A liberal's perspectvive on Justin Field's transfer waiver

CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 214 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have long realized that most of you disagree with me politically and though we don't talk about politics on this forum, it still is difficult for me to enjoy reading or posting on this forum because despite it being about football so much of what conservatives are taught to think drips through in your posts that cry out "fake news", etc.

I say this because what I am about to say might carry more weight because I think differently and it might surprise you.

I don't think Justin Fields deserves a waiver for a hostile environment.

I am quick to see the ways in which minorities and women face hostile environments in ways many caucasian males don't realize. It is pervasive. But, Georgia athletics has shown no hostility to minorities or women in a systematic way for a while (the shift is gradual and hard to pinpoint). I am very alert and sensitive to this.

What Sasser said was hostile. He got drunk and his inner views came out. What he said was clearly racist and clearly wrong and clearly painful. It was inappropriate.

To be honest, I was surprised at Georgia's reaction. I expected him to be admonished, maybe suspended for a few games, but I did not expect him to be kicked out. I think Georgia took the context of a hostile environment so seriously, they sent a message that Georgia does not tolerate such an environment and takes it so seriously, they are willing to give out the ultimate punishment to someone whose words or actions violates the ability for anyone regardless of who they are to be respected and comfortable.

I thought the message Georgia sent was very strong. It made me feel that Sasser was creating a hostile environment but Georgia most definitely was not. If Fields was asking for a waiver from Sasser, I would grant a waiver with less than a second of deliberation because you can't pretend hostility doesn't exist with a comment like that and you can't excuse it away with alcohol.

But Georgia? I don't see it. I don't see a hostile environment. I see an institution that evaluates coaches and athletes regardless of gender and ethnicity. I see increasing diversity in the coaching ranks. I see a commitment to any black or white or straight or gay or woman or man who is not treated fairly. Are there problems in places? Yes, but I believe these problems have changed from the norm to the exception. Sasser was the exception.

The norm at Georgia is that a hostile environment is not tolerated and if anything the Sasser event is evidence of the zero tolerance for a hostile environment at Georgia. It is evidence for the exact opposite of what Field is trying to claim. The way Georgia handled the Sasser incident made me proud and I am disappointed that the NCAA cannot see this. Though I am not surprised, because the NCAA , more than any other legal body I have ever seen, punishes those who handle things the right way more than those who try to deny and cover up their sins (cough Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee).

Comments

• allywallyw Posts: 244 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great post, @CaliforniaDawg!

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 55 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CaliforniaDawg said:
    I have long realized that most of you disagree with me politically and though we don't talk about politics on this forum, it still is difficult for me to enjoy reading or posting on this forum because despite it being about football so much of what conservatives are taught to think drips through in your posts that cry out "fake news", etc.

As someone who probably agrees with most of your political stance I want to thank you for mentioning this part specifically.
    There’s a lot of comments and posts in the threads that really show leanings and it’s difficult for sure.

ANYWAY

I agree with you. While Athens isn’t free from its **** side that so many people seem to ignore - this was not one of those examples. Like you, I was shocked they kicked him off the team. I thought he’s just get suspended. That shows that at the very least the institution is committed to creating an environment that doesn’t have room for that.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 214 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BBDAWG said:
    I stopped at "Liberal" :smiley:

@BBDAWG said:

You made me laugh, I gotta thumbs up that :)

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I tried to makes sense of what you said but I think I’m too white and male and masculine. I trust the others on here that it was a good read.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Redbonebandit said:
    I think your experience as a liberal on this board is a small taste of being a conservative in the culture currently. Agree with you as well there's no way UGA presents a hostile and racist culture. As others have mentioned isn't his sister coming here?

''the culture''.
    That depends on whether you're referring to electronic media or what you experience every day locally. This region is overwhelmingly conservative and antagonistic to all things ''liberal''.
    As far as what Fields experienced vs what he might have perceived, I'm sure he never faced pervasive overt racism at UGA, certainly not any institutional prejudice. I can't get in his head or know what it's like to walk into a convenience store at 2am as a 230lb young black man though. I have little doubt he sees fear and distrust far more than this 5'9'' 185lb white dude can relate to.
    That will likely be just as true in Columbus Ohio though.

