I just meet Herschel Walker

deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

Herschel Walker came out to Ramstein AB today and had a meet and greet with the military folks out here and I got to meet with him for a couple minutes. After the photos and autographs I took a chance and talked some football with him and he was very happy to talk UGA football. I asked about Zamir White and he absolutely lit up and was beaming. He was very excited about Zamir and said he is a "baller." He gave the distinct impression that Zamir will be good to go for next season. He then mentioned that he was shocked that Holyfield left and it really surprised him that he declared for the draft. At that point we got caught off before he could finish what he was about to say and I got shooed away but it was awesome to talk a little UGA football with him. Hopefully this can ease some worried minds out there on Zamir and I can't wait for next season. Go Dawgs!!!!

Comments

  • TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    Wow, very cool

  • allywallyw Posts: 244 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Awesome, @deutcshland_dawg!!!! That makes for a pretty awesome day!

  • deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @allyw said:
    Awesome, @deutcshland_dawg!!!! That makes for a pretty awesome day!

    Highlight of the year so far

  • TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

    I was at UGA with Herschel for only one year, his last, but I remember seeing him walking in front of Soule Hall by himself carrying a load of books. It was like seeing a legend even back then. A couple months later in January 1983 some guy no one had ever heard of (Donald Trump) offered him millions to join a new league called the USFL.

  • levanderlevander Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @TurkDawg said:
    I was at UGA with Herschel for only one year, his last, but I remember seeing him walking in front of Soule Hall by himself carrying a load of books. It was like seeing a legend even back then. A couple months later in January 1983 some guy no one had ever heard of (Donald Trump) offered him millions to join a new league called the USFL.

    Pretty sure Trump didn’t buy the New Jersey Generals until Hershel’s second year there.

  • kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Great story @deutcshland_dawg - thx.

  • VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Great post! I met him once before in Statesboro and he was roughly the size of 3 of me put together.

  • BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @levander said:

    @TurkDawg said:
    I was at UGA with Herschel for only one year, his last, but I remember seeing him walking in front of Soule Hall by himself carrying a load of books. It was like seeing a legend even back then. A couple months later in January 1983 some guy no one had ever heard of (Donald Trump) offered him millions to join a new league called the USFL.

    Pretty sure Trump didn’t buy the New Jersey Generals until Hershel’s second year there.

    Whenever ut was, this article aays someone else owned the Geneals when Walker signed. I always thiught it was Trump. I can finally move on from my grudge.

    https://newsok.com/article/2015037/usfl-contract-makes-walker-top-paid-player

  • DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Cool to hear the great HW's take on Zamir. Thanks for sharing! About 1982 a buddy and I walked out of a UGA dorm late at night. He just got rejected and was not handling his alcohol. Someone had just parked, blocking my car and was walking toward us in the dark. My buddy blurted 'Hey MF move your GD car'! Totally asinine. I quickly corrected 'not MF but could you please move your car' As the guy approached we could see it was Dominique Wilkins. He said 'Sorry I blocked you, I'll move my car' and shook our hands as he continued.: 'looks like ya'll are having a good time tonight, I am having a good time too. ' I always figured that DW knew he was a short time away from being very rich and had no ego need to put my friend in his place. A couple of weeks ago, right after a UGA win on SEC network, A Storied SEC segment featuring Dominique came on. I realized this was the nature of Dominique, which I very much respect.

  • tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Wish HW wouldve came by while i was laid up in landstuhl (spell check) lol. I wouldve talked his ear off all night laid up in a hospital bed. God that was boring

  • deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @tymoon31 said:
    Wish HW wouldve came by while i was laid up in landstuhl (spell check) lol. I wouldve talked his ear off all night laid up in a hospital bed. God that was boring

    Hopefully you don't end up at LRMC again but if you do I will come talk Georgia with ya

  • LuvsDawgsLuvsDawgs Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

    I think the closest I ever got to meeting him was when I lived in some apartments in Augusta. Every now and then, there’d be some sporty car....can’t remember what....parked in one of our designated parking spots when I got home from work. No big deal. After a few months of this happening every now and then, one of our really cute female neighbors came up to me and said she was sorry about our parking spot being taken by her friend, but he only came over when he happened to be going thru Augusta. I told her I didn’t care. She asked if I was a Dawg fan and she said “Oh, well maybe you’ve heard of him. He used to play for them. Herschel Walker?”.
    From then on, I kept a lookout for him, but never saw his car again!! Funny.

  • destindawg1destindawg1 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

    I'm from Athens and graduated UGA in 1982 as did my brother and sister around that time. I have all kinds of Herschel stories but always remember this one. He was notorious for never sleeping, just didn't need much sleep I guess. He also liked to talk to the young ladies on the phone that he met in class, all hours of the night. One was my sister who happened to still live at home. Any other person calling the house at 3AM my Dad would have killed them. Whenever Herschel called he was like " Cindy, wake up, it's Herschel on the phone" and back to bed he went. He was a Tech grad and hated being disturbed in his sleep but this was Herschel Walker!!

  • tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @deutcshland_dawg said:

    @tymoon31 said:
    Wish HW wouldve came by while i was laid up in landstuhl (spell check) lol. I wouldve talked his ear off all night laid up in a hospital bed. God that was boring

    Hopefully you don't end up at LRMC again but if you do I will come talk Georgia with ya

    Nah ive been out a few years now. If i end up back there, **** really hit the fan lol

  • ziggyholidayziggyholiday Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

    .....I sure do wish he had came to Wiesbaden!

  • mwilsonmwilson Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

    That's awesome! Glad you got to meet him. I got to meet him back in 2012 when he visited Camp Lejeune for mental health awareness. My Commanding Officer knew how much of a Georgia fan I was and let me be his driver for the day. We talked a lot about running backs too. It was about Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley though. Of course he said that Gurley looked impressive to the point where he would be a force! He was right! Anyway we talked about the reason why he was there, mental health. It is amazing to me that he does not remember winning the Heisman Trophy and several other significant events in his life. He is an amazing man who supports the troops!

  • christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @deutcshland_dawg Ahhhh Herschel! He’s always & forever a DGD (perhaps the most memorable one of all time?) & it’s great to hear that he’s also excited about Zamir White.

Sign In or Register to comment.