About that Eddie Gran report ...

Chip_TowersChip_Towers Posts: 34 mod

My sources tell me it's not accurate and it doesn't make any sense to me, besides.

Then came this tweet from Gran himself a few minutes ago, which suggest he's remaining with the Kentucky Wildcats:

First of all, please know that, here at DawgNation, if there's a report anywhere we're going to let you know about it. That's why we have a team of breaking news reporters who's job it is to inform you if there's anything out there that bears our attention -- or yours. And, to be clear, Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio is somebody I consider a credible reporter. But I don't for a second believe Gran was offered the Georgia OC job and certainly not "total control of the offense and $1.1 million."

Here's a couple of things to think about. Agents put these things out in the universe all the time. I don't doubt there might've been some kind of contact or interaction between Georgia and Gran, but I don't believe the Bulldogs ever offered him the job. Secondly, let's think about this logically from Kirby Smart's perspective. So just a year ago, you thought James Coley being on your staff was important enough to move him from WRs to QBs and make him co-offensive coordinator. A year later, your real OC leaves (somewhat unexpectedly). Now you've got a guy who sat in the offensive room with Chaney every day and in the coaches' box for 14 games, and now you think the best idea is to go out and hire somebody else over him?

How would one expect James Coley to react to that? And it's not like he's an extremely risky hire where the job may be too big for him. Coley was OC and QB coach at Miami before UGA and FIU before that and lots of experience besides at FSU and LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.

My expectation is that Georgia will eventually announce Coley as the new OC soon or perhaps after national signing day. At this point I'd expect the same for Dan Lanning with or without Glenn Schumann as a co-DC. But Smart's not in a hurry to announce that. Again, something could happen with a Derrick Ansley, but Smart's probably trying to figure out if the only way to get him is to make him the DC or will be share the title or be OK with just being secondary coach.

As for why Gran wouldn't make sense, I'll offer just one word -- Schottenheimer. ... I'm not saying Gran would he a bad hire on the level of Schotty, but I would say it's a new coach with a new system. Bringing somebody in like that and dumping new terminology and concepts on an offense that has been quite successful doing things the previous way has the potential to be disastrous, just like the Schotty experiment was.

That is all.

Comments

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

TLDR

Lulz. Just messing with you Chip. Good post!

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Chip_Towers said:
    My sources tell me it's not accurate and it doesn't make any sense to me, besides.

Then came this tweet from Gran himself a few minutes ago, which suggest he's remaining with the Kentucky Wildcats:

First of all, please know that, here at DawgNation, if there's a report anywhere we're going to let you know about it. That's why we have a team of breaking news reporters who's job it is to inform you if there's anything out there that bears our attention -- or yours. And, to be clear, Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio is somebody I consider a credible reporter. But I don't for a second believe Gran was offered the Georgia OC job and certainly not "total control of the offense and $1.1 million."

Here's a couple of things to think about. Agents put these things out in the universe all the time. I don't doubt there might've been some kind of contact or interaction between Georgia and Gran, but I don't believe the Bulldogs ever offered him the job. Secondly, let's think about this logically from Kirby Smart's perspective. So just a year ago, you thought James Coley being on your staff was important enough to move him from WRs to QBs and make him co-offensive coordinator. A year later, your real OC leaves (somewhat unexpectedly). Now you've got a guy who sat in the offensive room with Chaney every day and in the coaches' box for 14 games, and now you think the best idea is to go out and hire somebody else over him?

How would one expect James Coley to react to that? And it's not like he's an extremely risky hire where the job may be too big for him. Coley was OC and QB coach at Miami before UGA and FIU before that and lots of experience besides at FSU and LSU and with the Miami Dolphins.

My expectation is that Georgia will eventually announce Coley as the new OC soon or perhaps after national signing day. At this point I'd expect the same for Dan Lanning with or without Glenn Schumann as a co-DC. But Smart's not in a hurry to announce that. Again, something could happen with a Derrick Ansley, but Smart's probably trying to figure out if the only way to get him is to make him the DC or will be share the title or be OK with just being secondary coach.

As for why Gran wouldn't make sense, I'll offer just one word -- Schottenheimer. ... I'm not saying Gran would he a bad hire on the level of Schotty, but I would say it's a new coach with a new system. Bringing somebody in like that and dumping new terminology and concepts on an offense that has been quite successful doing things the previous way has the potential to be disastrous, just like the Schotty experiment was.

That is all.

