Eddie Cran offered OC JOB?

Dawgfan30Dawgfan30 Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Comments

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ewwww

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

This one baffles me. Would lead me to believe Coley wont be around past next year. Why put him on the path to the job and not give it to him?

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

really? Geez. I was hoping for a home run type hire - maybe a well known name. If it's accurate, then I hope

But he help made Kentucky relevant so I guess it’s kool

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't know what to make of this one. I'm straining to remember what about Kentucky's offense could make anyone think he is going to be good. Maybe it is simply that he is obedient to his HC.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If so, I'm baffled. The guy adds nothing that I can see.

It seems like he runs a spread power type of offense....

@donm said:

really? Geez. I was hoping for a home run type hire - maybe a well known name. If it's accurate, then I hope

I don't care about the name, I do care that this guy hasn't done anything creative or overly clever that I can see.

• DuckDawg25DuckDawg25 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

@bigdawg2223 said:
    Look at his offense at Cincinnati, UK doesn’t have the tools to run his offense effectively and he still did a great job with them. This is going to be an awesome hire! I like it a lot better than Chaney or Coley honestly. I still think Coley stays on as Co-OC QB coach.

I'm pretty sure Coley and Cran have worked together too.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 305 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@101ina45 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

I don't care about the name, I do care that this guy hasn't done anything creative or overly clever that I can see.

I have to push back a little on this. The dude won at KENTUCKY, the punching bag of the SEC East. Plus they did it with a suspect QB at that.

I thought Vanderbilt was the punching bag of the SEC East? Well to everyone but UTjr that is

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

@DuckDawg25 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:
    Look at his offense at Cincinnati, UK doesn’t have the tools to run his offense effectively and he still did a great job with them. This is going to be an awesome hire! I like it a lot better than Chaney or Coley honestly. I still think Coley stays on as Co-OC QB coach.

I'm pretty sure Coley and Cran have worked together too.

In his bio it did mention FSU and Miami you’re right!

• GeorgiafanGeorgiafan Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

WC - Have you seen his resume?

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

They were together at FSU 2012-2014 if I remember correctly. Is this a CO offer and he AND Coley will be given the reigns of the offense? If not, I can't imagine Coley would be thrilled. Don't know what to make of this yet. I thought Coley was a lock. Losing Coley's recruiting ability in Florida specifically would S U C K!!

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 294 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is a home run hire if we can keep Coley! Eddie Gran is highly thought of in coaching circles and his offenses at Cinncy were on fire. He did a great job using the tools he had at Kentucky and will have a few more toys at UGA, if he accepts the job. Gran paired with Coley as CO-OC maybe? It's still a solid hire if Coley walks, but that recruiting would be missed and that's why I guessed Coley to OC.

edited January 10

@101ina45 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

I have to push back a little on this. The dude won at KENTUCKY, the punching bag of the SEC East. Plus they did it with a suspect QB at that.

The team won, his passing attack was awful. They had a very good rb and a good defense.
    His passing attack was pretty good at Cincy, but not what I'd hope we'd strive for other than the 2014 season.

• Billybob101Billybob101 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only thing that matters is what the future Jimmys and Joes think. And we recruited So Fla fine before Coley got here, should he leave over this.

• OroValleyDawgOroValleyDawg Posts: 135 ✭✭✭ Junior

his qb at Kentucky was a transfer and extremely erratic. No where near Fromms ability

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bull68dawg said:
    Not casting shade on Kentucky but they recruit 2 and 3 stars and he had them in the top 10 at one point this year. Imagine what he could do with 4 and 5 stars. Could be a good hire for us

Pretty much my thoughts too...

• DubMentalityDubMentality Posts: 42 ✭✭✭ Junior

I love it if he comes on board. People speak well of Gran and his resume is very good.

On the other hand, we are hearing about offers to a new OC within 48 hours of losing Chaney. Still nothing on DC?

@bull68dawg said:
    Not casting shade on Kentucky but they recruit 2 and 3 stars and he had them in the top 10 at one point this year. Imagine what he could do with 4 and 5 stars. Could be a good hire for us

HE didn't have them top 10, he ran the offense, they had a terrible passing game. We don't need help running the ball, we have that covered.

edited January 10

@Georgiafan said:
    WC - Have you seen his resume?

Yes.
    In 3 years as Cincy's OC his QBs had
    25 tds - 11 ints
    28 tds - 16 ints
    33 tds - 12 ints
    Not bad, but not great at a lower level program. We're already more efficient passing than they were.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@bigdawg2223 said:

came to say almost this exact same thing

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@bull68dawg said:

HE didn't have them top 10, he ran the offense, they had a terrible passing game. We don't need help running the ball, we have that covered.

Partly because the passer was terrible.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@101ina45 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

The team won, his passing attack was awful. They had a very good rb and a good defense.
    His passing attack was pretty good at Cincy, but not what I'd hope we'd strive for other than the 2014 season.

I think this hire will check the box that Chaney never could for you. This guy is going to find the path of least resistance or at least play to his strengths. Now off I go to try and watch some film on this guy. Hopefully I can have more of an opinion afterwards

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@bull68dawg said:

Partly because the passer was terrible.

His best year in the passing game at Cincy wasn't as good as we had this season, and he had Gunner Keil and weak competition. His resume isn't bad, but I don't see what separates him from the pack and gives us something we don't already have.