll move more towards more of a 70/30 split with Swift leading the way. He's got Heisman talent and he's gonna have to carry this team on his own. I don't see a 50/50 split like the past few years. I love Herrien but I don't think he's good enough to push for a full-on timeshare.

On the RB rotation I think it'll look like: Swift-40% Zues-25% Herrien-15% Cook-15% McIntosh-5%
    Zamir will probably end up taking on a larger role as the season wears on but you can bet that want him as fresh as possible for the November stretch.

edited January 8

@Acrum21 said:

@DGDinNYC said:

On the RB rotation I think it'll look like: Swift-40% Zues-25% Herrien-15% Cook-15% McIntosh-5%
    Zamir will probably end up taking on a larger role as the season wears on but you can bet that want him as fresh as possible for the November stretch.

I'm not projecting White's stats till I'm sure he's 100%. In my mind I don't factor him in yet. If he's 100% he might get equal or more yards than Swift though.

• RobbieRob14RobbieRob14 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

QB- With another year under his belt, having experienced some adversity, and not having to look over his shoulder, I don't see how Fromm doesn't improve his game tremendously

RB- This is a tough one because it all depends on how healthy White is. If he is 90-100%, then we will take a step forward. If he doesn't fully recover, then I think we take a step back. Swift is fully capable of carrying the load, but what has made our running game so lethal the last 2 years has been the ability to have fresh legs.

WR- I know it sucks losing who we did, but if Robertson has fully bought in, I don't think we regress any here. I'll call it equal.

TE- Obviously we will be a little worse here. Depth should be a huge concern, but Woerner is a more than capable starter.

OL- Good God, we will be so much better! Iron sharpens Iron!

DL- Ledbetter not being around hurts more on leadership than on the DL. I can't wait to see what Jordan Davis does next year! We now have a few guys who I have confidence in plugging the middle with Davis and Wyatt. If Tymon Mitchell is anywhere close to these guys in talent, I think we're in for a huge step forward.

LB- Anderson, Cox, Ojulari, Tindall, Walker, Smith, Johnson, Dean. Plus seasoned vets that might not be as talented, but know how to play and have experience. I think this group could be close to the production we saw in 2017 by the end of the season.

DB- I think most of us were hoping that Lecounte would take a bigger step forward this year. Maybe he will make it next year. Our young depth at CB is going to be insane! Not sure if the 1s will be any "better" than this year though.

K/P- Hot Rod can't really get much better (choosing to ignore the SECCG), but we all know that Camarda has a huge leg. Maybe he will get rid of the jitters and be big for us next year.

Leadership- Fromm, Reed, Thomas, Woerner, Lecounte, I see big things out of these guys. I hope they can step up in the locker room and bring the team together more than they were this year.

Should be a good season!

Go Dawgs Beat Vandy!

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Feel free to break it down into sub-groups, I'll get the conversation started with broad strokes.

WR - minus. I don't see us having the depth and maybe not the versatility we had this season.

Coaching - stay tuned.

Thoughts ?

Looks about right to me.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 8

QB: improve slightly. He improves right off the get go by not having the drama and shoulder looking of Fields. The only way Fromm can truly improve is to A) not have a bad game (LSU and what same may have called Texas) and B) is to be called upon to do more work. Unless Fromm is asked to throw the ball another 100 times in the season then we wont see much more in productivity out of him. I think we will be lucky to see over 36 touchdowns out of Fromm, but we will not see less than 30

OL: improve vastly, the OL should be something opponents fear next year. The size of this unit and depth is staggering, I just do not have the words to say how high my expectations will be

TE: same... Woerner is a superior blocker and has great hands. He will be called upon more, but he is up for the task

WR: push but hopefully increase. I was actually not very impressed with our WR play this season. I think that Hollomon and D-rob lead the team in great ways and really step up to the plate here. There is also Kearis Jackson, Tommy Bush and Blaylock all with opportunities to make a big name for themselves next season. I would not be surprised to see WR play increase

RB: considering the OL, I would say improve... but if play calling stays similar to the Texas game then who knows where we will be if we allow 8 guys in the box all game long. A lot also depends on depth and staying healthy....for now I will say push

DL: improve... things should finally start looking up here

LB: improve... i expect big things out of these guys

DB: improve.... but someone has to fill bakers shoes. I am expecting a big season out of Reed

Kicking: improve... hot rod has minor improvements to make

Special teams: improve.... our punter was a freshman, he will help out a lot next year

Offense: similar to improve... Chaney better tighten up on some of this play calling, especially with stacked boxes
    Defense: improve
    Special teams: improve
    Coaching: improve

WAYYYYY to early projections

2018: points per game 37.3 to finish 13th in the nation
    2019: points per game 39.1 to finish 10th

2018: yards per play of 6.8 to finish 5th
    2019: yards per play of 7.0 to finish 4th

2018: opponents yards per game of 326.8 to finish 16th
    2019: opponents yards per game of 298.0 to finish 5th

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 266 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@GBAL said:

We scored 10 fewer ppg than Bama this year. We have to adapt. If we were a bit better on offense, we would have beaten The Gumps.