Thanks Chip....seemed bizarre to me, too.

• Dawg88Dawg88 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

What's the name of Gran's agent? I'm guessing he's Matt Jones's "source" on this. And Jones is a bit defensive on his twitter.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks yo. Finally a made man in dawgnation speaks

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Chip. Good stuff. (Although I have to flag you for unnecessary roughness on the Schotty comparison. Ouch.)

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Chip! These are fun times in the off season....which never seem to be "off".....

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Chip. Sounds like someone wanted to get a raise

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On another thread I said the same thing as Chip that it made no sense to offer Gran, given what Kirby had done for Coley last year.

• Jcannon8588Jcannon8588 Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Let me ask you this chip I have heard of major applewhite name being brought up more than once but think that will be a longshot considering he would be more interested in a head coach job my thought is if anyway possible I think it would be a great hire what about you chip if we got him to be the oc but I'm fine with Coley and I'm sure alot of us in dawgnation feel the same

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Gran was going to be the OC and a position coach, most of his career was running backs (Dell) with the exception of a couple years he coached receivers. Seemed an odd fit.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:
    On another thread I said the same thing as Chip that it made no sense to offer Gran, given what Kirby had done for Coley last year.

I said the same things. Hey Chip you still trust Matt's word??

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Chip_Towers said:

That is all.

Thank you for the clarification Chip.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Chip. Nothing against Jones but wasn't he the kinda loud guy that Finebaum had on a lot when Kentucky was doing well?

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Chipper. Chipper. Chipper. Once again a dollar short and a day late. Read that, or heard that 6 hours before you chimed in. Please go away.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 10

@ugaforever said:
    Chipper. Chipper. Chipper. Once again a dollar short and a day late. Read that, or heard that 6 hours before you chimed in. Please go away.

Dang, can I come sit at the cool table?

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah its Coley as OC for 3 or 4 years and then he's probably a HC somewhere else. We have to maximize our last 2 years with Fromm and to do that u just gotta give Coley the job and I think he'll b great.

• thegreatwhite1thegreatwhite1 Posts: 14 ✭✭ Sophomore

Give it to Coley. If he’s good enough to be Jimbo’s OC at A&M, he’s **** sure good enough to be ours.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How would this homer KNOW Gran was offered? Was he on the phone? No. Probably talked to an agent as Chip suggested.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugaforever said:

****. I don’t agree with this bs at all

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If promoting from within and Coley taking the OC position, who would be a potential TE coach hire?

• JTMoyniJTMoyni Posts: 40 ✭ Freshman

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    If promoting from within and Coley taking the OC position, who would be a potential TE coach hire?

Todd Hartley is available

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

Thank goodness. You dont give the Ferrari keys to someone who is used to driving a Volkswagon. Nothing against Volkswagon, but our offense is so much more powerful and potent than Kentucky's will ever be.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean after CKS kept Coley from going to A&M it would only seem logical for him to be the obvious choice. Not just because he's got OC experience, but he's been in the booth with chilli fries and saw the a s s chewing KS laid on him. He knows what our bread and butter is, but has the acumen to also bring more aggressiveness and MAKE ADJUSTMENTS. Plus after Pittman, he's arguably our best recruiter. IMO he'll be the OC as long as he wants to be.

Besides Zeus, I guarantee we see Bush, Robertson, Jackson, Blaylock and Landers have breakout seasons. And Holloman will probably put up yardage numbers we haven't seen from a DAWG wr in a LONG time. We lost ALOT of offense with Mecole, Ridley, Nauta, Godwin, and Holyfield. But even with those losses, with our o line, veteran qb and a back like Zeus to go along with Swift; I guarantee the threat we will pose each week offensively will not drop A BIT.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RetiredRedcoat said:

@AnotherDawg said:
    unnecessary roughness on the Schotty comparison

Pick that flag up. Nothing is too rough for that period in UGA history

Yeah, I guess my meaning didn't come through clearly. I was trying to make the point, with a little humor, that Schottenheimer was such an unmitigated disaster it seems cruel and unfair to compare anyone else to him, in any way. Hence, Gran was on the receiving end of unnecessary roughness.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like Gran’s agent earned his pay.

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Someone (sorry, forgot who) actually bulleted some good points about Gran that made me rethink my initial, negative reaction. Then I read Chip's thoughts and I return to my thinking that continuity is the key to continue building toward NC's. I'm starting to feel seasick.