I don't know what to think with tyson campbell

cd1044cd1044 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭ Junior

A part of me feels he is incredibly raw and never turns his head around, whole another part of me falls in love with his combination of size, length, speed, physicality and how much better he looked against Texas in the bowl game and how many future nfl stars such as patrick Peterson didn't exactly set the world on fire as freshmen. I've been on the eric stokes will be our no.1 corner next season bandgwagon. However, if tyson campbell works hard(which kirby has said he does) and plays more to his potential he absolutely can become our best corner he still is prob the most physically gifted corner on our team I truly still believe he can be special but at the same time his weaknesses are concerning. What do y'all think of tyson campbell?

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you might have a shrine of him in your living room

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Swiss army knife

• BigDawgBrinkBigDawgBrink Posts: 41 ✭✭ Sophomore

I think he's a big reason why we will again have one of the best secondaries in college football next year.

• cd1044cd1044 Posts: 443 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Kasey said:

with deandre baker gone someone has to emerge as the alpha in our secondary and campbell has the highest ceiling but stokes is the safest bet to do so at the same time

@BigDawgBrink said:
    I think he's a big reason why we will again have one of the best secondaries in college football next year.

if he plays to his potential and stokes keeps improving and divaad stays healthy, I truly believe we will have the best secondary in college fb

I just think of the countless examples of the amount of future nfl corners that really breakout in their second year in college and feel campbell has that potential if he has a strong summer.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:

@Kasey said:

with deandre baker gone someone has to emerge as the alpha in our secondary and campbell has the highest ceiling but stokes is the safest bet to do so at the same time

Stokes, Daniel, Stevenson, all are more natural CBs than Campbell. in my opinion.

• SavannahDawg1SavannahDawg1 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Campbell is going to be an excellent corner. He has had some growing pains much like a young Deandre Baker did. He was thinking to much this past year trying to keep up with the plays and formations. A year under his belt and an off season will do him wonders.

Mark it down that he will end up going 1st round at cb when it is all said and done.

• Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 60 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 9

He learned a lot this year. This has to be one of the most challenging positions to play as a freshmen. Most don't even see the field. Watched his HS counterpart and #1 rated HS CB Surtain struggle at Alabama as well.

He got a lot of experience and would expect him to improve dramatically next year and eventually become one of the better DBs in CFB by the time he leaves. But who knows really

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weren’t people saying they’re planning on moving Campbell to safety?

Plus, this question bumps a non-OC/non-Chaney thread back to the main page..

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

IMO, Campbell is going to be good. How good at CB is the question and if he might be better at Safety. I think his floor is solid SEC CB or S, ceiling could be AA.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think overall he did great

a lot of good points already made in this thread but don't forget he was also targeted A LOT because almost no one threw to Baker's side of the field

A lot was put on his plate and he handled himself well, all things considered. I would guess he makes a huge leap next year

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Campbell showed much improvement during the Sugar Bowl. He was better at turning his head to look for the ball. If he works hard in off season training, he has the tools to become a lock down corner for us.

@WCDawg said:

@cd1044 said:

@Kasey said:

Stokes, Daniel, Stevenson, all are more natural CBs than Campbell. in my opinion.

I agree with that even tho i've heard some rumblings that stevenson might be moved to safety

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember @JeffSentell saying that he expected Campbell to wind up as a safety. Perhaps we’re seeing why he said that.

@levander said:
    Weren’t people saying they’re planning on moving Campbell to safety?

Plus, this question bumps a non-OC/non-Chaney thread back to the main page..

doubt were going to move him to safety with lecounte, reed, and otis reese no point in doing that

@SavannahDawg1 said:
    Campbell is going to be an excellent corner. He has had some growing pains much like a young Deandre Baker did. He was thinking to much this past year trying to keep up with the plays and formations. A year under his belt and an off season will do him wonders.

Mark it down that he will end up going 1st round at cb when it is all said and done.

Agreed he did slow flashes of a young baker and this year he was overthinking things a lot. With a yrar now learning the playbook and grinding this offseason he could def develop into a star. In fact, walter football's 2021 mock draft had campbell projected to be a top 5 pick

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Campbell is a freshman. I don't understand why expectations are so big for someone who was just playing high school ball. Give these young men some time to mature. Like I've said many times on here, if you have to depend on a freshman, it's normally not that the freshman is that good, it is because you have no other options. Trevor Lawrence's don't come around often.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tyrique is not going to safety

@cd1044 said:

@WCDawg said:

@cd1044 said:

@Kasey said:

I agree with that even tho i've heard some rumblings that stevenson might be moved to safety

That would surprise me, but he'd be good at any DB position.

@ColaDawg86 said:
    Campbell is a freshman. I don't understand why expectations are so big for someone who was just playing high school ball. Give these young men some time to mature. Like I've said many times on here, if you have to depend on a freshman, it's normally not that the freshman is that good, it is because you have no other options. Trevor Lawrence's don't come around often.

That is a good point even patrick surtain,which was the only cb ranked ahead of tyson campbell coming out of hs, had rough moments

• LORLOR Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

@ColaDawg86 said:

Agreed. Campbell also didn’t arrive until the Fall, and didn’t have the benefit of spring or summer practices. Of course, let’s wait and see who coaches the DBs next year...

• CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

Physical? What part of his game is physical? He was pancaked time and time again in the Sugar Bowl including once in the back of the endzone when the officials had to pry the Texas WR off him.

He certainly has the potential but until he learns to turn his head more and be truly physical he might just get passed on by the next 5*.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 45 ✭ Freshman

I believe he has the potential to be an elite safety more so than corner. He can be a good corner though.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we land Elam, I would wager that Stevenson gets his first reps behind Richy

@Acrum21 said:

I might would take that bet.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cd1044 said:
    A part of me feels he is incredibly raw and never turns his head around, whole another part of me falls in love with his combination of size, length, speed, physicality and how much better he looked against Texas in the bowl game and how many future nfl stars such as patrick Peterson didn't exactly set the world on fire as freshmen. I've been on the eric stokes will be our no.1 corner next season bandgwagon. However, if tyson campbell works hard(which kirby has said he does) and plays more to his potential he absolutely can become our best corner he still is prob the most physically gifted corner on our team I truly still believe he can be special but at the same time his weaknesses are concerning. What do y'all think of tyson campbell?

His biggest weakness is being a freshman. If we had an upper class man to play this year it would have helped - but we didn't and Campbell got valuable experience - Stokes did as well.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 208 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like Campbell a lot. I think he is going to become a really good cover cornerback. Look for lots of improvement after having the opportunity to go through a full spring, get stronger, and come into Fall with a much better understanding of what he needs to do. Stokes has showed huge improvement this year. He has excellent recovery speed and will grow from the experience he got on the field this year. Don't forget that DJ Daniel is coming in and appears to have the physical attributes to contribute right away. I think CB will be a strength next year.

• bhamdawgbhamdawg Posts: 113 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Acrum21 said:

Huh??? 🤦🏾‍♂️ Are you really suggesting Stevenson to safety? Have you not watched this kid's film? He's is a natural get in your face, press man corner. He has great hip rotation and aggressive ball skills. Stevenson is not a safety, either Tyson steps up and take the position by the horns, or get ready to switch to safety. Because if Lecount doesn't stop bouncing off tackles and work on coverage skills, he will be benched.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can only speak for myself. I thought this kid was so gifted and physical that he would jump in with a short curve and ball. I was wrong. But I think he's got all the stuff to build his island. I'm w/ the folks above who think we potentially have the best secondary in CFB next season.