Tua and Fromm against top 30 defenses

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 10 in Football

Finebaum tweeted an interesting split on Tuas' stats this season:
Vs top 30 defenses- (Faced 4 defenses in the top 30)
6 TD
6 INT
QBR 43
Com pct 58%
Yds/Att 7.5
Only faced 1 top 30 defense on the road with 2 others at neutral sites

Fromm also faced 4 top 30 defenses-
8 TD
2 INT
QBR 63
Com pct 72%
Yds/Att 8.7
Jake faced 2 top 30 defenses on the road and 2 at neutral sites

Just saw the tweet and decided to see how Jake measured up. Maybe he doesn't choke as bad as some of y'all thought or maybe Tuna is just a game manger also? The stats are more even if we look at composite ratings like S&P+ but key word there being even. Lets discuss

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fromm isn't as flashy, but he is really far from being our problem. He doesn't have great speed, but really I don't see much of a weakness in his game.

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Over under 3.5 surgeries for Tua this offseason?

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To me it's a perception thing. Tua has a wow factor that Jake doesn't, but for my money, I'll take Jake. That said, Tua has an edge over him with his ability to throw receivers open (hopefully Jake will continue to work on this and I believe he will), but I don't buy the bunk about Jake not being able to throw the deep ball. That's more on the OC - plenty of threads on that. So, while Tua may have one advantage, Jake can leverage his cerebral mastery of the game. He sees defenses and adjusts with precision - on a very sophisticated level - leading to fewer errors. Not sure what happened in those losses, but they were uncharacteristic of his entire body of work. I also think that, based on evidence, Jake holds up better in the pocket, meaning he's more durable and typically less likely to make unwise decisions under pressure.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    Over under 3.5 surgeries for Tua this offseason?

1 for knee
    1 for ankle
    1 from dads spankings
    give me the under I suppose

lol.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

http://www.espn.com/college-football/qbr

There is a reason Fromm finished in the top 5 in the entire country. Also, he is just a sophomore

Jake should finish in the top 4 next season but I don’t see him beating out Trevor Lawrence and it will be a toss up between who finishes in front between Tua and Fromm

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GO JAKE!!

• VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

There is a reason Fromm finished in the top 5 in the entire country. Also, he is just a sophomore

Jake should finish in the top 4 next season but I don’t see him beating out Trevor Lawrence and it will be a toss up between who finishes in front between Tua and Fromm

Just looked and was surprised where Herbert ended up. I figured he'd at least be top 10 with all of the NFL speculation. I guess he could be considered a dark horse candidate.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    Fromm isn't as flashy, but he is really far from being our problem. He doesn't have great speed, but really I don't see much of a weakness in his game.

He needs to try more when he runs. Last year he did, this season he seemed to intent on avoiding contact.
    It's correctable of course, but sliding a yard short of a 1st down needs to stop.

Do you think he was more aware of possibly losing his spot to Fields and didn’t want to risk it due to injury, kind of like what happened with Eason?

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

He needs to try more when he runs. Last year he did, this season he seemed to intent on avoiding contact.
    It's correctable of course, but sliding a yard short of a 1st down needs to stop.

Likely he was told to quit it.

I remember when Aaron Murray was just starting as our QB. His first game he had a big run where he took a shot at the end. I clearly remember Richt in the post game saying that needed to stop (we didn't have depth at that point.... Mettenburger had been kicked off the team).

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Likely he was told to quit it.

I remember when Aaron Murray was just starting as our QB. His first game he had a big run where he took a shot at the end. I clearly remember Richt in the post game saying that needed to stop (we didn't have depth at that point.... Mettenburger had been kicked off the team).

He ran a number of times a against Texas, it was a little painful

@Muffingod said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Do you think he was more aware of possibly losing his spot to Fields and didn’t want to risk it due to injury, kind of like what happened with Eason?

Maybe, clearly the dynamic was not good.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Statistically, Fromm had a better season than Lawrence. Same TDs (30) with one less game, higher YPA, completion % and QB rating. Clemson throws a lot more than UGA so Lawrence has more yards per game. Both guys lit up the Bama defense.

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Yeah, not as many bootlegs this year. Last year Fromm would fake out the entire stadium and TV crew with some of his keepers.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

yeah, but what about vs top 35 defenses?

• innercityinnercity Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

@pgjackson said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Statistically, Fromm had a better season than Lawrence. Same TDs (30) with one less game, higher YPA, completion % and QB rating. Clemson throws a lot more than UGA so Lawrence has more yards per game. Both guys lit up the Bama defense.

No this is not true at all. Lawrence did not start the first 4 games of the season AND he missed much of the Syracuse and Louisville games, though the latter was due to 77-16. So go by the 9 games that Lawrence actually played most of the snaps. Even if you compare it to Fromm's best 9 games the difference is sizable.

