Comments

• Tdawg247Tdawg247 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I think you’re right

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Terribly lazy hire

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:
    Terribly lazy hire

Agreed. Coley isn't a great OC, but he's a great recruiter and I think that has something to do with the promotion.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    Terribly lazy hire

Seems like the hire was made last year after the flirtation with Jumbo at A&M. Was just announced today.

I completely agree. It also explains why he put Coley in the booth. All season I was calling for Coley to be on the sideline to calm and reassure Fromm and Fields when things weren't going well offensively. Now we know what that didn't take place.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 11

This 👆 continuity . Coley is a beast . Did wonders for Miami with a sub par roster and sanctions. Who here thinks he’ll be at least better than Chaney ..??? I certainly do. That’s all I wanted were right there anyway

• donmdonm Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@Kasey said:
    It’s lazy, but I prefer continuity over making a splash. We all remember when Schottenheimer came in and changed everything

Can someone please explain why this is a lazy hire? Should all internal promotions be viewed as "lazy"? Bizarre.

It may be a lazy hire, but it certainly wasn't rushed.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    It’s lazy, but I prefer continuity over making a splash. We all remember when Schottenheimer came in and changed everything

I don't have any interest in making a splash, I would like to improve the offense though.
    Maybe Kirby will hire a QB coach and move Coley to TEs. There are other ways to bring in new blood, the new offensive assistant and/or analysts.

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Can someone please explain why this is a lazy hire? Should all internal promotions be viewed as "lazy"? Bizarre.

Nope, it took a year.

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

I think the story is easy to read, but we'll never know for sure because Kirby wouldn't dare admit it.

Here's my theory. Kirby knew he was going to 86 Chaney during the 2017 season. But he also knew he had to wait for the right time. Following the 2017 season he made Coley Co-OC and put him in the booth with Chaney. Kirby knew Chaney is a proud man and wouldn't stand for that arrangement long term. He also knew there'd be interest in Chaney, so he just waited for a school like Tenn. to make a move that would interest CJC. Once Pruitt made his move, Kirby could enact his plan of making Coley OC.

By definition this is not a lazy hire, since Kirby has known for quite some time who he wanted as his OC.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

I think the story is easy to read, but we'll never know for sure because Kirby wouldn't dare admit it.

Here's my theory. Kirby knew he was going to 86 Chaney during the 2017 season. But he also knew he had to wait for the right time. Following the 2017 season he made Coley Co-OC and put him in the booth with Chaney. Kirby knew Chaney is a proud man and wouldn't stand for that arrangement long term. He also knew there'd be interest in Chaney, so he just waited for a school like Tenn. to make a move that would interest CJC. Once Pruitt made his move, Kirby could enact his plan of making Coley OC.

By definition this is not a lazy hire, since Kirby has known for quite some time who he wanted as his OC.

My issue with that theory is that it puts the 2018 season into a good bit of jeopardy. I have a hard time seeing Kirby positioning that to intentionally create conflict all on a master plan to push out Chaney. I think the move after 2017 with Coley was just to retain him and give him incentive to not go to Jimbo and the Aggies.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

I think only that with our level of pedigree it could’ve attracted a bigger name. Lazy isn’t necessarily a bad word here from where I’m coming at it

• DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

This was a SMART move :wink:

• JKFlyfishJKFlyfish Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 11

@DawgsofWar said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    Terribly lazy hire

Agreed. Coley isn't a great OC, but he's a great recruiter and I think that has something to do with the promotion.

Well he will have to get a whole heck of a lot better at Xs and Os and calling plays. Hopefully...

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AWESOME!!!

@Kasey said:

@Kasey said:

I think only that with our level of pedigree it could’ve attracted a bigger name. Lazy isn’t necessarily a bad word here from where I’m coming at it

Looking for a high profile hire could be considered lazy. The Rams hired a 31 year old then relatively unknown outside of a small circle HC 2 years ago. Sean McVay blew away The owners and GM in interviews.

• LORLOR Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Here's my theory. Kirby knew he was going to 86 Chaney during the 2017 season. But he also knew he had to wait for the right time.

That conveniently leaves out the fact Chaney received an extension to his contract. If he wanted to get rid of him, just let him finish the third year of his original contract and don’t renew.

@LOR said:

Here's my theory. Kirby knew he was going to 86 Chaney during the 2017 season. But he also knew he had to wait for the right time.

That conveniently leaves out the fact Chaney received an extension to his contract. If he wanted to get rid of him, just let him finish the third year of his original contract and don’t renew.

Clearly Kirby wanted to keep both Chaney and Coley after last season. I can't say what his thinking was on Chaney after the 2018 season though.

@PTDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

My issue with that theory is that it puts the 2018 season into a good bit of jeopardy. I have a hard time seeing Kirby positioning that to intentionally create conflict all on a master plan to push out Chaney. I think the move after 2017 with Coley was just to retain him and give him incentive to not go to Jimbo and the Aggies.

That's quite possible, but mine has greater sales at the super market checkout stands! ;)

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I read where 2 former players were pushing for Coley a few days ago.

Any feedback from former players, players or recruits since the announcement?

@LOR said:

Certainly plausible. In the end Chaney is gone and a new era begins. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

@AndersonDawg said:
    I read where 2 former players were pushing for Coley a few days ago.

Any feedback from former players, players or recruits since the announcement?

• Herschel_TalkerHerschel_Talker Posts: 61 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby was clever to think ahead by putting Coley in the booth. I don't think he wanted to piss off Cheney, and would have liked for him to have stayed on. However, we were prepared to lose either one of those guys this off-season and have Jake Fromm continue right on course. Continuity is key on this one. Lazy? Lol, CKS has been putting this effort in for a while.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coley went in the booth bc Jay Johnson wasn’t allowed in there per NCAA rules

@DawgsofWar said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    Terribly lazy hire

This is an important position. Can't just make the decision on recruiting chops alone. I guess I'm more disappointed than surprised by the hire. Lots of quality candidates wanted the job.

@Kasey said:

Mehh... Schottenheimer is trash and is incapable of adaptation. That's why the offense **** with him in charge. Saying I'm against any kind of change just because a bad result occurred one time would handicap most options going forward. I'm not surprised by the hire. It is what it is

@Kasey said:
    Coley went in the booth bc Jay Johnson wasn’t allowed in there per NCAA rules

As Co-OC you don't think Kirby put him in there to assist in play calling and get back into in game play calling mode?

@tiger_62082 said:

@DawgsofWar said:

@tiger_62082 said:
    Terribly lazy hire

This is an important position. Can't just make the decision on recruiting chops alone. I guess I'm more disappointed than surprised by the hire. Lots of quality candidates wanted the job.

Like who?