Interesting Recruiting Fact last 12 years

BrianDawgBrianDawg Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Utilizing the 247 Composite Class Rankings

Its been said many times – We need to appreciate what we are witnessing when it comes to recruiting – granted we want it to bear fruit on the field as well.
Look at this.

Over the past 12 years (2008 to 2019) there have been 18 classes that have posted a composite score of 300 or higher.
7 of those belong to Alabama (with 6 years in a row)
Only 2 other teams have back to back classes with greater than 300 tOSU is one and Georgia is the other.
Georgia is the only other team that has now had 3 classes with greater than 300 (2017, 2018 and 2019). Even if we subtract Just Fields and Luke Ford 2018.

This is a great time to be a BULLDAWG – even in my family (mainly my brothers) I find us complaining about where the Dawgs are – it is a great time to be thankful to be a DAWG.
Try to appreciate what we are getting to enjoy and witness.
My father passed away 2 years ago - UGA graduate class of 1967 – he would have been loving every minute of what we are witnessing.
GO DAWGS!!

Comments

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Recruiting is certainly exciting. According to the recruiting analysts, each team is the least talented team that we will ever have and we are full of "generational" talent. Unfortunately, they don't pass out trophies for recruiting and having a talented team. Through 3 years, the Richt results > Kirbry results.

• DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 196 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MIghtydawg said:
    Recruiting is certainly exciting. According to the recruiting analysts, each team is the least talented team that we will ever have and we are full of "generational" talent. Unfortunately, they don't pass out trophies for recruiting and having a talented team. Through 3 years, the Richt results > Kirbry results.

I disagree. Richt did not have us in a National TItle game.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrianDawg said:

Its been said many times – We need to appreciate what we are witnessing when it comes to recruiting – granted we want it to bear fruit on the field as well.
    Look at this.

Over the past 12 years (2008 to 2019) there have been 18 classes that have posted a composite score of 300 or higher.
    Only 2 other teams have back to back classes with greater than 300 tOSU is one and Georgia is the other.
    Georgia is the only other team that has now had 3 classes with greater than 300 (2017, 2018 and 2019). Even if we subtract Just Fields and Luke Ford 2018.

This is a great time to be a BULLDAWG – even in my family (mainly my brothers) I find us complaining about where the Dawgs are – it is a great time to be thankful to be a DAWG.
    My father passed away 2 years ago - UGA graduate class of 1967 – he would have been loving every minute of what we are witnessing.
    GO DAWGS!!

How does Clemson fit into this picture?

@DGDinNYC said:

@MIghtydawg said:

32-8 > 32-10. Also, he did not have the benefit of a four-team playoff. If he did, he makes the playoffs in his second season (2002).

• BrianDawgBrianDawg Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Casanova_Flatulence said:

@BrianDawg said:

Look at this.

GO DAWGS!!

Great question.

They are the anomaly- (smaller classes) but not as highly ranked.

They obviously do a great job of identifying talent.

They are always between number 4 class and number 10 but quality.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrianDawg said:

@BrianDawg said:

Look at this.

GO DAWGS!!

Great question.

They are the anomaly- (smaller classes) but not as highly ranked.

They obviously do a great job of identifying talent.

They are always between number 4 class and number 10 but quality.

Agree and I also think Brent Venebals is one of the best DC's in college football.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BrianDawg said:

Look at this.

GO DAWGS!!

Clemson will rarely be above 300 because they rarely take as many athletes as UGA, O$U, or Bama. Even when they do, their average score isn't as high as those schools. I think Clemson/Dabo is very good at getting the really highly ranked guys in slots 1-13 or so and then fills out the remainder with lower rated 4 and 3 star guys. As long as they stay healthy the higher rated guys compete well against everyone. Couple that with the fact that Dabo is just a really good coach, both in strategy and development.

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MIghtydawg said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@MIghtydawg said:

32-8 > 32-10. Also, he did not have the benefit of a four-team playoff. If he did, he makes the playoffs in his second season (2002).

And probably with that tight SECCG in 2012, he's probably in there as well. Only time will tell but there's greater urgency with CKS than I ever felt with CMR...I think time will prove CKS to be the more successful of the two.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman

We certainly never steamrolled through the entire SEC East 2 years in a row like we've done with Kirby. Had Tua not thrown a last second rabbit foot up his ace hail Mary we wouldn't be having this conversation. At least with Kirby we haven't played down to lesser competition the last two years. Can't help but feel that same sense of urgency.

@WildDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@MIghtydawg said:

And probably with that tight SECCG in 2012, he's probably in there as well. Only time will tell but there's greater urgency with CKS than I ever felt with CMR...I think time will prove CKS to be the more successful

Agreed but to say that we are making some type of recruiting history really does not matter. Success is measured in wins and losses, not recruiting rankings.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@MIghtydawg said:

Richt wasn’t dealing with the Saban dynasty either. SEC is better top to bottom than it was back then. SEC wasn’t the unanimous top conference back then, now it is.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@WildDawg said:

@MIghtydawg said:

@DGDinNYC said:

@MIghtydawg said:

And probably with that tight SECCG in 2012, he's probably in there as well. Only time will tell but there's greater urgency with CKS than I ever felt with CMR...I think time will prove CKS to be the more successful

Agreed but to say that we are making some type of recruiting history really does not matter. Success is measured in wins and losses, not recruiting rankings.

