I think Bama's program might start a decline next season..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know they are early favorites at preseason #1, nothing surprising there, it's a safe choice given their history over the past 10 years.
I think we might be entering Saban's twilight though.
1. Saban looked really worn out by the end of the 2018 season. In the championship game he looked bent and I saw little of the focus and determination seemingly always therein the past.
2. The defense loses most of it's DL. I know they always just reload, but they were not their usual impenetrable wall even loaded with veteran and soon to be 1st rd draft picks.
3. 5 more assistants have left the program. We saw some issues with Lupoi as DC, he seems to be the worst DC Saban has had, maybe in his career. This is a cautionary example of putting recruiting ability over coaching ability. With Saban probably slowing down, he'll need to delegate more, I'm glad Tosh isn't coming to Athens.
4. No program other than maybe ND's from the 30s through the 50s has ever been immune to cycles. It's dang near impossible to stay on top without a down period for decades, maybe Bama has come to the end of this great run.

Comments

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Holy smokes, I agree.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clemson is the pre-season #1 by a pretty wide margin.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@Kasey said:
    I think they may have an off year, but the tales of their death are greatly exaggerated. They’re like Jason Voorhees. I won’t believe they’re dead until his head is cut off and his body has an axe sticking out of it and even then I’ll make sure

Saban has never been 67 years old before. Bobby Bowden was the exception, most great coaches from Osbourne to Bear either retire in their 60s or go into decline. I went back and reviewed interviews of Bowden in the 90s when he was around the age Saban is now. He still had the boyish excitement and energy that characterized the man and coach. Saban looked bent and worn down by the end of 2018.
    Think about the notion that Saban might have an off year, then come back at 69 years old in 2020 and dominate, maybe he will, but it seems very possible he won't.

• judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you’re going to be greatly disappointed if you believe this

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    Clemson is the pre-season #1 by a pretty wide margin.

247 has an extensive list of services' early preseason rankings. They have 10 going to Clemson and 9 going to Bama, both are top 2 in all 19 polls.

@judasdurant said:
    I think you’re going to be greatly disappointed if you believe this

Maybe.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You’re dealing a bit in hypotheticals and eye tests. If he’s still coaching these guys up they will win.

I do agree with you that this offense should be shaky next year

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have wished for their decline for years now, but it has not yet come to pass. I remember thinking similar things last year watching Saban in the NC game against us - he looked bent, burdened, and tired. He came back to have the #1 recruiting class (so far) this year and made it back to the NC game. I hope he fades soon, but I don't think the things we see right now can be taken as much more than wishful thinking or confirmation bias on our part. Go Dawgs!

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@insertusernamehere said:
    I have wished for their decline for years now, but it has not yet come to pass. I remember thinking similar things last year watching Saban in the NC game against us - he looked bent, burdened, and tired. He came back to have the #1 recruiting class (so far) this year and made it back to the NC game. I hope he fades soon, but I don't think the things we see right now can be taken as much more than wishful thinking or confirmation bias on our part. Go Dawgs!

I think it's unwise to judge things like a person's motivation or such by watching them on tv in a stressful situation. To me he was under stress and I don't know of any coaches who are smiling and skipping rope during a stressful game. I think your mention of the # 1 recruiting class shows he has plenty of energy left. He also looked unhappy during and after this year's NC game - another stressful situation. I think it's wishful thinking on our part that he retire sooner than later. I'd love it as much as the next Dawg fan, but don't see it just around the corner.

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

I think it's unwise to judge things like a person's motivation or such by watching them on tv in a stressful situation. To me he was under stress and I don't know of any coaches who are smiling and skipping rope during a stressful game. I think your mention of the # 1 recruiting class shows he has plenty of energy left. He also looked unhappy during and after this year's NC game - another stressful situation. I think it's wishful thinking on our part that he retire sooner than later. I'd love it as much as the next Dawg fan, but don't see it just around the corner.

I agree!

• rednavelrednavel Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hope you’re right. I personally felt they were beatable in 2017 and although they rolled to the title game, it was a different team build than in previous years. Saban adopted a much more open passing game, taking away their ability to run the clock and wear teams down by the end of games. Plus it places a lot of strain on your defense. All dynasties eventually crumble.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No, I believe him. Saban will probably exit after this next season Championship or not as Tua will likely turn pro and Trevor Lawrence could b in the middle of a threepeat. And with Georgia now having grown into a full fledged monster and Fla., LSU, Texas A&M, and Texas coming on, I think old Nick is gonna take his shot with Tua and the jets and call it a career......Until he eventually takes the Head Coaching job of a team with a Championship ready roster in the NFL to scratch that final itch.

edited January 12

@Kasey said:
    You’re dealing a bit in hypotheticals and eye tests. If he’s still coaching these guys up they will win.

