Dabo Swinney and his comments

ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its becoming really hard for me to dislike this guy. Lol. Today he spoke to Stephen A. Smith and was just... nice.

Dabo spoke highly of Kirby and said he's on the right path. To which Dabo pointed out his path was similar but Clemson stayed with him. (Remember he started rough then 2012 was on fire but had a set back next year losing to UGA and FSU). But it allowed him to get guys who brought all in on his ideals.

Now this next part got me to smile. He said when he goes into a recruits home and they are talking about early playing time he ask them. Where you better as a freshman or this year as a senior. He says he always gets the same answer. So he said, "In these transfer situations I tell guys I understand but you got guys that've come in before you working and doing as well I cant ignore them. Yeah Stephen there are situations where a guy is better like Lawrence this year or Watkins in the past but most of the time its a rarity." That was in response to Stephen asking about the Lawrence, Tua, and Fields situations.... He later went on to say that if a guy has lost his spot to an underclassman he doesnt blame the kid if they are working their butts off he blames the staff for their evaluations and not finding a way to get the kid on the field but will honor their scholarships.

I thought everything was pretty cool from him. He said he understands SEC football needs to recruit heavy vs ACC football as well.

Comments

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You won't find many coaches more classy than Dabo, and I imagine he'd be pretty fun to play for as well. It's rare to find coaches nowadays who win at that level on the field but have so much character as well (unless you think Saban and Belichick have as much character as Dabo lol). I'm not a Clemson fan, but I find it very difficult to cheer against CDS.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I live in the Upstate (SC). People here revere Dabo like they did Erk in Athens and Statesboro.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have a lot of respect for Dabo!!!

• 21oz21oz Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 10

There is no doubt he is a high quality man, but he still makes me want to v.omit. If he makes it to the next level of
    “ golly gee “ he may end up the next Gomer Pyle.

• DAWGburnDAWGburn Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophomore

Dabo gave the eulogy at a friends funeral I attended a few years ago and it was fantastic. Some people around here seem to think that he is fake but I believe he’s just a genuine good dude. I know a few of his former/current players and I’ve never heard a bad thing about the dude from people who actually know him.

• dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

Sounds like a class act, but when I lived in Greenville, SC, the only folks that honked at me intimidatingly as I rode my bicycle legally on the street had Clemson or Tennessee stickers on their trucks (it was ALWAYS trucks). I HATE orange.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is a class act and a good Christian guy. Hard to not wanna play your tail off for someone that's such a good human being. With that said however, I hate CU, the color orange and the fact that alot of the things around the program looks like a McDonald's playhouse. Maybe it's the DAWG in me but I REALLY just can't see any kid that grows up in Georgia with what Kirby's doing in Athens, and NOT coming to be a DAWG if they're offered by us. It's because we missed on him but besides that, sunshine Lawrence just REALLY rubs me the wrong way more and more. Nothing he's done; just don't care for him turning down being the guy in Athens. Hope we get to beat that a s s soon!

• finesse92finesse92 Posts: 71 ✭✭ Sophomore

@Thelordjohnson said:
    Its becoming really hard for me to dislike this guy. Lol. Today he spoke to Stephen A. Smith and was just... nice.

Dabo spoke highly of Kirby and said he's on the right path. To which Dabo pointed out his path was similar but Clemson stayed with him. (Remember he started rough then 2012 was on fire but had a set back next year losing to UGA and FSU). But it allowed him to get guys who brought all in on his ideals.

Now this next part got me to smile. He said when he goes into a recruits home and they are talking about early playing time he ask them. Where you better as a freshman or this year as a senior. He says he always gets the same answer. So he said, "In these transfer situations I tell guys I understand but you got guys that've come in before you working and doing as well I cant ignore them. Yeah Stephen there are situations where a guy is better like Lawrence this year or Watkins in the past but most of the time its a rarity." That was in response to Stephen asking about the Lawrence, Tua, and Fields situations.... He later went on to say that if a guy has lost his spot to an underclassman he doesnt blame the kid if they are working their butts off he blames the staff for their evaluations and not finding a way to get the kid on the field but will honor their scholarships.

