Clemson and the White House

LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nothing political here, but it never ceases to amaze me how folks turn a tradition into a political buffet. I love how Dabo rises above the fray to celebrate and embrace the experience of the institution. I hope we meet them in the CFP and win. It will be against a class act.

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You realize you just offended some of the liberals on the board?

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dabo is a fascist douchebag. Jk...respect the office even if you do not respect the man. Kudos for them.

• EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Trump is a horrible man that’s why.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 12

@EastAtlDawg said:

Man is a strong word. Trump acts like a boy

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 12

Trump sucks

• kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't the right to turn down the offer go straight to the heart of what it's supposed to mean to be American? This has happened a lot recently. I respect the players' decision to make their own call on whether to go or not. They're the ones who have to live w/ their conscience the rest of their lives.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@EastAtlDawg said:

At the risk of turning this political....why do you think Trump is horrible?

• Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

@law_dawg35 said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

You're joking, right?

This thread is officially political now. There is no good that will come of this on this message board. My thought is that if you want to debate about politics you should private message each other and argue about it that way.

@kelly_b said it just right. There is nothing more American than making the decision to go or not. It should be up to the players and we should all stand behind their decision. > @TMazz2009 said:

Dabo is a fascist douchebag. Jk...respect the office even if you do not respect the man. Kudos for them.

The problem is when the man doesn't respect the office. Some feel that if they go then it is an endorsement of the man. If players feel strongly about it they should not go. It is their right as Americans.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trump wasnt my pick, but I coildnt accept the corruption of the Clintons. Now that he is in office, the only thing I dislike is his twitter account. Liberals alerted me to the fact he was doing the right things with the way they continually bellyache about him.

The media is out of control doing the work of Schumer and Pelosi. Just this past week, when they labeled the border a “manufactured crisis” (even though Obama also called it a crisis) every major liberal media outlet then started using the exact same wording, “manufactured crisis”, to describe the birder. That was CNN, MSNBC, NBC, etc. That’s not a coincidence. It’s political influencing that should stop. Now you see polls with people saying the border isnt that big of deal, because people do shape and change their opinions based on what they are told by pretty boy Anderson Cooper. Anyone who thinks Fox is more conservative than CNN and MSNBC are liberal, simply arent watching all 3 channels. Fox does an exponentially better job of presenting both sides than do the others.

Just for the record, I apologize for posting anything remotely political on this board. If I could take back my previous posts I definitely would. I think many of us feel strongly about these topics and I know that I have very different views about them than some of you. I also feel like this isn't the place for political discussions.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker said:
    Trump wasnt my pick, but I coildnt accept the corruption of the Clintons. Now that he is in office, the only thing I dislike is his twitter account. Liberals alerted me to the fact he was doing the right things with the way they continually bellyache about him.

The media is out of control doing the work of Schumer and Pelosi. Just this past week, when they labeled the border a “manufactured crisis” (even though Obama also called it a crisis) every major liberal media outlet then started using the exact same wording, “manufactured crisis”, to describe the birder. That was CNN, MSNBC, NBC, etc. That’s not a coincidence. It’s political influencing that should stop. Now you see polls with people saying the border isnt that big of deal, because people do shape and change their opinions based on what they are told by pretty boy Anderson Cooper. Anyone who thinks Fox is more conservative than CNN and MSNBC are liberal, simply arent watching all 3 channels. Fox does an exponentially better job of presenting both sides than do the others.

Please someone show where Trump attacked anyone first on Twitter, it’s all in response to someone flapping their gums.
    But all your points are spot on @Bankwalker. He is being attacked from all sides including his own party. I remember bama sending 150 billion in CASH to Iran and not a word about it. This shutdown is over 5 billion for our own country. Someone please explain what we got for 150billion? What a shame Congress has become. Term limits are needed. We are headed down a path you will not like when we get there.

edited January 12

The problem is when the man doesn't respect the office. Some feel that if they go then it is an endorsement of the man. If players feel strongly about it they should not go. It is their right as Americans.

That's the distinction @Stingray2112 - respect for the office. I think I would accept the offer just for the experience of being there. I might go Buzz Aldrin, but I don't think I could resist the opportunity. The history alone is enough for me. But I understand that some players are practicing their First Amendment right by not going and I have no objection to that, whatever their political stripe may be. Freedom means freedom to as well as freedom from.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:

@Bankwalker said:

I remember bama sending 150 billion in CASH to Iran and not a word about it. Someone please explain what we got for 150billion?

Uh.....Seven National Championships?

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I miss the days when politics and sports (or entertainment) weren't nearly as intertwined as they are today. I know they have always had some spillover, but nowadays they are virtually inseparable.

I follow sports and entertainment as a diversion from the difficulties of everyday life, not a constant reminder. Perhaps I'll have to find another way to spend my free time, which would be a shame, as I love UGA and the Dawgs!

