Something to think about when it comes to the offensive system that UGA employs

tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hopefully those of you were quick to trash Jadon Haselwood for going to a more open offense will have a different perspective after reading this.

“The NFL can’t wait...or something. I was talking to one of the juniors who is going pro and he said, “We really don’t have any of those big-name juniors on our squad.” Meaning there were no sure-fire top picks like Roquan Smith was or Andrew Thomas will be. Again, this is from a guy who declared early

He’s right, too. But then. another one of those draft-eligible juniors said, “****Look at the team. We have [D’Andre] Swift, [Brian] Herrien, [James] Cook, and Zamir [White]. We have that o-line, and it’s only getting better. We’re going to run the ball. That’s how we’re built. And it’s great. Just not as much opportunity [for me].”****

So even the idea of being a fifth- or sixth-round draft pick may be preferable to staying and blocking for a running team. Besides, if you go pro, you get paid; if you’re good enough, you pick up a major contract in a few years.

I advised both guys with whom I spoke to ask UGA for insurance policies on injuries or loss of draft status. Georgia has a fund for it, I believe. One looked into it, but still went pro.

Nauta had a decent NFL projection, by the way: late second round through fourth. He will be the first to tell you, though, that those draft grades mean little. I don’t think any of these guys will be drafted in the first three rounds. I don’t believe they think so, either.

So the question I have received countless times is, Why are they going?

For those looking for some sort of culture problem or morale problem, I’m sorry to tell you that as far as I can see, there’s no split locker room. Kirby didn’t kick these guys off the team. They aren’t bad guys who failed their classes or who pour their milk before adding cereal. They’re just guys who had planned to go pro from the start.

I could see all four of these guys testing well at the combine. All are great athletes who have been trained for the NFL by Scott Sinclair in the weight room, and on the field by veteran college coaches. Plus, you have to look at what all four add on special teams. Kirby Smart uses his best players to block and cover. That could be the difference in an earlier round pick for Nauta, Holyfield, and Ridley, plus Mecole’s return skills are great.

Anyway, get used to it. It happens at every school. The better you recruit, the more opportunities you have for guys to go pro early. On the flip side, though, you also are better equipped to replace those guys. Georgia still has the No. 2 recruiting class and could finish No. 1 again.”

Comments

• MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ Junior

Very interesting. If you go back & look at Jones & Cooper numbers at Bama, wasn't the best but they went in the 1st round in a run 1st offense. I think Hazelwood could have been a first round pick in the NFL in our offense. I do agree with what those players said also looking at it on both sides

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this will be our MO until it isn’t. But a great player like Dom Blaylock it JJ Holloman could make it hard to not throw them the ball. Also D-Rob

• tiger_62082tiger_62082 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    I think this will be our MO until it isn’t. But a great player like Dom Blaylock it JJ Holloman could make it hard to not throw them the ball. Also D-Rob

D-ROB, Crumpton, Nauta, Woerner and Godwin sure must've made it hard on Fromm to throw them the ball last season

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@Kasey said:

D-ROB, Crumpton, Nauta, Woerner and Godwin sure must've made it hard on Fromm to throw them the ball last season

Godwin had nice games

DRob came in late, didn’t have the playbook all the way down and needed to learn how to block.

Crumpton didn’t have a place on this team. It was a Juco shot to fill McKenzies shoes (after he left early). Didn’t work out.

Woerner is back and will have a bigger role (hoping )

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@Kasey said:

Godwin had nice games

DRob came in late, didn’t have the playbook all the way down and needed to learn how to block.

Crumpton didn’t have a place on this team. It was a Juco shot to fill McKenzies shoes (after he left early). Didn’t work out.

Ehhh I thought Crumpton had a nice place on the team but wasn't utilized effectively. He had speed, smarts, and maturity.

D ROB came late but surely he could have had more than.... what was it.... one catch and five carries?

Godwin's mom's comments are hard for me to dispute.

