Austin Kendall now in the Portal..... huh...?

darklangodarklango Posts: 30 ✭ Freshman

Austin Kendall name is now in the portal. I might be wrong but I thought he was the projected starter for the Sooners. What is happening with these QBs?

Comments

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Free agency.

• joeyww12000joeyww12000 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe he knows Jalen is coming???

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@joeyww12000 said:

I thought he was following Enos to Miami. Can't trust this board for anything.

• spradlin24spradlin24 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@darklango said:
    Austin Kendall name is now in the portal. I might be wrong but I thought he was the projected starter for the Sooners. What is happening with these QBs?

Running from the 5* that is headed to campus to take the job. Probably assumes he will not keep the job so why waste the time and move on now. It is going to be hard to keep two studs on campus that are not separated by two years from now on with the way kids bounce from school to school.

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MIghtydawg said:

@joeyww12000 said:

I thought he was following Enos to Miami. Can't trust this board for anything.

Well, it's mostly all speculation..... unless it comes from a few reliable members here....

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@spradlin24 said:

@darklango said:

Running from the 5* that is headed to campus to take the job. Probably assumes he will not keep the job so why waste the time and move on now. It is going to be hard to keep two studs on campus that are not separated by two years from now on with the way kids bounce from school to school.

Yep! Watching Spencer Rattler in that AA game makes me think he's already looking over his shoulder ie. Tate Martel....

• WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@ghostofuga1 said:

@spradlin24 said:

@darklango said:

Yep! Watching Spencer Rattler in that AA game makes me think he's already looking over his shoulder ie. Tate Martel....

Wish I could say I disagree, but Rattler looked like an OU QB in that game...fits perfectly in Lincoln Riley's offense. I think this trend is just the beginning: it's the only real power Universities and the NCAA can give these athletes since they refuse to pay them or allow them to make royalties on their name/likeness. I'm not suggesting we start allowing all that to "amateur" athletes but I think we're past considering CFB an "amateur" sport aren't we?

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully, all this QB movement will cause the NCAA to reexamine their policies on transfers and waivers.

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 431 ✭✭✭ Junior

@spradlin24 said:

@darklango said:

He was a class of 2016 recruit so apparently a few years of separation doesn't matter either.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@spradlin24 said:

@darklango said:

Spencer Rattler happened lol

@ghostofuga1 said:

@spradlin24 said:

@darklango said:

He has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen. Very accurate too.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MacDawg15 said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

He has one of the quickest releases I've ever seen. Very accurate too.

Seems to me the trend has been a true freshman to lead their team to the playoffs here lately. Wouldn't surprise me if Rattler did the same thing at Oklahoma. Just don't expect them to win the title this year, that's for the Dawgs!

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not down playing us, but I'm in the opinion that is the main reason why Haselwood landed there. Had nothing to do with us or Fields, but wanted to play with a team in a slinging conference that has a 5 star slinger coming in. Will be interesting....

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:
    Not down playing us, but I'm in the opinion that is the main reason why Haselwood landed there. Had nothing to do with us or Fields, but wanted to play with a team in a slinging conference that has a 5 star slinger coming in. Will be interesting....

They're gonna score for sure.
    And so will everyone they play

• BigDawgHuntinBigDawgHuntin Posts: 72 ✭✭ Sophomore

@darklango said:

The same thing that happened with Justin Fields year at UGA- a quick look around, then a tuck and run.

edited January 12

@Kasey said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

That's a fact. All this "free agency" with qb's transferring now is sadly a part of the times we live in. People don't think coming in and learning and developing is worth more than just being a starter from day 1. Imo because of this, we need to be keeping those relationships with stud qb's even after they sign (if that kid is signing somewhere where he may not start immediately in year 1 or 2.) Great example would be one from this class or in the '20 class because imo Fromm will stay all 4 years because he loves being a DAWG and wants to be the guy that brought us a natty. Having that guy you know will transfer to us when Jake leaves is free agency plain and simple; because getting a waiver is so easy guys don't have to sit a year anymore.

