What I saw from Coley in 2014

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just went back and watched the Miami vs FSU game from '14. I can see why Jimbo respects Coley and tried to hire him at A&M. Miami ran a lot of pro concepts, 2 TE, FB, Kaaya under center etc. But Coley tries to attack defenses vertically and OFTEN. More throws to the middle of the field and up the seams. Keeps safeties honest to open up the run game underneath. Miami looked great against FSU (the year they lost the Rose Bowl to Oregon) and I thought they probably should have won the game. Kaaya took more shots in the first half than we saw Fromm take the first half of this season. I'm obviously exaggerating a tad but getting vertical is Coleys' calling card. 2014 was Duke Johnsons junior year and Kaaya's freshman. Duke ran for 1,500 and 10TD's with Kaaya throwing for 2,900 25TD 11INT. The TE and RB were #2 and #3 on the team in receiving yards with the TE having the most receptions so I'm expecting to see Swift and Woerner utilized more in the passing department. I watched the first half of the Virginia game after that FSU loss (Labert was starting QB). Saw some WR screes! and a wildDAWG formation (didn't see much or any of that this year weirdly enough) But I like the hire and I think we may see Robertson have pretty big year. Looking forward to seeing how he uses all of our weapons especially Cook.

Comments

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

great breakdown - thanks for sharing!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Observations can have value, but results need to be assessed.

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Record - overall 6-7, in conference 3-5.

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@WCDawg but what was Miami working with then...and I wonder what he can do with talent at Uga...

• donmdonm Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Acrum21 said:
    Just went back and watched the Miami vs FSU game from '14. I can see why Jimbo respects Coley and tried to hire him at A&M. Miami ran a lot of pro concepts, 2 TE, FB, Kaaya under center etc. But Coley tries to attack defenses vertically and OFTEN. More throws to the middle of the field and up the seams. Keeps safeties honest to open up the run game underneath. Miami looked great against FSU (the year they lost the Rose Bowl to Oregon) and I thought they probably should have won the game. Kaaya took more shots in the first half than we saw Fromm take the first half of this season. I'm obviously exaggerating a tad but getting vertical is Coleys' calling card. 2014 was Duke Johnsons junior year and Kaaya's freshman. Duke ran for 1,500 and 10TD's with Kaaya throwing for 2,900 25TD 11INT. The TE and RB were #2 and #3 on the team in receiving yards with the TE having the most receptions so I'm expecting to see Swift and Woerner utilized more in the passing department. I watched the first half of the Virginia game after that FSU loss (Labert was starting QB). Saw some WR screes! and a wildDAWG formation (didn't see much or any of that this year weirdly enough) But I like the hire and I think we may see Robertson have pretty big year. Looking forward to seeing how he uses all of our weapons especially Cook.

Thanks. You make the hire sound encouraging. Fingers crossed here in FL.

• LORLOR Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but isn’t that open to confirmation bias? One person can look and say “he did great given the players he was working with” and another would say “he couldn’t put enough points on the board to help the team win.”

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    @Acrum21 thanks for that perspective. So many people are down on this hire, or are just tolerating it for now. There's a reason why Fisher wanted Coley, and why Kirby worked so hard to keep him. I too am looking forward to seeing how he might open up the offense, given what you've shared.

I'm not one of those. I very much like the hire and just wish he was our OC to begin the CKS era. We'd have 1 NC already. I think he will always be thinking of a way to utilize our playmakers. He will take more shots downfield, exploit our strengths, and we'll be a high powered offense. The fact that he calls a screen when he's being blitzed consistently will be a welcomed change from Chaney.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LOR said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

I’m not disagreeing with you, but isn’t that open to confirmation bias? One person can look and say “he did great given the players he was working with” and another would say “he couldn’t put enough points on the board to help the team win.”

Results are likely heavily influenced by the level of talent present during a coach's tenure. However, his approach to guiding the team, plays he calls and offensive concepts he favors would seem to be "transportable" from job to job.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

They had like zero depth. They did deal with a bunch of scholarship stuff and in 2011 recruiting class (seniors on the team) had two 3*'s as the highest commits, one of those not even nationally ranked.

@donm said:

@LOR said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Results are likely heavily influenced by the level of talent present during a coach's tenure. However, his approach to guiding the team, plays he calls and offensive concepts he favors would seem to be "transportable" from job to job.

Exactly. He had a horrible O line. We aren't weak anywhere. We have strengths UM didn't and still doesn't have. I bet anybody that wants to that we will see a more well rounded offense than we did under Chaney. And even though we are losing alot of talent on that side of the ball, we will still put up ALOT of points. I personally see a transformation of us having wr's with really good numbers (and of course our backs will put up the usual or more.) And down there on the 1 we'll punch it in because instead of us trying to stick it in the A gap when 8-9 guys are bringing the house; he'll do something to put a guy like Swift, Cook, Robertson etc IN SPACE to pick up a yard. Or a power formation and use play action (with the rb diving over the top) and a TE rub block, slide off and be wide open over the middle. Or doing that misdirection flip after faking the handoff in the opposite direction. It's just a race to the front corner of the endzone between a Swift, Zeus, or Cook and a lb or safety. If the D is bringin the house we walk in the endzone. One missed step on D and they're beat. THIS change in our scheme (never predictable, being more aggressive, making adjustments etc) will be the difference in playing for a NC, and actually winning it.

• senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 7 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 12

A simple analogy could be NASCAR. You need the elite skills of the driver combined with a quality machine to win a race. One without the other leaves you short. It sounds like Coley might be an elite OC but hasn’t had the horses under the hood that he’ll have this time around. Hope so.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Always critics, there’s always, always “Debbie Downers” & this DawgNation forum is no exception. James Coley absolutely has the potential to take up the responsibility & actually improve Georgia’s offense. Man, oh man it’ll be so much fun to see that THIS is going to prove them all WRONG!!!! GO DAWGS!!!❤️🖤❤️

@christopherules said:
    Always critics, there’s always, always “Debbie Downers” & this DawgNation forum is no exception. James Coley has the potential to improve Georgia’s offense. Man, oh man it’ll be so much fun to see that THIS is going to prove them all WRONG!!!! GO DAWGS!!!❤️🖤❤️

Absolutely agree @christopherules

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

They had like zero depth. They did deal with a bunch of scholarship stuff and in 2011 recruiting class (seniors on the team) had two 3*'s as the highest commits, one of those not even nationally ranked.

Ok, but he has never once produced an offense on the upper end of what the programs he coached for produced.
    I'm not saying he can't do it here, but just ignoring his track record seems a bit like agreeing to ignore facts.

@christopherules said:
    Always critics, there’s always, always “Debbie Downers” & this DawgNation forum is no exception. James Coley has the potential to improve Georgia’s offense. Man, oh man it’ll be so much fun to see that THIS is going to prove them all WRONG!!!! GO DAWGS!!!❤️🖤❤️

You're a good poster Chris, and we agree on many things, or at least you're not among the consistently negative towards me.
    I'm just seeing what I see, nothing more, nothing less.
    I hope Coley does great things for the offense.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg Thank you for the kind words sir. Like you? I also call things like I see them too. What I feel most certain about? Is that just about 99.99999978% of us (you included sir) all love our DAWGS!!!!

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Ok, but he has never once produced an offense on the upper end of what the programs he coached for produced.
    I'm not saying he can't do it here, but just ignoring his track record seems a bit like agreeing to ignore facts.

Lol WC, Eddie Gran did that at TWO different schools and you didn't like that one either.

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Lol WC, Eddie Gran did that at TWO different schools and you didn't like that one either.

Gran has a terrible passing game at Kentucky. He had Gunner Keil at Cincy, not many programs at that level have a 5 star QB. Even then their passing game wasn't as efficient as ours was this season.
    What would be the point in hiring from the outside if he didn't improve on what we already had ?

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

I agree that Miami team had nowhere near it's best roster ever.
    Having reasons for not producing isn't the same as proving you can produce though.
    It leaves sort of a pig in the poke to evaluate. I'd rather see results where a coach came in and exceeded the results of the previous OC with the same or similar talent, that is something more tangible.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Great hire. .#69 in passing offense will move to at worst .#20 or better under Coley. He will utilize the talent and open up the 0.

Look for the pass to set up the run with ALOT more throws on first down.

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Having reasons for not producing isn't the same as proving you can produce though.
    It leaves sort of a pig in the poke to evaluate. I'd rather see results where a coach came in and exceeded the results of the previous OC with the same or similar talent, that is something more tangible.

Consider this the Coley IPO, you buying?

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Jim Chaney total offense for his 4yrs at Tennessee before he did ok for us.
    National rank:
    52nd
    79th
    104th
    19th (how’s that get in there).

It depends on players.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

What also must be assessed is the personnel. I'm pretty **** sure Miami didn't have the offensive firepower or OL Georgia will deploy in 2019!

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@senorlorenzo said:
    A simple analogy could be NASCAR. You need the elite skills of the driver combined with a quality machine to win a race. One without the other leaves you short. It sounds like Coley might be an elite OC but hasn’t had the horses under the hood that he’ll have this time around. Hope so.

Good analogy but don't forget the "Pitt crew" etc lol. Position coaches are invaluable, and thank God we had a good one to move up. Retaining these guys is imperative, especially for this run we're on. So is filling the shoes of the deaparted/promoted. I haven't seen a list of position coach salaries across the SEC or the other Power 5 but it seems at first glance we are kinda cheap in that area. With the money and resources we have, I wonder why that is. Maybe I'm wrong.... Like I said it just seemed that way at first glance. Maybe we're decently fair.

• Jsteven82Jsteven82 Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

I thought the Coley hire was great and inevitable. He was the OC CKS wanted but had to let him work to prove himself after Al Golden was fired from Miami. I think this has been in the works for awhile. Especially after the scuttlebutt Chaney was put off by having him in the booth. Best attribute to me is he is said to get along with everyone.

And with Chaney thinking he was “in the right” of how he handled Felicia, I say bring on the innovation and deep shots down the field. Zeus will be a 1500 yd runner coupled with a respectable vertical passing game. And we do not lose generational talents like Hazelwood again.

edited January 12

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

I'm invested in The program, for better and worse.
    As an independent stock though, probably not. The market is all about exceeding prior results.

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 295 ✭✭✭ Junior

The pivotal moment in the rose bowl against OU was the play call after tae crowder's awesome heads up play on the squib kick. Who made that play call that put hot rod in position to nail the 55 yarder? The WR coach James Coley. Chaney was in the elevator and had no idea what was happening. If Chaney was still in the booth to make the call do we still win that game?

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

@Acrum21 said:

@WCDawg said:

2014 Miami offense

Total offense - 42nd
    Passing offense - 44th
    Rushing offense - 52nd
    Scoring offense - 62nd.

Yes

• ugaforeverugaforever Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No new IPO's available during the Government shutdown.