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

Kumbaya...... :)

edited January 9

@VaBeachDawg said:
    I tried to makes sense of what you said but I think I’m too white and male and masculine. I trust the others on here that it was a good read.

I trust my manhood is still in place without having to look or touch it every few minutes, Masculinity doesn't need to be expressed.

Then again, I'm a mean old dude, what do I know ?

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't believe that word wasn't blocked. Oh well

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 9

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@Redbonebandit said:
    I think your experience as a liberal on this board is a small taste of being a conservative in the culture currently. Agree with you as well there's no way UGA presents a hostile and racist culture. As others have mentioned isn't his sister coming here?

Redbonebandit, even though I live in California now, you would be surprised how connected I am in Georgia. For example, the last time Stacey Abrams and Stacy Evans (who ran against her in the Democratic primaries) laughed and had fun together was probably at my house for dinner. I could go on, but that would be ****.

The point is, if you ever want to talk with me, and this is a serious offer, about your thoughts, you just might be surprised that I would want to hear what you have to say. I value your concerns and would only hope that you would also value mine.

If you ever want to talk by phone, just to give it a wild shot at finding common ground, send me a direct message to connect.

For everyone else, I apologize at taking this thread off topic. I really want the main focus to be on my respect for Georgia and the environment for all athletes it places value on.

Ol Abrams can pound some food cant she?

• BBDAWGBBDAWG Posts: 48 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CaliforniaDawg said:

@BBDAWG said:

@BBDAWG said:

You made me laugh, I gotta thumbs up that :)

Hahahaha

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@texdawg said:
    Can't believe that word wasn't blocked. Oh well

Yeah, we've covered this topic before. You can say piss and asshole, as long as you don't say u.g.l.y. or m.o.n.k.e.y.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@rednavel said:

You know what dude this was a fairly original post with a different perspective from other threads. You weren’t put on Earth to police the DawgNation forum

Different take, same topic I linked to.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

@rednavel said:

You know what dude this was a fairly original post with a different perspective from other threads. You weren’t put on Earth to police the DawgNation forum

You’re starting to get the act down. But I would have let that one slide with just a downvote. No reason to call attention to it if for some reason you like this thread.

@CaliforniaDawg said:

I say this because what I am about to say might carry more weight because I think differently and it might surprise you.

I am quick to see the ways in which minorities and women face hostile environments in ways many caucasian males don't realize. It is pervasive. But, Georgia athletics has shown no hostility to minorities or women in a systematic way for a while (the shift is gradual and hard to pinpoint). I am very alert and sensitive to this.

What Sasser said was hostile. He got drunk and his inner views came out. What he said was clearly racist and clearly wrong and clearly painful. It was inappropriate.

To be honest, I was surprised at Georgia's reaction. I expected him to be admonished, maybe suspended for a few games, but I did not expect him to be kicked out. I think Georgia took the context of a hostile environment so seriously, they sent a message that Georgia does not tolerate such an environment and takes it so seriously, they are willing to give out the ultimate punishment to someone whose words or actions violates the ability for anyone regardless of who they are to be respected and comfortable.

I thought the message Georgia sent was very strong. It made me feel that Sasser was creating a hostile environment but Georgia most definitely was not. If Fields was asking for a waiver from Sasser, I would grant a waiver with less than a second of deliberation because you can't pretend hostility doesn't exist with a comment like that and you can't excuse it away with alcohol.

But Georgia? I don't see it. I don't see a hostile environment. I see an institution that evaluates coaches and athletes regardless of gender and ethnicity. I see increasing diversity in the coaching ranks. I see a commitment to any black or white or straight or gay or woman or man who is not treated fairly. Are there problems in places? Yes, but I believe these problems have changed from the norm to the exception. Sasser was the exception.

