COLEY IT IS!!!

jtdawg2020jtdawg2020 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let’s Goooo

Comments

• Dawg88Dawg88 Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Go Dawgs!

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank goodness is isn't the other guy in the photo...not even sure who that is, but this is a call I can get behind.

• bull68dawgbull68dawg Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Only time will tell but I will reserve my judgment.

• Bulldawgfan0389Bulldawgfan0389 Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Im not downing Coley cause this was expected once chaney left in the first place, but definitely not a SEXY HIRE, so to speak. Am i wrong for thinking that?

• LongGoneDawgLongGoneDawg Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

Will he continue to coach QBs?

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@cory430 said:

@AgDawg said:
    Not a bad hire, but not one that excites me. Of course neither did the Chaney hire either and that turned out fine. It's certainly encouraging that Jimbo went after him for TAMU OC, even if he would have been running Jimbo's system

Jimbo must have been happy with him from their days at FSU. That says something.

My thoughts exactly

• corai3corai3 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭ Junior

What type of offense should I be looking for? Any tendencies he likes to do? I'm assuming Pro style since that's what Georgia does.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Feel like the announcement would have been after final signing day because it isn’t too flashy, but the UK games forced CKS’s hand to go ahead and announce.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 11

Coley is Beast recruiter and he opens it up a little more than Chaney. We will improve under him

I seem to be hitting a wall, trying to find out what offesnes under Coley have ranked and how he's faired as OC. Any advice how i can find this information.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:
    I seem to be hitting a wall, trying to find out what offesnes under Coley have ranked and how he's faired as OC. Any advice how i can find this information.

Make sure to add context to your evaluation of him. team's record before his arrival, maturity level of team (seniors/juniors vs frosh/sophs, and things such as that. What level of QB did he have at those stops, levels of RB, WR. All of that could impact his final #'s.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:
    Im not downing Coley cause this was expected once chaney left in the first place, but definitely not a SEXY HIRE, so to speak. Am i wrong for thinking that?

What would be a sexy hire in your opinion? Is that important and do "sexy" hires contribute to more victories?

• RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is great in many ways, it rewards Coley and ensures he sticks around longer at UGA. However with success we can expect him to be taken from us to be a HC somewhere in the coming year/s. And if he isn't successful we will be faced with losing him also.... On the bright side if we get a natty or few before he departs, I think it will become easier to recruit so it may counter balance the loss of our ACE recruiter when that day comes. Get it while the irons hot!!!

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:

What would be a sexy hire in your opinion? Is that important and do "sexy" hires contribute to more victories?

Again im not saying its a bad hire by any means because I like Coley, just not sure how i feel about OC. Then again im not head coach, So im trusting in Coach smart. I guess if i had to think "Sexy Hire", like Dan Enos or someone like that.. Something that i guess makes you say "DANG, i cant believe we got this guy! his offenses have been amazing". Like i said I may be off base or even misguided in that though but Im not saying hes going to be bad. Its mostly because I dont know much about his OC Experiences and how he's faired i guess.

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:

You are very wrong with that type of thinking. Its a great hire

edited January 11

@MyKeithbb09 said:

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:

You are very wrong with that type of thinking. Its a great hire

Thats fine for thinking that, its why i asked. Enlighten me because im not too familiar with his Experiences as an offensive play caller. Put it in perspective for me. Its why im asking. Not for sake of being told im wrong. LOL

• Dawgy_FreshDawgy_Fresh Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 11

How is the co OC position worked? Is it just a way to be able to pay a coach more or are two people trying to play call I the booth? Idk how there wouldn’t be contention with two people trying to call plays together.

I hope Coley doesn’t have someone to share the OC duties unless it’s just a formality thing for a pay raise.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

Thank goodness is isn't the other guy in the photo...not even sure who that is, but this is a call I can get behind.

Scott Sinclair?

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I would have felt better if Coley was the OC and someone else was calling the plays. This one worries me. I trust Kirby to make the right decision though. I hope our offense is a strength next year.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Once again, Georgia HC Kirby Smart has done the right thing for Georgia. Promoting Co-offensive coordinator James Coley to THE ONLY offensive coordinator. That makes the most (Perhaps the only?) sense going forward with what Georgia already has built, and has already in place. GO DAWGS!!!

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think this hire is beneficial in a few ways. A great recruiter with ties to S. Fl stays on the staff. How pissed would he have been if, after being named the co-OC, someone else was hired over him. He knows the offense and can make minor tweaks to suit his style. A new OC could have been an issue if the guys had to learn a new playbook/offensive philosophy. Those situations sometimes lead to a wasted season until guys get comfortable and learn.

Now maybe Kirby can make the "splash" hire to fill the position coach void.

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

Keeping Coley also means the pipeline to South Florida recruits remains intact.

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 53 ✭✭ Sophomore

@donm said:

@Bulldawgfan0389 said:

Make sure to add context to your evaluation of him. team's record before his arrival, maturity level of team (seniors/juniors vs frosh/sophs, and things such as that. What level of QB did he have at those stops, levels of RB, WR. All of that could impact his final #'s.

Good point... when Coley was at Miami he had far inferior talent to what he has now.

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Keep continuity on the offense.

But hopefully introduces better/less predictable play calling.

• SwimDawgSwimDawg Posts: 24 ✭✭ Sophomore

Provide some continuity with offense. Keep recruiting pipeline to S. FL in tact. Hopefully with him calling the plays by himself we’ll see some additional creativity especially in short yardage situations. Overall, like the move.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@oddsbodkin said:
    Keep continuity on the offense.

But hopefully introduces better/less predictable play calling.

I think it comes down to adjustments and player abilities to make plays.