Some folks think acquiring elite talent is part of the recipe for winning. They celebrate when their team stacks three unprecedented recruiting classes in a row and anticipate more recruiting success in the future.

If those folk's opinions stick in your craw I'd think college football forums would be a place to avoid. Especially Georgia's. Because Kirby ain't done yet.

"Some folks" = any folks that understand the importance of having the best players. I also happen to think that we have better coaching now vs then.

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MIghtydawg said:

You do understand that you can't lose a game if you're not in it...right? Can you think of a couple of games UGA lost that Richt never sniffed at least one of?

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post. Thanks

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good dose of big picture reality to counteract the hourly panic of recent weeks!!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SAVDGD said:
    At least with Kirby we haven't played down to lesser competition the last two years.

We haven’t? LSU and Texas were very reminiscent of the Richt years.

The jury is still very much out on CKS. How Coley does to fill Jim Chaney’s shoes will go a long way toward determining the overall grade of CKS in regards to running a major program. Same for the DC pick. Mel Tucker was a ready-made gift who was only there for Kirby because Saban brought him to Alabama.

We will never have this level of talent again under Kirby if we stumble now. Recruiting, from here on out, will follow the on-field results. Right now Kirby is still able to sell recruits on our potential as a program under his guidance.

• BrianDawgBrianDawg Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

@JeffSentell said:
    The building block of the Smart era in four words = Get the best players.

Georgia has gotten the best or better players than everyone sans Alabama under Smart. The next steps are player development and now player retention. Georgia is plugging in preferred players like DeAngelo Gibbs, Richard LeCounte III, Demetris Robertson and Julian Rochester into its depth charts. But they still need to play to their potential.

Player retention is a new wrinkle with cases like Fields and Ford.

The final phase would be Gamedays. That's the game plan, execution of the game plan and in-game management like when to and when not to fake a field goal or a punt

Reminder: That new coaching king of college football over there in The Palmetto State didn't win a natty until after his eighth full season. He's also lost five bowl games up to this point.

Completely agree

Thanks Jeff.

• shhmittyshhmitty Posts: 204 ✭✭✭ Junior

I keep reading that Clemson's recruiting rankings are not accurate because they take less recruits. Why dont they sign the maximum amount of kids each year? What are the advantages to doing this?

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@shhmitty said:
    I keep reading that Clemson's recruiting rankings are not accurate because they take less recruits. Why dont they sign the maximum amount of kids each year? What are the advantages to doing this?

This is true, but it looks like Clemson is taking 28 or 29 in the 2019 class (a TON of three stars).
    Advantage(among others): less elite prima donnas in the locker room = less drama. There isn't much question who is first on the depth chart so that player gets more reps.
    Disadvantage (among others): Talcum doesn't sharpen iron.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@SAVDGD said:
    At least with Kirby we haven't played down to lesser competition the last two years.

The jury is still very much out on CKS. How Coley does to fill Jim Chaney’s shoes will go a long way toward determining the overall grade of CKS in regards to running a major program. Same for the DC pick. Mel Tucker was a ready-made gift who was only there for Kirby because Saban brought him to Alabama.

We will never have this level of talent again under Kirby if we stumble now. Recruiting, from here on out, will follow the on-field results. Right now Kirby is still able to sell recruits on our potential as a program under his guidance.

I get your point, but there is also the possibility Kirby could have brought in someone else, besides Mel, to be the DC. It's not like he was the only candidate in the nation.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:

@SAVDGD said:

Lsu has just as much talent as we do.dont short them on that.we had a bunch of talent last season but they were mostly young.this year will be a great one as long as Fromm stays healthy.Kirby will keep us in the hunt.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@EricDawgs1 said:

@Bankwalker said:

@SAVDGD said:

Lsu has just as much talent as we do.

Not anymore. They did have upperclass talent. The bulk of UGA's talent was underclassmen. Next year Richie Rich's class will be juniors; 2020 season will feature the vaunted 2018 class as juniors. Georgia will DOMINATE the east for at least two more years on talent alone.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What I see out of Clemson is the ability to get the best out of their players and coaches. Essentially getting the best for their team. Their ability to produce some of the better wide outs in the NCAA is impressive to me. Their rb’s aren’t the highly touted recruits but them boys can play ball with the best of them as we’ve seen.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@shhmitty said:

They don't ''process'', low attrition = fewer spots per year opening up.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BiggerBadDawg said:
    What I see out of Clemson is the ability to get the best out of their players and coaches. Essentially getting the best for their team. Their ability to produce some of the better wide outs in the NCAA is impressive to me. Their rb’s aren’t the highly touted recruits but them boys can play ball with the best of them as we’ve seen.

They're like a Michigan St. in basketball which keeps more of their core players longer than say Kentucky. This allows them to consistently have a mature and talented roster while signing fewer elite players than The Wildcats.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:

They're like a Michigan St. in basketball which keeps more of their core players longer than say Kentucky. This allows them to consistently have a mature and talented roster while signing fewer elite players than The Wildcats.

Yes Sir! Completely agree with that statement. There’s something to be said about knocking off Bama 2 out of 3 yrs with a group of guys that don’t have quite the “star” power that Bama has. To me that reflects well on the coaching and the players ability to understand and react to the challenge.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is it 2 of 4 years?