The slippage on defense, even with a DL full of veteran soon to be 1st rd picks is central to my thinking. This is new. This combined with Saban's age, the loss of 5 more assistants and the natural laws of entropy adds up to my thinking the possibilities of the Bama program nearing an end to this period of dominance is far greater than in previous years.

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

People predicted the decline of Bama last year. And the year before that.

Just keep predicting it. Eventually you’ll be right.

@MeR3htid said:
    No, I believe him. Saban will probably exit after this next season Championship or not as Tua will likely turn pro and Trevor Lawrence could b in the middle of a threepeat. And with Georgia now having grown into a full fledged monster and Fla., LSU, Texas A&M, and Texas coming on, I think old Nick is gonna take his shot with Tua and the jets and call it a career......Until he eventually takes the Head Coaching job of a team with a Championship ready roster in the NFL to scratch that final itch.

I don't think Saban will risk his legacy by taking on another NFL job at this late stage in his career. He struggled in that atmosphere at the height of his abilities. A 69 or 70 year old taking on a job that he failed at when he was in his 50s seems unlikely.

@donm said:

@insertusernamehere said:

Saban almost always looks unhappy during games. But not showing decisiveness and energy combined with looking beaten and old is new.

@levander said:
    People predicted the decline of Bama last year. And the year before that.

Just keep predicting it. Eventually you’ll be right.

I've never predicted it before.
    Eventually you'll be right if you keep posting.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban wont slow down until he retires.i want him to stay so Kirby can beat him.

• dawgOf2002dawgOf2002 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't understand the notion that bama's offense will be shaky next year or that it'll be a off year. Bama returns 8 starters on D
    And the almost the entire O losing 2 RB's, a OL, and a TE. All in all bama returns 16 starters.

• WtkWtk Posts: 25 ✭ Freshman

N> @Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

The slippage on defense, even with a DL full of veteran soon to be 1st rd picks is central to my thinking. This is new. This combined with Saban's age, the loss of 5 more assistants and the natural laws of entropy adds up to my thinking the possibilities of the Bama program nearing an end to this period of dominance is far greater than in previous years.

He lost 12 to the NFL last year. This year may be half of that.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgOf2002 said:
    I don't understand the notion that bama's offense will be shaky next year or that it'll be a off year. Bama returns 8 starters on D
    And the almost the entire O losing 2 RB's, a OL, and a TE. All in all bama returns 16 starters.

edited January 12

@Wtk said:
    N> @Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

He lost 12 to the NFL last year. This year may be half of that.

He's losing maybe 6 1st rders though.
    I think they'll be fine on offense, maybe even better than this season. It's defense where I see them slipping, maybe considerably.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If they're (Alabama) returning 8 men on defense I like our chances against them even more because thats not a great defense. It wasn't even a very good 1 by Alabama standards. Yeah Saban is gonna pack it in after next season most likely with a loss to Georgia in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game and likely missing out on the playoffs and hes done..... Until Jerry Jones comes a callin. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama has the top recruiting class this year and they finished 14-1. They lost one game. Saban may be tired and losing players and staff yearly but his talent pool is huge.

edited January 12

@MeR3htid said:
    If they're (Alabama) returning 8 men on defense I like our chances against them even more because thats not a great defense. It wasn't even a very good 1 by Alabama standards. Yeah Saban is gonna pack it in after next season most likely with a loss to Georgia in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game and likely missing out on the playoffs and hes done..... Until Jerry Jones comes a callin. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

It looked like they'd lose more on defe> @Polynikes said:

Bama has the top recruiting class this year and they finished 14-1. They lost one game. Saban may be tired and losing players and staff yearly but his talent pool is huge.

The 2019 class won't impact till maybe 2020 or even 2021, their lower ranked 2018 class will start factoring in this coming season. By the time the 2018 class has much impact Saban will be 70 years old.

The less control Saban is able to muster, the more entropy will accelerate.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg I’ve been hoping for that for years and years.... I just want to see a Georgia BEAT DOWN of Alabama like the one back in 1976 (I was 13) when “Dooley’s DAWGS shut them out 21-0! <- THAT was HUGE at that time! I miss Georgia BEATING those guys out West!

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg I’ve been hoping for that for years and years.... I just want to see a Georgia BEAT DOWN of Alabama like the one back in 1976 (I was 13) when “Dooley’s DAWGS shut them out 21-0! <- THAT was HUGE at that time! I miss Georgia BEATING those guys out West!

Crushing them would be great, winning by 1 pt would be ok as well.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg no doubt sir. I think that the just CRUSHING them would be really great therapy for many of us long suffering DAWGFANS.

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg no doubt sir. I think that the just CRUSHING them would be really great therapy for many of us long suffering DAWGFANS.

I want to see Saban crying in a fetal position after being crushed by UGA in next season's SECCG. I'd take a handshake after losing to us by a point though.