All I'm saying is that the quote that I highlighted from a wide receiver or Nauta (who may have been the most underutilized of them all) isn't a surprise to me at all. Knowing what we saw last season and what this original post lays out puts some of these kids' decisions to go elsewhere in the proper perspective. (I don't think Pickens will come here). Just hope Arik Gilbert, Jermaine Burton, Mike Wyman, and Rico Powers Jr see something more from the offense to come aboard in 2020.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@Kasey said:

Godwin had nice games

Ehhh I thought Crumpton had a nice place on the team but wasn't utilized effectively. He had speed, smarts, and maturity.

D ROB came late but surely he could have had more than.... what was it.... one catch and five carries?

All I'm saying is that the quote that I highlighted from a wide receiver or Nauta (who may have been the most underutilized of them all) isn't a surprise to me at all. Knowing what we saw last season and what this original post lays out puts some of these kids' decisions to go elsewhere in the proper perspective. (I don't think Pickens will come here). Just hope Arik Gilbert, Jermaine Burton, Mike Wyman, and Rico Powers Jr see something more from the offense to come aboard in 2020.

All fair points....maybe Coley will have the freedom to throw it down field a little. I feel like a few more shots down field earlier in the game (Godwin v. Vandy) will open up the run game more in the second halves of games

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@Kasey said:

Godwin had nice games

Agree for the most part. And I think that is why Smart was ok moving on without Chaney (even though he tried to keep him but wasn’t going to over pay for it).

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

@MyKeithbb09 said:
    Very interesting. If you go back & look at Jones & Cooper numbers at Bama, wasn't the best but they went in the 1st round in a run 1st offense. I think Hazelwood could have been a first round pick in the NFL in our offense. I do agree with what those players said also looking at it on both sides

Jones, Cooper, Ridley and Jeudy all had 1000 yard seasons at Bama. We've had 1 player have a single 1000 season receiving in our history. I get what Haselwood was looking at, it had nothing to do with Fields.

I really wanted to bring in a OC who would max out our offensive potential.

@tiger_62082 Thoughts on the OC move ?

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 74 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited January 12

The DRob stuff had nothing to do with Chaney and much more to do with Smart and his philosophy of wanting guys to be good blockers at wideout. He wasn't playing much at all and even if he was targeted more, he wouldn't have put up much stats. He also had a concussion and was out for a while in the second half.

I also don't think Crumpton really played much and Godwin seemingly became the 3rd down guy at times in the 2nd half instead of a main dude.

DRob's blocking ability was the type of stuff I thought led to bizarre decision making of who to start at wideout in 2016, but after that year, it got cleared up, and it wasn't really that big of a deal this year as the talent was better at wideout.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

D Rob wasnt on the team in 2016 sir. 😎😎😎

edited January 12

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @tiger_62082 Thoughts on the OC move ?

Two parts to think about: I was okay with moving on from Chaney. Didn’t like promoting Coley, who wasn’t good as a coordinator at Miami. It’s a big risk and a lazy hire. People will say that Jimbo made a play for him last year BUT Jimbo would have still called the plays as he did at FSU when Coley was his OC there so it’s apples and oranges. Thought being how big the position is and how much interest it generated we could have gotten someone more proven who would have moved this thing forward and achieved more balance. Mike Gundy found his last OC (who just got a big money move to Ohio State) by looking in the newspaper and he’s had a great track record of identifying successful offensive coordinators. When Dabo Swinney was facing a need to take that next step, he fired his OC and brought in a successful Texas high school coach in Chad Morris & the rest is history. More than anything, I think it represented a missed opportunity. Hope Coley does well though, that’s all we can do at this point.

@tiger_62082 well said and solid points there

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

@GeorgiaGirl said:
    The DRob stuff had nothing to do with Chaney and much more to do with Smart and his philosophy of wanting guys to be good blockers at wideout. He wasn't playing much at all and even if he was targeted more, he wouldn't have put up much stats. He also had a concussion and was out for a while in the second half.

