2 UTjr starters in the portal.

MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Eli Wolf and Drew Richmond ( TE and OT) entering the portal. Obviously Wanya has already ran a starter off. But with our lack of TE depth adding Wolf would sure help. Thoughts?

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he couldn’t win starting time at UT, I doubt we’d be interested in him..

But I don’t know anything about the kid specifically.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 98 ✭✭✭ Junior

Eli Wolf is a bit small. His brother who is bigger was signed by the Green Bay Packers for the practice squad in October.

For depth at TE, we may need to look for Graduate Transfers the next few years. A quick glance of Rivals did not show many highly ranked Tight Ends in our general geographic footprint the next few years that have not already signed or committed.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:
    If he couldn’t win starting time at UT, I doubt we’d be interested in him..

But I don’t know anything about the kid specifically.

Generally I agree with what you mean. But that's our thinnest spot on the team, and if Charlie went down I don't think we would even have many formations with a TE. Which makes our playbook much smaller. And as mentioned earlier, there's not a lot to choose from among grad transfers. Jmo, but I think getting another TE body would help ALOT. If Rylan wasn't coming off the knee injury I'd be ok. But Fitz is our backup until Goede is back to 100%. 2 TE's is VERY thin.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm wondering, given how often we throw to the TE anyway, can one of our OL guys catch a pass? It would be fun seeing a 320lb tackle rumbling down the field. Can you see a DB trying to tackle him?

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

I’ve been wondering why nobody’s been talking about the new RB, McInstosh playing tight end.

People were saying he’s a big guy. Kind of a fullback type running back. I know there have been plenty of hybrid FB/TE’s in the past. Can McInstosh just not catch a pass?

Seems like a good opportunity for a young guy to get some PT.

But there may be a very good reason no one’s talking about that. I don’t know.

How similar is blocking for a RB and blocking for a TE?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NON- Graduate transfers are not allowed to transfer within the conference and play immediately, even if they are given a waiver by the NCAA.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    NON- Graduate transfers are not allowed to transfer within the conference and play immediately, even if they are given a waiver by the NCAA.

what conference is that - the SEC ?

So what was the talk of the AU TE that was giving UGA a look?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

what conference is that - the SEC ?

Below regards Graduate transfers. I think they also abolished teams being able to block inter conference underclass transfers. Not sure about the waiver though...

"Under new rule, SEC graduates can transfer within the conference and play immediately. SEC graduates can now transfer within the conference and play immediately, after a vote on Friday abolished a previous rule, which required such transfers to sit out one season before regaining eligibility.Jun 1, 2018"

Edit....It also includes transfers from schools facing NCAA sanctions..
    "In addition to the graduate transfer rule, the SEC also passed a rule that allows players on teams facing NCAA sanctions to move within the conference without sitting out. "

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think that the AU TE chose another school before we lost two.

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 431 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MacDawg15 said:
    So what was the talk of the AU TE that was giving UGA a look?

He was a graduate transfer so could have played immediately.

Could also use a 6th O-lineman for blocking purposes. Saw film of the Colts doing that effectively this morning.

Hey @Kirb_your_enthusiasm I'm not 1 of those that minds getting a DV. But we're on here throwing around opinions, philosophies etc. Why not explain what u didn't care for in a post, and contribute to the conversation instead of reading everyone's thoughts and going voting on what you liked hearing and what you didn't.

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cant be picky if you are looking to fill TE depth. At this point. Either you will live with 2 healthy TE and one injured who doesn’t have a timetable to return. Or you can pick up one and he could play multiple years as a transfer.

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 13

Hey Trey Hill played some TE with Fromm at Houston County his freshman year of high school...he was about 255lbs then though but still was effective. He is very athletic.

Not sure we can risk KMac until Zeus is fully healthy....

I think Tongue is a piece we can run out in some TE formations if push comes to shove. If he splits out a LBer, then it is almost as good as a block. He can also chip effectively. The downfall would be any 1 on 1's vs a DE but heck Nauta whiffed plenty of them last year including his TD in the UT game.

@dbrown7494 said:
    Cant be picky if you are looking to fill TE depth. At this point. Either you will live with 2 healthy TE and one injured who doesn’t have a timetable to return. Or you can pick up one and he could play multiple years as a transfer.

Amen @dbrown7494 . WE need those 250 lb guys that can block and catch the ball. Idc where they come from. But until we get Rylan healthy and add some depth with Gilbert and 1 more in the '20 class, it's the weakest spot on the team. Woerner is a hawse, but he can't be out there at all times with TE sets.

@TMazz2009 said:
    Hey Trey Hill played some TE with Fromm at Houston County his freshman year of high school...he was about 255lbs then though but still was effective. He is very athletic.

Not sure we can risk KMac until Zeus is fully healthy....

I think Tongue is a piece we can run out in some TE formations if push comes to shove. If he splits out a LBer, then it is almost as good as a block. He can also chip effectively. The downfall would be any 1 on 1's vs a DE but heck Nauta whiffed plenty of them last year including his TD in the UT game.

Tongue would be a matchup nightmare for lbr's. But jmo but he's such a talented receiver, I wanna see how many plays he makes compared to Blaylock, Holloman, Bush, Robertson etc. He should be h e l l blocking corners out on the perimeter. He's filled out for a freshman wr. Very physical, but I wonder IF he played some TE if it'd be strictly in plays where we're trying to exploit the mismatch he creates. But it's hard to see him blocking a 285 lb DE. JMO tho

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    I'm wondering, given how often we throw to the TE anyway, can one of our OL guys catch a pass? It would be fun seeing a 320lb tackle rumbling down the field. Can you see a DB trying to tackle him?