Do you remember we pulled our starters for second half of most games?

@Dawgsince76 said:

@WCDawg said:

@GBAL said:

Do you remember we pulled our starters for second half of most games?

So did Bama. I've posted our points per quarter compared to Bama's They are better in the first half than we are.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that there won't be as much diversity at WR during the first half of the season. Does anyone here believe that Blaylock can make any sort of impact as a freshman? He flashed a couple of times in the Army game, but coverage, from what I saw, was a joke. I don't think we can put much stock in that game.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Woerner is a more than capable as a lead target at the TE position. Only thing is is he's not gonna give u the run after catch component thats gonna make Nauta a matchup nightmare in the NFL and of course your depth was further compromised by Fords pending Transfer.

@MeR3htid said:
    Woerner is a more than capable as a lead target at the TE position. Only thing is is he's not gonna give u the run after catch component thats gonna make Nauta a matchup nightmare in the NFL and of course your depth was further compromised by Fords pending Transfer.

No run after catch? go to the 0:45 mark

Didn't say no run after the catch. Im aware that Woerner is a plus, plus athlete but I dont think he's quite as dangerous after the catch as Nauta. But do I think he (Woerner) also poses matchup problems? Sure if we'd care to exploit them when they present themselves. In closing, my only concern with this position unit is depth and Woerner in addition to his blocking, pass catching, and leadership responsibilities will have to b the glue that holds the TE room together next fall.

@MeR3htid said:
    Didn't say no run after the catch. Im aware that Woerner is a plus, plus athlete but I dont think he's quite as dangerous after the catch as Nauta. But do I think he (Woerner) also poses matchup problems? Sure if we'd care to exploit them when they present themselves. In closing, my only concern with this position unit is depth and Woerner in addition to his blocking, pass catching, and leadership responsibilities will have to b the glue that holds the TE room together next fall.

@MeR3htid said:

Okay fair enough but not many TEs r as good after the catch as Nauta but give yourself a 🍪, Woerner is no slouch.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 517 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not sure if WR will be a minus. It's been a crowded room with those guys, and I think there is a good chance that having more consistency from playing time for our starters will help overall. I think JJ will continue to get better and be the guy we saw flashes of this past year. I think D Rob will benefit most from having the last year on the bench and off season and will be hungry in 2019. Simmons and Bush will continue to get better and provide depth whereas Blaylock coming in is an unknown at this time, but the kid looks to have the tools to be in the rotation by mis season as a great pass catcher.

• LORLOR Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

I assume we’re just talking personnel since we still don’t have coordinators and scheme plays a huge part of production.

Offense - not as explosive, but will be able to produce. The offensive line was good this year, and if they can stay healthy they have every opportunity to be elite. Fromm as unquestioned starter should be better, but run game and athleticism at receiver is down. Still, should be good enough to move the chains.

Defense - the loss of Baker can’t be overstated. His ability allowed the defense to scheme differently and protect other weak points. The secondary will be young but will have some experience, especially at safety. I’m hoping for big improvement from the front 7, which was a weakness this last year. They will have to scheme for pressure unless some of these ends and outside backers can produce on their own - but Walker was the only guy last year that could do it with any consistency. Overall I suspect defense will be better just due to the level of talent, and the fact a lot of the young guys cut their teeth this year.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Coaching - stay tuned.

Thoughts ?

OK @WCDawg - I'm going to say I pretty much agree with this.

I believe the front seven will be and has to be better.

I'm a little more skeptical about the DBs. A lot of talent but losing a 1st round corner is difficult to replace.

I'm actually very bullish on our WRs. I believe the losses could actually help us. Its human nature -
    Some very talented kids see new oportunities for playing time and I believe the WR group will be the best spring battle.

I understand your concerns with losing so many WRs this year - and although they were good - we aren't exactly replacing A J Green, Julio Jones or Amari Coooer.

Holloman was probably (although it could have been Ridley) our most gifted WR last year and he is back. Mecole was obviously a great athlete and will be missed - but he isn't/wasn't a great WR. DRob is a wild card but could be everything that Mecole was.

Jackson, Bush are intriguing. And although I'm not usually a fan of playing freshman - freshman are becoming more of a factor in college football and Blaylock may have that "it" factor.

@MeR3htid said:

I think Nauta is a far more skilled route runner than Woerner.