I wouldnt be against

AtlDawgAtlDawg Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Derrick dooley. Before you get mad watch some tape of his offense at mizzou this year. Runs the ball, throws deep, and throws to tight ends.... just saying. Their offense was rated 13th.... ours was 18th

Comments

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will see, but I think UGA HC Kirby Smart has a prospective coaches candidate "list"... I wonder if Derrick Dooley is even on it??? PS- GO DAWGS!!!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have taken the leap from Top-Level team to Elite-Level team the last two years. I am very confident we will land a best-of-the-best kind of OC and DC. Not sure DD is in that category.

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

It will be Coley for OC.....

• joeyww12000joeyww12000 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

It doesn’t make sense after reading, that Coley doesn’t get the job.

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

@AtlDawg said:
    Derrick dooley. Before you get mad watch some tape of his offense at mizzou this year. Runs the ball, throws deep, and throws to tight ends.... just saying. Their offense was rated 13th.... ours was 18th

I think it's going to be Coley too, but I'm right there with you. I like Dooley. I think people's negative impression comes from him being a dud HC at UTjr.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SquillDawg said:

@AtlDawg said:

I think it's going to be Coley too, but I'm right there with you. I like Dooley. I think people's negative impression comes from him being a dud HC at UTjr.

He seems to have paid attention while he was in Dallas.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drew Lock and the Mizzu offense regressed a bit under Dooley with pretty much the same personnel as last season with more experience. Lock went from 44 Tds - 13 ints, a 165.7 rating and 9.5 ypa last season to 28 tds - 8 ints a 147.7 rating and 8.0 ypa this season.

• bhs11bhs11 Posts: 45 ✭ Freshman

He would be a great hire!

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He is friends with CKS, and there’s the obvious UGA connection that would make him more loyal and willing to share with Coley. However, he (or Coley or anyone else) will be revealed as “elite” until they are here. It’s the rub with hiring anyone for any job. I don’t know what kind of recruiter he is though, and he has bounced around.

@WCDawg said:
    Drew Lock and the Mizzu offense regressed a bit under Dooley with pretty much the same personnel as last season with more experience. Lock went from 44 Tds - 13 ints, a 165.7 rating and 9.5 ypa last season to 28 tds - 8 ints a 147.7 rating and 8.0 ypa this season.

And their total offense was the same. Plus they reduced turnovers, a way more important stat than QB rating.

@SquillDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

And their total offense was the same. Plus they reduced turnovers, a way more important stat than QB rating.

The offense was ranked 11th in 2017 and 2018, but total yards and scoring were both down a bit.

The offense was ranked 11th in 2017 and 2018, but total yards and scoring were both down a bit.

Total yards were down by 2 yards, so I guess you're right. He's terrible.

Sarcasm aside, who do you prefer for OC?

edited January 11

@SquillDawg said:

Total yards were down by 2 yards, so I guess you're right. He's terrible.

Sarcasm aside, who do you prefer for OC?

Actually Missouri's total yards are down 260 on the season, 20 per game, but who's counting ?
    That isn't a lot, but given the same skill players had more experience, it's something.
    As for who I'd want as OC, it depends on who is in the field. Probably The Rams' Sean McVay or Shanahan if I could chose anybody. I'll qualify it more, those would be long term. Given we want to avoid learning all new terminology I'd have to discuss the job and determine that my choice could integrate their ideas with our current offensive system.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

They did score more rushing TDs this year (27 vs 16) and had more rushing attempts as well (553 vs 486).

Regardless, I tend to agree with Chip- Coley makes the most sense from a scheme and continuity perspective.

edited January 11

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@WCDawg said:

They did score more rushing TDs this year (27 vs 16) and had more rushing attempts as well (553 vs 486).

Regardless, I tend to agree with Chip- Coley makes the most sense from a scheme and continuity perspective.

True, but they had all their top backs returned from 2017.
    I don't see Dooley in a negative light, but I'd look for somebody who has gone into situations and improved them dramatically with similar personnel to the coach they replaced. What McVay did for The Rams is a prime example.
    He took over an offense that was dead last ( 32nd) in both yardage and scoring. His first season they moved up to 10th, their 2nd season they are 2nd in both yardage and scoring. They also do the things I'd like us to incorporate to improve production in the passing game by getting easy completions.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@LowcountryDawg21 said:

@WCDawg said:

I agree Coley makes sense. If it were that simple though why not go ahead and announce it?

I agree Coley makes sense. If it were that simple though why not go ahead and announce it?

You were saying...lol

edited January 11

Once again, Georgia HC Kirby Smart has done the right thing. Promoting Co-offensive coordinator James Coley to THE offensive coordinator. That makes the most (the only?) sense going forward with what Georgia already has in place. GO DAWGS!!!

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 11

I want to hear what Coley's plans are for goal line situations...

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:
    I want to hear what Coley's plans are for goal line situations...

Yeah. And he should outline his trick plays for the kicking and punting teams. Diagrams and some videos, please. Telestrator!

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:

Once again, Georgia HC Kirby Smart has done the right thing. Promoting Co-offensive coordinator James Coley to THE offensive coordinator. That makes the most (the only?) sense going forward with what Georgia already has in place. GO DAWGS!!!

We're going to block the weakside DE on our goal line plays.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm late to the party, but I like Dooley. Did when he was at TN although that didnt go very well

@christopherules said:

I think Kirby botched it when he shuffled coaches' responsibilities and titles to keep Coley and when he juggled QBs, but I'll wait and see on this move.

I do think we need a strong hire with the open offensive assistant position to strengthen the offensive staff.

edited January 11

@WCDawg He’s also learning too. He just completed only just his 3rd season as a first ever time head coach. Didn’t Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Dani Sweeney, & still others too all have multiple stops at various other schools prior to their success stories even ever getting started? I believe that he’s either on pace, or very close to any of the other modern day “Great” college football coaches at this stage (year #3) in their respective careers. As for Kirby Smart? I’m still a believer that his overall trend is still going up, up, and UP!!!