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I posted this topic it was merely to give a shout out to Dabo for taking his team to the White House. There may have been a bit of naievity to think it wouldn’t be political. I never post political positions because a lot of folks can’t discuss their position without disrespecting those that don’t agree with them. I don’t think going to the White House is an endorsement for the President. You don’t have to like him or dislike him to respect the House and the institution. I suppose if we’d won the Natty we would be seriously split on attending a White House ceremony.

edited January 12

@Palm_City_Dawg said:
    I miss the days when politics and sports (or entertainment) weren't nearly as intertwined as they are today. I know they have always had some spillover, but nowadays they are virtually inseparable.

I follow sports and entertainment as a diversion from the difficulties of everyday life, not a constant reminder. Perhaps I'll have to find another way to spend my free time, which would be a shame, as I love UGA and the Dawgs!

Growing up playing sports ingrained in me a lot of values I carry today, particularly lessons from my dad in relation to the game and my behavior and how that carries over into everyday life. It is primarily entertainment, but I don't think we should discount sports' significance as a mirror of social mores, progress, or lack thereof - all depending on your personal POV. These guys are contributors to our culture and have a right to participate and voice their opinions on other matters. And despite ignorant stereotypes about the "dumb jock," many athletes are very intelligent, well-spoken, and thoughtful. Of course, a lot of others are just seeking more attention. What can't be denied is that high-visibility sports offers a platform for diverse voices to be heard which otherwise might get buried in the blah-noise, whether you're John Smoltz or Ali. The coolest button on the remote control is the mute button.

• dawgfan1873dawgfan1873 Posts: 21 ✭✭ Sophomore

Can we make a new rule no talking about politics, religion or sexual orientation ? I follow this rule at work and it works pretty well.

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can’t wait to help keep Trump in the White House in 2020.

• BradDogBradDog Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

Build that greal Wall of olinemen, j/s.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kelly_b said:

@Palm_City_Dawg said:

Growing up playing sports ingrained in me a lot of values I carry today, particularly lessons from my dad in relation to the game and my behavior and how that carries over into everyday life. It is primarily entertainment, but I don't think we should discount sports' significance as a mirror of social mores, progress, or lack thereof - all depending on your personal POV. These guys are contributors to our culture and have a right to participate and voice their opinions on other matters. And despite ignorant stereotypes about the "dumb jock," many athletes are very intelligent, well-spoken, and thoughtful. Of course, a lot of others are just seeking more attention. What can't be denied is that high-visibility sports offers a platform for diverse voices to be heard which otherwise might get buried in the blah-noise, whether you're John Smoltz or Ali. The coolest button on the remote control is the mute button.

Having played football through college, and coached football and lacrosse at various levels over the last 15 years, I could not agree more that playing sports instills values and lessons that carry through a lifetime. My personal issue with professional athletes (or entertainers) professing their opinions is that they are afforded a platform most people don't have access to, and there is very little opportunity for discourse or rebuttal.

While I don't subscribe to the "dumb jock" stereotype, I also don't believe that their opinion is any more valuable (or educated) than yours or mine; it simply gets expressed to more people, giving it greater pseudo-significance and influence. To me, that is the "blah-noise".

BTW...the mute button isn't effective after the fact.

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@law_dawg35 said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

Cause the media told them he does :D

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Trying to convert a Republican to Democrat or vice versa is generally a total waste of time. About like trying to convert a Gator fan to be a Dawg. So maybe best course of action on this forum is to not talk politics or religion and just talk about how the Dawgs are going to win the NC in the 2019 Season??

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

They got the right to not go and I have the right to criticize them. Personally I hate it when sports and politics get mixed together, sports was our last refuge where people of all political and personal beliefs could come together and be on the same team for a change.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TuckyDawg said:
    They got the right to not go and I have the right to criticize them. Personally I hate it when sports and politics get mixed together, sports was our last refuge where people of all political and personal beliefs could come together and be on the same team for a change.

So maybe under that premise no team should ever go to the white house

@Kasey said:

@TuckyDawg said:

I think they all should go. I clearly said I had the right to criticize them for not going. I also it when politics can be left out of sports. Especially college sports.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TuckyDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@TuckyDawg said:

I think they all should go. I clearly said I had the right to criticize them for not going. I also it when politics can be left out of sports. Especially college sports.

I just meant if we are really keeping sports and politics separate these trips don’t even need to happen

@Kasey said:

@TuckyDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@TuckyDawg said:

I just meant if we are really keeping sports and politics separate these trips don’t even need to happen

It us a catch 22, now that politics have been woven into every facet of our lives. I just personally think, kids should take the trip and enjoy the visit, regardless of who is President. But it has come to the point, that everyone looks for a reason to be offended, instead of looking for common ground. They got this by the way from the Not For Fun league.

People aren't looking for a reason to be offended. There are people who have real issues with this president (see the Charlottesville incident for just one example).. It's not as simple as saying people are just looking to be offended.