Does Jalen Hurts have the best resume of any transferring QB in CFB history?

BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hes accomplished quite a bit.

Comments

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No JF1 does... duh

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How soon we all forget Jeff Driskell

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Freshman player of the year
    2 time NCAA champ.

• innercityinnercity Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

@Bigcalidawg said:
    2 time NCAA champ.

1 time NCAA champ.
    Year 1: Bama lost to Clemson
    Year 2: Bama beat UGA
    Year 3: Bama lost to Clemson

Also I do not know much for credentials. But Russell Wilson was the best grad transfer. He played for an N.C. State team that was otherwise a 3 win team but led them to respectability. His coach tells him to give up baseball or lose his starting job, but in reality he preferred 2 years of Mike Glennon to 1 year of Wilson, because Glennon stated that he would transfer if he didn't get the starting job by his junior year. So Wilson was the one to transfer instead where he goes to Wisconsin and sets the NCAA record for passing efficiency (broken by Baker Mayfield, but in a spread passing offense where Wilson was in a spread option offense, and without as much talent around him at WR).

As for the coach who drove Wilson away, his gambit didn't work. Glennon wasn't the player that Wilson was, so they went 6-7 Glennon's senior year and O'Brien got fired anyway. Folks were upset because had Wilson gotten to play his last year at N.C. State, they might have actually won the ACC for the first time since 1979r because they actually beat ACC champs Clemson that year, but lost close games to Wake Forest, Boston College and Georgia Tech that Wilson would have won. Plus WIlson would have been a surefire Heisman winner instead of Robert Griffin III. And yes, producing their first ACC title in decades and Heisman winner ever would have earned him enough good will to save his job despite a losing seaosn or two.

Instead Clemson wins the ACC, goes to the 2011 Orange Bowl and set in motion events that led them to hire Brent Venables after the Orange Bowl and gain a commitment from Deshaun Watson two months later and the rest is history ...

• Mickey_HandMickey_Hand Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 10

@Bigcalidawg said:

I dunno – does that include Troy Aikman, Vince Ferragamo, Cam Newton, Baker Mayfield, Nick Marshall,……. and prob’ly a few more?

Sorry, I forgot you said resume'

@innercity said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    2 time NCAA champ.

1 time NCAA champ.

Also I do not know much for credentials. But Russell Wilson was the best grad transfer. He played for an N.C. State team that was otherwise a 3 win team but led them to respectability. His coach tells him to give up baseball or lose his starting job, but in reality he preferred 2 years of Mike Glennon to 1 year of Wilson, because Glennon stated that he would transfer if he didn't get the starting job by his junior year. So Wilson was the one to transfer instead where he goes to Wisconsin and sets the NCAA record for passing efficiency (broken by Baker Mayfield, but in a spread passing offense where Wilson was in a spread option offense, and without as much talent around him at WR).

As for the coach who drove Wilson away, his gambit didn't work. Glennon wasn't the player that Wilson was, so they went 6-7 Glennon's senior year and O'Brien got fired anyway. Folks were upset because had Wilson gotten to play his last year at N.C. State, they might have actually won the ACC for the first time since 1979r because they actually beat ACC champs Clemson that year, but lost close games to Wake Forest, Boston College and Georgia Tech that Wilson would have won. Plus WIlson would have been a surefire Heisman winner instead of Robert Griffin III. And yes, producing their first ACC title in decades and Heisman winner ever would have earned him enough good will to save his job despite a losing seaosn or two.

Instead Clemson wins the ACC, goes to the 2011 Orange Bowl and set in motion events that led them to hire Brent Venables after the Orange Bowl and gain a commitment from Deshaun Watson two months later and the rest is history ...

Oh yeah, Russell Wilson. He immediately took over Wisconsin. Did he win a natty? He was impressive

Im not gonna win any Bama trivia contests

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@innercity said:

@Bigcalidawg said:
    2 time NCAA champ.

1 time NCAA champ.

Oh yeah, Russell Wilson. He immediately took over Wisconsin. Did he win a natty? He was impressive

No he did not. But he did take them to a Rose Bowl which is probably as close as they will ever get

Wisconsin and UGA had very similar success during the CMR era.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

I dunno – does that include Troy Aikman, Vince Ferragamo, Cam Newton, Baker Mayfield, Nick Marshall,……. and prob’ly a few more?

Aikman was a transfer?

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Yep -- from Oklahoma to UCLA.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 11

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Only Cam won a NC among that group, something that Jalen did. Their post collegiate resume's were/could be pretty decent, except for Nick.

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Dang, I don't remember that. All I remember was WAZZU beating his azz in LA when UCLA was ranked #1 in 1988. Down by 21 in the 3rd quarter, the Cougs mounted a furious comeback. We practically tore the campus down that night. It would be like Vandy beating #1 Bama at Bama.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

None had his credentials WHEN they transferred though.

edited January 11

@TNDawg71 said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

That’s why I apologized earlier. I was ready to reply to the OP, then some guests showed up. And when I came back to my PC, I segued from responding to best resume to QBs I thought were better.

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Dang, I don't remember that. All I remember was WAZZU beating his azz in LA when UCLA was ranked #1 in 1988. Down by 21 in the 3rd quarter, the Cougs mounted a furious comeback. We practically tore the campus down that night. It would be like Vandy beating #1 Bama at Bama.

‘88. Was Napolean Kauffmann there then?!! He was a bad boy. Him and Emtman (sp)

@Mickey_Hand said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

That’s why I apologized earlier. I was ready to reply to the OP, then some guests showed up. And when I came back to my PC, I segued from responding to best resume to QBs I thought were better.

Its all good. Sometimes threads take a life of their own. How many times do we start out talking football, but end up talking food and beer?

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Come on, dude. Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm. Those guys are UW, not WAZZU. Don’t ever get those two confused.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Its all good. Sometimes threads take a life of their own. How many times do we start out talking football, but end up talking food and beer?

I don't know but how many times we do that, but I am getting hungry.

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

Come on, dude. Can’t tell if that’s sarcasm. Those guys are UW, not WAZZU. Don’t ever get those two confused.

Oh no, i was serious. I didn't know.
    My bad.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ Junior

He have a good resume but I think it's because of the talent around him instead of it being all about his skills as a QB. I wish him the best but I think he will see & understand the talent won't be the same at another school

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

My bad.

That’s like saying Hershel was great at GT.

People get WAZZU and UW confused all the time.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

My bad.

Those are fighting words

@YaleDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

My bad.

Those are fighting words

Exactly!

@YaleDawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@pgjackson said:

@Mickey_Hand said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Aikman was a transfer?

My bad.

Those are fighting words

Smh......

Here we go.......