The norm at Georgia is that a hostile environment is not tolerated and if anything the Sasser event is evidence of the zero tolerance for a hostile environment at Georgia. It is evidence for the exact opposite of what Field is trying to claim. The way Georgia handled the Sasser incident made me proud and I am disappointed that the NCAA cannot see this. Though I am not surprised, because the NCAA , more than any other legal body I have ever seen, punishes those who handle things the right way more than those who try to deny and cover up their sins (cough Auburn, Ole Miss, Tennessee).

Good boy, they like their liberals differential and humble.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 517 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:

@rednavel said:

You’re starting to get the act down. But I would have let that one slide with just a downvote. No reason to call attention to it if for some reason you like this thread.

Dom, did you just reply to your alternate ego? If so, I Vote Up.

• rednavelrednavel Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:

@rednavel said:

I have so very much to learn.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 10

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

I trust my manhood is still in place without having to look or touch it every few minutes, Masculinity doesn't need to be expressed.

I feel I must apologize to you. After reading most of your posts over the last 2 months, I assumed you were a middle aged woman. Your pink smiley face doesn't help. But sorry for assuming...you know the saying.

P.s. but are you sure your wife doesn't use this same account?

@TMazz2009 said:

@WCDawg said:

@VaBeachDawg said:

I feel I must apologize to you. After reading most of your posts over the last 2 months, I assumed you were a middle aged woman. Your pink smiley face doesn't help. But sorry for assuming...you know the saying.

P.s. but are you sure your wife doesn't use this same account?

I might be the least kuntly person who posts here. It has nothing to do with the genitalia I have either.
    Most of you have to read a few posts to know what is ok to think, at least I have the guts to be independent.

edited January 10

@kelly_b said:

I'm left of what they call liberal in America and I agree w/ you. I've said it elsewhere. I'm not buying it. It's probably worse to exploit laws meant to truly protect those who might be subject to a hostile environment when that isn't the case. In fact, it is worse.

What is Fields actually claiming ? That seems to be an unknown. I've seen reports he'll say Chaney made him feel uncomfortable, whatever that might entail. Then there is a whole lot of speculation that seems to be based on who Fields' lawyer is reported to be and a couple of click bait articles originated by a reporter aligned with the rabble rousing Jim Rome.

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

@CaliforniaDawg said:
    omitted....

omitted....

omitted.....

Sorry to spoil this but, why would Fields getting a waiver be the Liberal position? Isn't it the case that this cycle (and several before), the Dems have truth on their side? Start with what is true, then make assessment and opinions, not the other way around, like the "others" do.

And laying it on a little thick as to the EEO/diversity complianceness (I think you may be a Red who's trying to pass for a Lib, frankly) in that UGA is not about to hire a "stout" lesbian dyslexic paraplegic and dysphasic Asian woman as DB coach. Perhaps have been hot-tubbing it too long on the left coast.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

Fair enough. I'm basing my response here on other threads and articles like this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2814822-justin-fields-lawyer-thomas-mars-hopes-for-eligibility-ruling-in-6-weeks

You can deduce what Mars' argument(s) will be.

EDIT: I am curious as to what the "whole story" is...but it's reasonable to think that Mars is just padding his case around the Sasser comments. He knows he has a weak case so he's dripping innuendo to the press.

@FirePlugDawg said:

@CaliforniaDawg said:
    omitted....

omitted....

omitted.....

Sorry to spoil this but, why would Fields getting a waiver be the Liberal position? Isn't it the case that this cycle (and several before), the Dems have truth on their side? Start with what is true, then make assessment and opinions, not the other way around, like the "others" do.

And laying it on a little thick as to the EEO/diversity complianceness (I think you may be a Red who's trying to pass for a Lib, frankly) in that UGA is not about to hire a "stout" lesbian dyslexic paraplegic and dysphasic Asian woman as DB coach. Perhaps have been hot-tubbing it too long on the left coast.

How about we hire a blow hard, airport toilet, toe tapping, conservative **** gobbler as DB coach ? The woods are full of that type of posturer.