More “4 Wide” and “2 Back” sets?

Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Obviously we are shallow on the TE position with only 1 returning player that has lined up at TE during meaningful time. Fitzpatrick played in 3 games during blowouts and redshirted and Goade is a true freshman coming in.

With a “new” OC and the lack of experience at TE and the wealth of more proven playmakers at RB and WR do you think we will see more hybrid “4 wide” formations or creative 2 back formations? I think we have the personnel to pull it off and plenty of O line talent for them to line up at TE positions on goal line and short yardage.

Discuss.

Comments

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Raiderbeater1 said:
    Obviously we are shallow on the TE position with only 1 returning player that has lined up at TE during meaningful time. Fitzpatrick played in 3 games during blowouts and redshirted and Goade is a true freshman coming in.

With a “new” OC and the lack of experience at TE and the wealth of more proven playmakers at RB and WR do you think we will see more hybrid “4 wide” formations or creative 2 back formations? I think we have the personnel to pull it off and plenty of O line talent for them to line up at TE positions on goal line and short yardage.

Discuss.

Swift and Cook in passing situations sounds awesome if the OL is in peak performance.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't need to change much.other than letting up in the 2nd half of games..

• insertusernamehereinsertusernamehere Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What about Makiya Tongue?

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@insertusernamehere said:

That’s the type of big receiver I want to see lineup inside on 4 wide sets. Charlie Woerner originally was recruited as a big WR in High school and we turned him into a 3 point stance traditional TE. It would be natural for him to stand up. I see big WR lining up inside or second RBs motioning into or out of the backfield.

I feel big 200lb+ WRs would be great inside. Woerner, Tongue, and even Kearis Jackson (over 200+) could all do it. I don’t think Fitzpatrick or Goede have the same athleticism right now.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@insertusernamehere Agree with you that this might have a lot of upside!

• JTMoyniJTMoyni Posts: 40 ✭ Freshman

Any creativity would be welcomed. With our talent it should create matchup issues.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Raiderbeater1 said:

Discuss.

I’d love to see a three WR formation with two TBs on the back field along side the QB.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's thick enough, and that kid can ball. Personally I wanna see him stay at WR. Good playmaker and with his size and physicality, I can see him manhandling corners when we run the ball. I REALLY wanna see us throw some screens and get those gigguns out front of Swift and Cook. WR's like JJ, Robertson, Blaylock, Tongue and Bush etc only need that little crease with a block and they're GONE.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and some screen passes when teams get blitz heavy. (Chaney 🤦🏻‍♂️)

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@MacDawg15 said:

He's thick enough, and that kid can ball. Personally I wanna see him stay at WR. Good playmaker and with his size and physicality, I can see him manhandling corners when we run the ball. I REALLY wanna see us throw some screens and get those gigguns out front of Swift and Cook. WR's like JJ, Robertson, Blaylock, Tongue and Bush etc only need that little crease with a block and they're GONE.

We are talking about WR. Lining them up inside would get him matched on LBs and safeties.

• cory430cory430 Posts: 433 ✭✭✭ Junior

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@Raiderbeater1 said:

Discuss.

I’d love to see a three WR formation with two TBs on the back field along side the QB.

This^

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with you. In a trips look, Tongue, Kearis, Robertson or Blaylock in the slot being covered by a backer or safety depending on what D they're in is a mismatch with guys like Landers, Holloman, and Bush on the outside.