Netori may have found his opportunity here

• dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 went and looked at the 247 page for Wolf and it had him listed at 6’4 and about 230 a little light for a junior but still believe he could get the job done and be serviceable.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

“Transfer Portal?”

Whoever came up with that name probably goes to Star Wars Conventions in costume.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AndersonDawg said:
    “Transfer Portal?”

Whoever came up with that name probably goes to Star Wars Conventions in costume.

"Take that back Earthling.."

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ Junior

@levander said:
    I’ve been wondering why nobody’s been talking about the new RB, McInstosh playing tight end.

People were saying he’s a big guy. Kind of a fullback type running back. I know there have been plenty of hybrid FB/TE’s in the past. Can McInstosh just not catch a pass?

Seems like a good opportunity for a young guy to get some PT.

But there may be a very good reason no one’s talking about that. I don’t know.

How similar is blocking for a RB and blocking for a TE?

Maybe, Kearis Jackson move to RB. Personally feel like Cade May's will be putting that #42 back on.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If TE depth is your biggest concern heading into the offseason that is great news. Comparatively speaking, Clemson is having to replace their entire D Line and Oklahoma is having to replace a Heisman Trophy winning QB for the 2nd year in a row. Ohio State has to replace Nick Bosa the projected #1 draft pick in 2019 and Dwayne Haskins, a top 10 pick and likely 1st QB off the board. We lost some talented Jrs too to early entry into the draft but with 3 consecutive top 3 finishes in recruiting we'll b more than fine no matter how thin that TE room is.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    If TE depth is your biggest concern heading into the offseason that is great news. Comparatively speaking, Clemson is having to replace their entire D Line and Oklahoma is having to replace a Heisman Trophy winning QB for the 2nd year in a row. Ohio State has to replace Nick Bosa the projected #1 draft pick in 2019 and Dwayne Haskins, a top 10 pick and likely 1st QB off the board. We lost some talented Jrs too to early entry into the draft but with 3 consecutive top 3 finishes in recruiting we'll b more than fine no matter how thin that TE room is.

I don't think Bosa actually played much this past year. Wasn't he injured most or all of the season?

I think he could've played through whatever injury it was but wisely decided to shut it down to protect his future earnings potential. Probably gonna c a lot more of that in the future and I for 1 dont blame any of them.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@MeR3htid said:

I don't think Bosa actually played much this past year. Wasn't he injured most or all of the season?

He “Deandre Baker’d” the majority of Ohio St’s season. It might be what’s best for his future, but if I were an OSU fan then I wouldn’t have much use for him. He should call out his high school on his Monday Night Football profile. Ed Oliver did the same thing to Houston without really announcing it. Likely to be repeated more and more. One day we will probably have someone sit out the Tech game because it is meaningless.

Why risk the guaranteed millions for someone who really only cares about your value to them as someone who entertains them. As soon as u cant entertain them anymore they're out. I dont know how else to say it. You're gonna risk your kids future for that guy?

@dbrown7494 said:
    @MacDawg15 went and looked at the 247 page for Wolf and it had him listed at 6’4 and about 230 a little light for a junior but still believe he could get the job done and be serviceable.

Yea he needs to add some muscle no doubt. But as thin as we are at TE, and probably our best overall blocker AND pass catcher coming off a knee injury we need another body there. I know Tongue moving there as a hybrid has been talked about on here, and he'd be a huge mismatch for a backer or safety. But personally I want to see his talent at WR exploited; especially after losing Hardman, Ridley and Godwin. It will be hard for him to hold his own blocking an SEC caliber DE that weighs 270 or better because getting movement is so important. But he's a strong kid. Not many wr's get to campus over 215.

While we're talking about the TE spot; my suggestion would be alot of 3 and 4 wide, and use Woerner as an H back and blow up lbr's and let our rb's cut off of his block. CU does a great job of this. AU too (to a certain extent.) But I don't see many 2 TE sets. Unless we have one of our really athletic O linemen line up there. Maybe Mays or Cleveland. I know it's just me, but I miss us lining up in the I and having that lead blocker. (Play action also works better under center than in the gun imo.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm half expecting to wake up one morning and read I'm in a portal, I then walk over to a window only to see vast nothingness.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MacDawg15 said:

@dbrown7494 said:

Yea he needs to add some muscle no doubt. But as thin as we are at TE, and probably our best overall blocker AND pass catcher coming off a knee injury we need another body there. I know Tongue moving there as a hybrid has been talked about on here, and he'd be a huge mismatch for a backer or safety. But personally I want to see his talent at WR exploited; especially after losing Hardman, Ridley and Godwin. It will be hard for him to hold his own blocking an SEC caliber DE that weighs 270 or better because getting movement is so important. But he's a strong kid. Not many wr's get to campus over 215.

While we're talking about the TE spot; my suggestion would be alot of 3 and 4 wide, and use Woerner as an H back and blow up lbr's and let our rb's cut off of his block. CU does a great job of this. AU too (to a certain extent.) But I don't see many 2 TE sets. Unless we have one of our really athletic O linemen line up there. Maybe Mays or Cleveland. I know it's just me, but I miss us lining up in the I and having that lead blocker. (Play action also works better under center than in the gun imo.

I think woerner is going to blow up this season. My opinion he has been our most athletic player in the TE room past 3 yrs.

@MeR3htid said:

Lol well I only care about the DAWGS. I won't shed a tear for OU. Rattler will have them competing for the big 12 in year 1. CU still has ALOT of talent defensively in the trenches. It's jmo, but I think the quality depth a team has determines just how good they can be. If Woerner goes down, Fitz is all we have (due to Rylan's knee injury.) He'll definitely shine in '20. But yea the depth is a concern there. Fitz can be a good one with his size mismatch in the red zone especially. But he needs to add some muscle and work on his route running (coming from an option O in hs.) We'll be ok, but it does concern me.