Shouldn't keep us from just trying to get the best qb we can in recruiting (like always.) But one good thing about it is instead of having a Grayson Lambert grad transfer come in, each year there should be legit studs to bring in. I saw 5 VERY highly ranked qb's on espn last night that are in the portal. That's 5 teams that (if they only need a good qb but have everything else) are suddenly contenders.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@Kasey said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

That's a fact. All this "free agency" with qb's transferring now is sadly a part of the times we live in. People don't think coming in and learning and developing is worth more than just being a starter from day 1. Imo because of this, we need to be keeping those relationships with stud qb's even after they sign (if that kid is signing somewhere where he may not start immediately in year 1 or 2.) Great example would be one from this class or in the '20 class because imo Fromm will stay all 4 years because he loves being a DAWG and wants to be the guy that brought us a natty. Having that guy you know will transfer to us when Jake leaves is free agency plain and simple; because getting a waiver is so easy guys don't have to sit a year anymore.

I don’t think these kids realize they can improve their game by not playing right away also

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can coaches keep in contact with players after they sign with another school

@Kasey said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

I was a qb in hs and coached on that side of the ball in hs. But D's win championships and O's put butts in the seats. A great D to rely on is more valuable than gold imo. And with the talent and depth we've recruited, (especially for the '18 and '19 classes) CKS SHOULD get his 1st HC natty VERY soon. Coming into last year I didn't expect to win it because of everything we lost to the league. Mainly Roquan. But '19 and ESPECIALLY '20 should be our year/years without doubt. Anything we lose to the NFL now, we have a guy right behind him to fill those shoes. Will probably lose Thomas after '19, but we have great depth and bringing in Broderick Jones; so there should be no decline. And that's across the board. We lose Reed next year but Reese or Cine waiting to shine. Cine will be a star.

@RPMdawg said:

I just mean to show the kid love while recruiting him, and letting him know the whole time that if he ever leaves another program; our door is always open. Instill in their mind that Athens is a great place and a powerhouse football program that HE could lead IF he ever decides to test the waters of transferring.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@RPMdawg said:

That sounds too easy. Sounds like it might be "tampering" if there is such a thing in the NCAA rule book. The rule used to be that after one conversation - call by kid to the new school to say he would like to transfer, the new school had to contact the current school to get permission to talk to the player. They would do that compliance office to compliance office and then the current school could either give permission or deny it. Not sure if the portal changes any or all of this.

• spradlin24spradlin24 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After the weekend of action I am now thinking this guy could be leaving because of Hurts being courted by the coaches after they told the QB no transfers were possible this cycle for them.

• Commit_2_GCommit_2_G Posts: 59 ✭✭ Sophomore

Who knows. There are a lot of behind the scene things that these kids are prevy too that we aren't so we're left to speculate. Kids staying at the school they committed to was one of the reasons I like CFB soo much more than pros but unfortunately it's only going to be more prevelent moving forward.

I agree with compensating kids appropriately but just don't know how to so fairly without turning it into NFL2.

No couldn't be lol. After the Jadon article I assumed the DAWGS staff were the only guys flipping 05' Impalas. The circus some divas have turned such a great sport and time of year into.... Sad.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Two weeks ago this happened:

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-football-Spencer-Rattler-Justin-Fields-127111617/

"Coach Riley told me he’s not taking any transfer QB anytime soon,” Spencer Rattler told Steve Wiltfong.

A week later a "portalized" Alabama QB was invited to visit Norman, OK.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815398-jalen-hurts-reportedly-visits-oklahoma-campus-amid-alabama-transfer-rumors

Lincoln Riley=used car salesman????

Love your use of the adjective "portalized". I've never seen it used before. Spell check evidently hasn't either as it underlines it in red for me. Did you create that? Awesome. Portalized. I love the sound of it.

• BiffLowmanBiffLowman Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is there a way for the general public to access the portal?

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 339 ✭✭✭ Junior

No you must be a primadonna, a 3 star in public and a 5 star in your bathroom. Also helps if you make four differemt committments during high school, calling out each one as you bless a program with your presence.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@JoelSidneyKelly said:
    Two weeks ago this happened:

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-football-Spencer-Rattler-Justin-Fields-127111617/

"Coach Riley told me he’s not taking any transfer QB anytime soon,” Spencer Rattler told Steve Wiltfong.

A week later a "portalized" Alabama QB was invited to visit Norman, OK.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815398-jalen-hurts-reportedly-visits-oklahoma-campus-amid-alabama-transfer-rumors

Lincoln Riley=used car salesman????

Love your use of the adjective "portalized". I've never seen it used before. Spell check evidently hasn't either as it underlines it in red for me. Did you create that? Awesome. Portalized. I love the sound of it.

Honestly, I don't shake a finger of judgment at Riley. Just pointing out that he's not blameless and innocent... like the Lily of Death Valley / insert sarcasm font /