I thought everything was pretty cool from him. He said he understands SEC football needs to recruit heavy vs ACC football as well.

I remember that game cause it was the last game I went to with my grandpa before he passed and we lost that game. It was close the whole game but we ended up actually losing by a field goal they made in the 3rd quarter. I do agree with you about Dabo though, he actually seems like a great person and he’s so genuine about it to where it makes it hard to really dislike him

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgdude65 said:
    I agree. I heard his interview after the championship game and he knows God put him in that position and is the reason for his success. I have heard interviews in the past where he talks about Christ being the center of his life and thanks Him for all things.

I really don't think God plays favorites in who wins football games. I do respect Dabo's devotion to his faith though.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawgdude65 said:
    I agree. I heard his interview after the championship game and he knows God put him in that position and is the reason for his success. I have heard interviews in the past where he talks about Christ being the center of his life and thanks Him for all things.

I really don't think God plays favorites in who wins football games. I do respect Dabo's devotion to his faith though.

Do you not remember the prayer at Jordan Hare?

• dawgindawgin Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

Guy is overrated. He just doesn’t feel like Saban or Meyer level. He is basically Richt with good coordinators.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 517 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgin said:
    Guy is overrated. He just doesn’t feel like Saban or Meyer level. He is basically Richt with good coordinators.

That is pretty ridiculous. A good coach gets good coordinators for starters. Dabo has won two Nattys with lesser recruiting classes than most top teams. He has actually coached up kids we have passed on. He has gotten 5* play from walk ons. He has built a program that kids come back to play their senior year because they are excited to play for a chance at Natty. He has built a team every year where leadership is strong and can win with a true Freshman who he had to make a callon this year over his veteran QB who got them to the playoff last year. Definition of great coach. And.. I hate it. Not looking forward to Georgia not only having to go through Bama, but Clemson as well maybe to get a Natty.

• shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 205 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dabo gets more from less. Look at Clemson's recruiting ranking over the last 10 years, I think they average around 12th or so. He/Clemson do business the polar opposite from what bammer and UGA does in my opinion in regards to recruitment and overall team message. Someone on here posted a stat that Dabo has only lost 3 coaches in 10 years...that's a huge advantage if complacency doesn't creep in, which obviously it hasn't. It's a great story to listen to how he was promoted to head coach, hopefully Kirby has the same or better success.

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is a great guy, big fan of his.

And there are some fantastic articles on him that came out when they were getting ready to play for the first championship. His upbringing, his time in college, stories about his mom having to live with him in his dorm, etc

He is a worker and a guy with great perspective on life. I don't think there is anything fake about his approach or his faith.

Does he have some salesman in him, with how he portrays Clemson as little brother? Sure. But what successful coach does not have some salesman in them?

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The man is full of bull!!! He openly stated that he didn't believe players should get paid but he wants to b able to use them to enrich himself and his family. Sound familiar to anybody?

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    The man is full of bull!!! He openly stated that he didn't believe players should get paid but he wants to b able to use them to enrich himself and his family. Sound familiar to anybody?

Do you know his reasons for his stance against paying players? You could at least check that out. Last I checked, it was still ok to want to make money and support one's family.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 178 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dawgdude65 said:

Yes he's kind of a Mark Richt with some charisma.... O and he wins big games. Guess not really CMR at all.

• ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am a Big Dabo fan. No way you can dislike him. I'd want my children to play for him anyday.

They wont get paid if Dabo has anything to say about it. Betcha he makes sure his kids get paid. Helluva con man this Dabo.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    They wont get paid if Dabo has anything to say about it. Betcha he makes sure his kids get paid. Helluva con man this Dabo.

I mean there isnt a single coach that wants this (minus guys paying under the table). But you do realize 3 of the P5 conferences pay their players some money last I checked (SEC included).