• innercityinnercity Posts: 17 ✭ Freshman

@Acrum21 said:
    6 TD
    6 INT
    QBR 43
    Com pct 58%
    Yds/Att 7.5

8 TD
    2 INT
    QBR 63
    Com pct 72%
    Yds/Att 8.7

Just saw the tweet and decided to see how Jake measured up. Maybe he doesn't choke as bad as some of y'all thought or maybe Tuna is just a game manger also? The stats are more even if we look at composite ratings like S&P+ but key word there being even. Lets discuss

Some context: Tua was injured against LSU, UGA and Auburn. And we have no idea how Fromm would have fared against Clemson who is just as good as Alabama in the front 7 but isn't a brush fire in the secondary. Meanwhile instead of Clemson, UGA played Kentucky as the other team with the top 30 defense, who despite their stats is still just Kentucky who rarely recruits blue chip prospects or future #1 NFL draft picks on defense the way that UGA, Auburn, LSU and Clemson - the defenses Tua faced - do. UGA has a better secondary than Bama does too, if a much worse pass rush. Also Tua was knocked out of the UGA game while Fromm played all of it.

Just bad stats by Finebaum.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@innercity said:

@Acrum21 said:
    6 TD
    6 INT
    QBR 43
    Com pct 58%
    Yds/Att 7.5

8 TD
    2 INT
    QBR 63
    Com pct 72%
    Yds/Att 8.7

Some context: Tua was injured against LSU, UGA and Auburn. And we have no idea how Fromm would have fared against Clemson who is just as good as Alabama in the front 7 but isn't a brush fire in the secondary. Meanwhile instead of Clemson, UGA played Kentucky as the other team with the top 30 defense, who despite their stats is still just Kentucky who rarely recruits blue chip prospects or future #1 NFL draft picks on defense the way that UGA, Auburn, LSU and Clemson - the defenses Tua faced - do. UGA has a better secondary than Bama does too, if a much worse pass rush. Also Tua was knocked out of the UGA game while Fromm played all of it.

I'm trying to create a narrative here. Chill out

@innercity said:

@Acrum21 said:
    6 TD
    6 INT
    QBR 43
    Com pct 58%
    Yds/Att 7.5

8 TD
    2 INT
    QBR 63
    Com pct 72%
    Yds/Att 8.7

While all true the numbers are significantly skewed, so it isn't like there isn't a story to tell

@innercity said:

@pgjackson said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

No this is not true at all. Lawrence did not start the first 4 games of the season AND he missed much of the Syracuse and Louisville games, though the latter was due to 77-16. So go by the 9 games that Lawrence actually played most of the snaps. Even if you compare it to Fromm's best 9 games the difference is sizable.

I'll give you the numberf of games. I forgot he didn't start early. But the rest is accurate. Higher YPA, completion %, and QB rating.

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Fromm is a winner & he will have an amazing season in 2019! He has my full support! Excited about the future at UGA! Go Dawgs!

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@deplorabledawg said:
    Fromm is a winner & he will have an amazing season in 2019! He has my full support! Excited about the future at UGA! Go Dawgs!

I feel honored you popped your forum cherry on my post. Welcome!

• mwilsonmwilson Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

Fromm is like Montana= surgical (most of the time) and Tua is like Rodgers (not great against top competition).

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Muffingod said:

I'm thinking Jake knew who was on the bench and didn't want to let the team down by getting hurt.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake is a great player man but he cant improvise off of broken plays or run away from people to buy time to get rid of the ball, or throw accurately outside the pocket when on the move. I mean lets b real, he has his limitations. His arm strength looks fine to me and he checks a lot of boxes, too many to enumerate right here and I cant help but c us winning a Natty with him either this year or next.

@pgjackson said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Yeah, not as many bootlegs this year. Last year Fromm would fake out the entire stadium and TV crew with some of his keepers.

I don't care if he never has to run. When he does though, at least try for the 1st down marker before taking a dive.

• BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

While I’ll agree he could improve his running game- let’s give it to the kid for never getting knocked out of a game. He’s a tough country boy that refuses to come out because of injury. When you weigh the value of basically no missed snaps (except when Kirby was kissin QB2’s butt), versus some lost yardage on run plays- I can live with the lost yardage. BTW- he knows his gaps, and you can bet he is already working on them while dissecting his 2018 game film for improvement. That is what you get with a Jake Fromm...

• walthamstowdawgwalthamstowdawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

@MeR3htid said:
    Jake is a great player man but he cant improvise off of broken plays or run away from people to buy time to get rid of the ball, or throw accurately outside the pocket when on the move. I mean lets b real, he has his limitations. His arm strength looks fine to me and he checks a lot of boxes, too many to enumerate right here and I cant help but c us winning a Natty with him either this year or next.

yeh i agree with this. it feels like every team is going to be throwing blitzes at us next year, because fromm looks incapable of escaping the pocket, readjusting, and throwing on the fly. when he has time to throw he looks great, but when he feels pressure he seems to duck his head and concentrate on not fumbling, rather than looking to escape and improvise.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great thing is though, is he's (Fromm) not gonna have to play hero ball as I'll go out on a limb and say that if Georgia wins a Natty in either Jakes Jr or Sr seasons it will b because our Defense would have finally grew into the kind of monster that Kirby envisioned when he took the job and at some point over the next 2 seasons it will. So Jake in his 3rd and 4th season will simply have to manage things offensively as our defense does Most of the heavy lifting and trust me thats where most of the National buzz is gonna b. On Georgias ability to consistently throttle opposing offenses. Even the elite ones. Thats gonna b our ticket and Jake Fromms too. 😂😂😂😂😂😂