Larry

LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

I just sat and talked with a co-worker for about 30 minutes about that Grizzly Ol' Summ-a-b#$ch and some of our favorite calls. You know he would love him some Kirby while sweatin' the pre-game weather report and the other team's Kickers.

Comments

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Every once in a while I go back and listen to some calls, it is one of the great pick me ups for me. I also read the RIP that Joe Posnanski wrote and tear up a little.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Those are the biggest Kickers I've ever seen. Man...they can kick it a mile. I doubt there is any air left in that ball. Going to be a long day for our special teams......"

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@TNDawg71 said:
    Every once in a while I go back and listen to some calls, it is one of the great pick me ups for me. I also read the RIP that Joe Posnanski wrote and tear up a little.

http://joeposnanski.com/rip-larry-munson/

• DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

GO DAWGS!

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hunker down

• deplorabledawgdeplorabledawg Posts: 12 ✭ Freshman

"GET THE PICTURE...………."

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Whatdoyougotloren

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 97 ✭✭✭ Junior

Very cool Jeff! I don’t recall what Larry said exactly when Herschel TRUCKED Bates. Was it something like “My God and he’s only a Freshman!” Anybody remember??

• skidmarksskidmarks Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

Raising a glass of John Daniels to Larry and Joe for that article

• orlandoorlando Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 12

Oh you Herschel Walker God all mighty he ran over two men

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 257 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 12

Great post.this is what Dawgnation is about.

Yes it is.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bout 1985 moved across the Country away from Athens. Pre Internet and no media interest in even local college sports. Only the pros. My buddy's mom sent me scratchy cassette recordings off the radio. Great to hear Larry announce even against the cup cakes.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Munson holds a special place in the hearts of us old Dawgs. I came remember shooting Doves in South Georgia and somebody or several somebodies would have Munson blaring across the dove field on their truck radio. .

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 12

My favorite Munson call is “Now there’s no sense in going away because YOU KNOW it’s not gonna end like this!”
    I think this was from the 1978 Tech game when the Jackets opened with an onside kick and took a 20-0 lead before Belue came in as a freshman backup QB and led a 29-28 comeback (script sound familiar?)
    PS - I was in the stands at Auburn in 1982 so I didn’t hear “look at the sugar falling from the sky” until later when it became a highlight

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

@TuckyDawg said:
    Munson holds a special place in the hearts of us old Dawgs. I came remember shooting Doves in South Georgia and somebody or several somebodies would have Munson blaring across the dove field on their truck radio. .

I was shooting doves in Elbert County in August 1980. The landlady was excite and cooked them up real good and served wine. Invited the other renter. I had to excuse myself early being borderline rude. Went to my attic/room glued to the radio to hear 'Oh you Hershel Walker you!'. Dogs come from behind to win the Natty. Former walk on Nate Taylor a big part of that game.

• LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Ol' lady luck just laughed out loud...
    Another Larry go-to. Great article linked as well, good-****-times.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LincolnParkDawg said:
    Very cool Jeff! I don’t recall what Larry said exactly when Herschel TRUCKED Bates. Was it something like “My God and he’s only a Freshman!” Anybody remember??

We hand it off to Herschel, and there's a hole! Five, 10, 12, He's running over people! Oh, you Herschel Walker! My God Almighty, he ran right through two men! Herschel ran right over 2 men! They had him dead away inside the 9! Herschel Walker went 16 yards! He drove right over orange shirts just driving and running with those big thighs! My God....A freshman!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Was in Knoxville for the “ hob nail boot “ call but didn’t hear it until later that night. If you wasn’t there that’s as close as you could be and that’s what I loved about Larry.

• ChopperChopper Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I was in 5th grade I was a junior reporter at a kids newspaper in ATL. Part of that program was doing some radio stuff at WSB. While I was at their station with my mom and my little sister editing a tape, my sister (5 years old at the time) sat down at a random open desk and ate a snack. Up walks Larry Munson to that (his) desk between sports updates on AM 750. My mom said "get up", but Larry told her to keep her seat as he grabbed a few things out of the drawers. Cordially he asked my sister how she was doing to which she said she was tired and hungry, which he laughed at and said "me too" as he headed back into the studio. Nothing but class....

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is a GREAT THREAD! So many memories of those times fill my head, and my heart too.

• DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

DANG RIGHT GOOD THREAD! GO DAWGS

• moosmoos Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was always the little quips that made me really like him rather than the famous lines.

In the middle of low scoring games, he'd come out with lines like, "...and they're pulling men off the pile. Red jersey, white jersey, blue button down..."

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JeffSentell Thanks for moving this thread out of the "Off Topic" portal and placing here in the Football talk. Much rather read this than 16 threads on certain players or recruits......

And I'll add too, that there were many a time in dove field or coming out of a deer stand that I would sit in a car or truck and listen to Munson call the game. Made for wonderful Saturday afternoons that I'll always remember. I'm going to go have a little toast to Uncle Larry right now. DGD ALWAYS!

I totally agree. Larry was such a one-of-a-kind! There were more than a few times I had some things that had to get done on the outside of the house on Saturdays. I had the game on the radio and I actually loved listening to Larry and didn’t miss “seeing” the game. He had an amazing amount of passion and emotion that he delivered. Very memorable!