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dabo Sweeney is both a good guy, & at the same time he’s also an adversary. Being as the Clemson campus is just as close to Georgia (75 miles away) as Georgia Tech is (also 75 miles away), that makes them a problem to battle Georgia head to head in recruiting every and every year. Last year, Clemson coming into Georgia and poaching away QB Trevor Lawrence, and again this year with them poaching away CB Andrew Booth. Those are only two recent examples. Clemson is going to always be a problem to deal with, along with “Mister Nice Guy” Dabo Sweeney.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgdude65 said:

Do you not remember the prayer at Jordan Hare?

Good one.

Then he has the nerve to reference Christ for crying out loud. 😂😂😂😂 Man there's is no way Christ would allow anyone to work for him for free, much less come out of his mouth and say that thats the way it SHOULD b. 😂😂😂😂😂 The man has the Nerve to USE Christ in the same way he would a walk on WR or a 5 star QB. No real fear of God in this man IMHO. Christ. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 Stop it man! You're killing me!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MeR3htid said:
    Then he has the nerve to reference Christ for crying out loud. 😂😂😂😂 Man there's is no way Christ would allow anyone to work for him for free, much less come out of his mouth and say that thats the way it SHOULD b. 😂😂😂😂😂 The man has the Nerve to USE Christ in the same way he would a walk on WR or a 5 star QB. No real fear of God in this man IMHO. Christ. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 Stop it man! You're killing me!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂

Did you mean to post this on Instagram?

You know what though, believe it or not I love Dabo the Football coach who rose to fame by #1 Being blessed to b a great leader which he is, and #2 For taking advantage of his God given gifts to b a highly successful coach and building a Dynasty right up the road at Clemson, a team I feared growing up during the Vince, Larry Munson, Erk Russell days. I mean it makes CFB so much more exciting to me being from Georgia. Always admired Clemson. Danny Ford. Loved him to death. But what I dont like is people using Christ, God, Allah or whatever u call him to con ignorant Southern Baby Mamas into thinking that he's some kind of Saint just so that he can get access to their son. I dont know Kirbys religion and its nonna my business, but I would venture to guess that hes Southern Baptist (And a real one) that would b afraid to try to con people with religion. Ditto for the truly Saintly Mark Richt. He talked the talk as a Christian and in my eyes at least he walked the walk even better so Kudos to him. But Dabo? A real honest to goodness Christian? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 No my friend. The real ones really fear God. 😎😎😎

@MacDawg15 said:
    He is a class act and a good Christian guy. Hard to not wanna play your tail off for someone that's such a good human being. With that said however, I hate CU, the color orange and the fact that alot of the things around the program looks like a McDonald's playhouse. Maybe it's the DAWG in me but I REALLY just can't see any kid that grows up in Georgia with what Kirby's doing in Athens, and NOT coming to be a DAWG if they're offered by us. It's because we missed on him but besides that, sunshine Lawrence just REALLY rubs me the wrong way more and more. Nothing he's done; just don't care for him turning down being the guy in Athens. Hope we get to beat that a s s soon!

A dv for wanting to harass the best player on the team that just won the natty? Um k. Fwiw I PRAY the Falcons trade up or do anything necessary to get him.

@shhmitty said:
    Dabo gets more from less. Look at Clemson's recruiting ranking over the last 10 years, I think they average around 12th or so. He/Clemson do business the polar opposite from what bammer and UGA does in my opinion in regards to recruitment and overall team message. Someone on here posted a stat that Dabo has only lost 3 coaches in 10 years...that's a huge advantage if complacency doesn't creep in, which obviously it hasn't. It's a great story to listen to how he was promoted to head coach, hopefully Kirby has the same or better success.

His recruiting rankings can be misleading. He gets his share of studs. It's just that the last 4 years in particular have been smaller classes in number. Almost never signs 25. Imo one of the things that makes him successful as he's been is the way he gets the point across to his team and potential recruits. He knows everybody wants to play asap. But he has a way of letting them know it will be in their best interest to come and develop and not leave before your ready to be the best pro possible. That's why he has so many upperclassmen and guys that come back for senior years. And naturally a team that's basically had the same guys lead for multiple years makes them a very cohesive team. I don't like any team not from Athens, but I respect what he's done.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:

What's your deal with Dabo?