If Fields hadn't came...

corai3corai3 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know I know it's another JF thread..If this isn't your cup of tea please move along. I was just thinking this morning what would this season have looked like if Fields never came to UGA. Bennett probably would've stayed and I'm sure Kirby would've had a replacement QB recruited. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My only thoughts Corai bro is I wish he never came after all this drama

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:
    I know I know it's another JF thread..If this isn't your cup of tea please move along. I was just thinking this morning what would this season have looked like if Fields never came to UGA. Bennett probably would've stayed and I'm sure Kirby would've had a replacement QB recruited. Thoughts anyone?

I think you are likely correct. We wouldn't have been any worse off, unless of course, QB2's presence pushed QB1 to improve more than he would otherwise have. Iron sharpening iron?

• chinadawgchinadawg Posts: 25 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 11

@donm said:

I think you are likely correct. We wouldn't have been any worse off, unless of course, QB2's presence pushed QB1 to improve more than he would otherwise have. Iron sharpening iron?

Or did the juggling of QBs contribute to the LSU loss? Would the Dawgs have been undefeated going into the SEC title game, and with the close loss still made the playoffs? Apparently it would have only led to a dismantling by Clemson, but still.

*Not saying Fields cost us the LSU game, but more to how the coaches handled QB playing and practice time.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@chinadawg said:

@donm said:

Or did the juggling of QBs contribute to the LSU loss? Would the Dawgs have been undefeated going into the SEC title game, and with the close loss still made the playoffs? Apparently it would have only led to a dismantling by Clemson, but still.

*Not saying Fields cost us the LSU game, but more to how the coaches handled QB playing and practice time.

We played so bad in that game, I can't imagine the juggling of QBs would have been the difference maker.

• darklangodarklango Posts: 30 ✭ Freshman

Its ridiculous to put any blame on Fields. He was not the leader of this team. Just a kid that wasn't happy with his future path.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 137 ✭✭ Sophomore

Always recruit starters /5's .... not back up/3's.
    Rather have 4's and 5's playing on Saturday's and occasionally loose one than have 2's and 3's playing.

• SupaMan_StupSupaMan_Stup Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 11

@corai3 said:

To answer your question I believe we would've either gotten Fields or Matt Corral (4th Rated Pro-Style QB out of Cali who de-commited from the Gators and ended up signing with Ole Miss). The negative impact it would've had on our recruiting class if Fields had not committed is almost impossible to tell unfortunately. I would love to think that these kids "Commit to the G" and not Commit to JF, but we all know that's not how it always works.

So our QB room would've most likely looked like Fromm, Bennett, & Corral.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Team wouldnt be nearly as talented without Fields, imo.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Herschel_Talker said:

@corai3 said:

Fields was huge catalyst for our flurry finish to the 2018 recruiting class. It is really hard to determine if it was a net gain or loss, with so many moving parts because of his influence. And honestly, still some possible fallout. I'm going with net gain though.

Salyer, Bush, T. Walker, O. Reese, N. Smith, are top of mind. No matter how it ended, or how Dawgnation feels about the kid, he made a impact on these other kids selecting UGA. Definitely a net positive imo.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Herschel_Talker said:

@corai3 said:

Fields was huge catalyst for our flurry finish to the 2018 recruiting class. It is really hard to determine if it was a net gain or loss, with so many moving parts because of his influence. And honestly, still some possible fallout. I'm going with net gain though.

Salyer, Bush, T. Walker, O. Reese, N. Smith, are top of mind. No matter how it ended, or how Dawgnation feels about the kid, he made a impact on these other kids selecting UGA. Definitely a net positive imo.

I agree with the thought that having Fields in Athens helped us gain several commits. So now I guess the next question is: Was it worth the drama? If it produces a national championship during the 2018 recruiting classes tenure, then I'd say emphatically yes. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

Also I think come is the proper tense I should've used in the title thread. Any English teachers care to elaborate? lol

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@darklango said:
    Its ridiculous to put any blame on Fields. He was not the leader of this team. Just a kid that wasn't happy with his future path.

He knew what he was getting into though. Thanks for helping influence the future stars of Georgia into coming here, JF. We appreciate the parting gifts.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 11

@corai3 said:
    I know I know it's another JF thread..If this isn't your cup of tea please move along. I was just thinking this morning what would this season have looked like if Fields never came to UGA. Bennett probably would've stayed and I'm sure Kirby would've had a replacement QB recruited. Thoughts

I tell my wife all the time. That’s what you get for thinking.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@corai3 said:

@SoFL_Dawg said:

@Herschel_Talker said:

@corai3 said:

I agree with the thought that having Fields in Athens helped us gain several commits. So now I guess the next question is: Was it worth the drama? If it produces a national championship during the 2018 recruiting classes tenure, then I'd say emphatically yes. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

Honestly that’s subjective I guess, but it’s hard for me to look at that list above (there are more names than that) and feel any different. It was absolutely worth it.

• Dawg19Dawg19 Posts: 289 ✭✭✭ Junior

@corai3 said:
    Also I think come is the proper tense I should've used in the title thread. Any English teachers care to elaborate? lol

I think it should be *cum

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg19 said:

@corai3 said:

I think it should be *cum

add that to the list of verboten words.