I also don't think Crumpton really played much and Godwin seemingly became the 3rd down guy at times in the 2nd half instead of a main dude.

DRob's blocking ability was the type of stuff I thought led to bizarre decision making of who to start at wideout in 2016, but after that year, it got cleared up, and it wasn't really that big of a deal this year as the talent was better at wideout.

This past season was DRob's first in the red and black. He was at Cal before that.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Thanks. What are your thoughts on it?

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Georgia is known to be a draw for RBs for the reasons identified in the original post and what we know. With that said, the lack of balance and the same thing that attracts elite running backs is a repellent for top pass catchers (5 star variety that everyone says they wanted after seeing how Ross carved up Alabama). I hope Coley “changes the game” by altering this reality. No one’s going to outAlabama Alabama and in life you have to evolve.

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I’m wait and see but I definitely want to open it up more. We seemed to run the same handful of plays last couple years.

As mentioned in another post, why not get a couple 3 wide, 2 back sets ? Or a darn screen pass every now and again.

I’m really hoping Kirby gets Coley to go visit with some innovative offensive minds to really work on his playcalling craft.

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

I’m wait and see but I definitely want to open it up more. We seemed to run the same handful of plays last couple years.

As mentioned in another post, why not get a couple 3 wide, 2 back sets ? Or a darn screen pass every now and again.

I’m really hoping Kirby gets Coley to go visit with some innovative offensive minds to really work on his playcalling craft.

Let’s get the TEs more involved, too. Helps to keep defenses honest by not loading up on the run.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Woerner being our only TE with any real game experience, we need to get more innovative with our formations. I think the 3 WR and 2 RB set could be effective, especially if at least one of the RBs is good at pass protection and picking up blitzes. Will be interesting to see if our offense changes much this year with Coley calling plays. Hopefully we’ll use the RBs more in the passing game and be better prepared for blitzing defenses.

@coastaldawg said:
    With Woerner being our only TE with any real game experience, we need to get more innovative with our formations. I think the 3 WR and 2 RB set could be effective, especially if at least one of the RBs is good at pass protection and picking up blitzes. Will be interesting to see if our offense changes much this year with Coley calling plays. Hopefully we’ll use the RBs more in the passing game and be better prepared for blitzing defenses.

Cook is made for catching the ball out of the backfield and going upfield.

• JesupdawgJesupdawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don’t care how “built” you are around running the ball, elite defenses will stack the box and force you to do something different. With Fromm in his third season, I can’t imagine the offense not throwing the ball at least 30-35% of the time.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Jesupdawg said:
    I don’t care how “built” you are around running the ball, elite defenses will stack the box and force you to do something different. With Fromm in his third season, I can’t imagine the offense not throwing the ball at least 30-35% of the time.

That’s about the ratio used in 17. It will be at least that.

• RoyGaffRoyGaff Posts: 23 ✭ Freshman

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Agree for the most part. And I think that is why Smart was ok moving on without Chaney (even though he tried to keep him but wasn’t going to over pay for it).

Coach Smart is an employee, he doesn't pay anyone.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@tiger_62082 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Let’s get the TEs more involved, too. Helps to keep defenses honest by not loading up on the run.

I agree. Both of them. :)

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

I don’t think any of these guys will be drafted in the first three rounds. I don’t believe they think so, either.

I disagree. Everything published indicates Baker will go in the first round and some are even saying Top 10. Personally, I don't get the concept to go early and get selected in the 5th or 6th round, when you can stay another year and significantly improve your draft grade. IMO Ridley and Hardman would have seen more balls thrown their way in2019 and with Coley as OC that would have been a guarantee. When you go up the draft ladder the money is significantly higher, therefore it takes a lot longer to make up that financial ground, so it's more rewarding to get drafted higher instead of settling for lower rounds.