Mullen and Gators are delusional

LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Second best in the SEC??

@KevinBrockwayG1
Florida football coach Dan Mullen addressing crowd before Tennessee game, "What we did last year was get 10 wins, No, 6 in the country, second best in the SEC." Says this upcoming year standard should be to be best team, win championship.

Comments

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well....they weren't "second best in the SEC" if that tells you anything........

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, his quotes are great locker room material. Keep them coming!

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He was just being clumsy and made himself look kinda stoopid temporarily. The Gators did do very well last year. No idea why they’re not recruiting better. Seems like Mullen needs to hire some outside help to teach his program how to recruit.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander said:
    He was just being clumsy and made himself look kinda stoopid temporarily. The Gators did do very well last year. No idea why they’re not recruiting better. Seems like Mullen needs to hire some outside help to teach his program how to recruit.

You would think that they should be taking in the benefits of recruiting with Miami and FSU having bad years........again

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@levander said:

You would think that they should be taking in the benefits of recruiting with Miami and FSU having bad years........again

I didn’t know Miami and FSU we’re having bad years. Quick glance down the 247 rankings for the state of Florida shows less than half the players are going to in-state schools:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

FU’s highest ranked kid is #18. **** that’s low.

• BiggerBadDawgBiggerBadDawg Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@levander said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@levander said:

I didn’t know Miami and FSU we’re having bad years. Quick glance down the 247 rankings for the state of Florida shows less than half the players are going to in-state schools:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=FL

Do I detect sarcasm? Bahaha, I was just saying they don’t have a excuse as to why they can’t recruit Florida better. I did see where UGA has 2 and possibly 3 with Elam of their top 10 and Bama has 4 of top 10. We shall leave them the crumbs!

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

Mullen spoke accurately, they finished ranked ahead of us.
    They showed up and earned it against Michigan, our guys pouted and lost to Texas.
    We'll have to contend with a far better UF program than we have in recent years.

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@levander said:

@BiggerBadDawg said:

@levander said:

Do I detect sarcasm? Bahaha, I was just saying they don’t have a excuse as to why they can’t recruit Florida better. I did see where UGA has 2 and possibly 3 with Elam of their top 10 and Bama has 4 of top 10. We shall leave them the crumbs!

Yeah, and I was saying the 247 Florida player rankings back up your comments.

I was agreeing with you.

@WCDawg said:
    Mullen spoke accurately, they finished ranked ahead of us.
    They showed up and earned it against Michigan, our guys pouted and lost to Texas.
    We'll have to contend with a far better UF program than we have in recent years.

SEC rankings aren’t determined by national rankings. Never have been, never will be.

I can see how he probably meant what you said. But that’s not what he said.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 12

We deserve where we finished.
    Fans and team alike acted too good to show up in The Sugar Bowl, this while we still haven't won a **** thing yet.
    We're the #4 team in the SEC this season, we earned that honor by being arrogant and pouting.

• LincolnParkDawgLincolnParkDawg Posts: 92 ✭✭✭ Junior

There is no doubt FL is very much improved. There is also no doubt that we are better than them. We beat them in Jax. Wasn’t really close. I recall some Gators saying they were the better team afterwards. I will say this much for Mullen, he’s stoking their fan base and it’s going to be that much more fun to beat them this year. Again.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What I should’ve said earlier...

“Gonna use your bulldog mouth Dan-o better hope your chihuahua a$$ can back it up”

• Winston1972Winston1972 Posts: 93 ✭✭✭ Junior

3rd best team in the SEC East, 7th best team in the SEC. end of year rankings mean squat, we rolled them in Jacksonville, and will do it again this year.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thing about it though is Fla/Ga is not gonna b played on paper. You're not gonna beat them because u have x # of blue chippers more than them. The 2019 edition of the Georgia/Fla game is gonna b about the Jimmies and Joes but it will also b about coaching and who wants it more. U dont think Mullen can craft a gameplan around Felipe Franks that could confuse and exploit our STILL young defense? U dont think Florida is gonna bring a strong defense and credible running game to the party? U dont think Fla may want it more?Its way too early but I got the Dawgs winning a 31-30 squeaker.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Muffingod said:
    In all fairness, what else is he supposed to say? That they’re just going to let us walk all over them?

That said, I do appreciate him putting quotable material out. Will make it easier to find things to play over the sound system and put on the board during game week.

Could have told the truth and said the 2nd best team in the east. I swear I hope we pour it on in '19. That big head's writing a check his a s s can't cash.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MeR3htid said:
    Thing about it though is Fla/Ga is not gonna b played on paper. You're not gonna beat them because u have x # of blue chippers more than them. The 2019 edition of the Georgia/Fla game is gonna b about the Jimmies and Joes but it will also b about coaching and who wants it more. U dont think Mullen can craft a gameplan around Felipe Franks that could confuse and exploit our STILL young defense? U dont think Florida is gonna bring a strong defense and credible running game to the party? U dont think Fla may want it more?Its way too early but I got the Dawgs winning a 31-30 squeaker.

Your right thats why the game is played. But in the end the most talented teams win 9 out of 10 times. Thats why there is such a big emphasis on recruiting.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He said, "finished ranked No 6 in the country - 2nd best in the SEC"

That's not real hard to read and comprehend. The No 6 ranking IS, in fact, 2nd best in the SEC.

Mullen and the Gators get to pump their chest. If you don't like it then remember that everyone said the Sugar Bowl was a meaningless bowl game. Turns out you folks who said that are the only ones who think that way - other than our players who sat out and/or phoned it in, of course.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Three teams in the SEC East beat the Gators and beat them handily.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What year was that? Okay good. Now what year is this? I know a lot of Dawg fans wanna pencil in Fla as a guaranteed W but trust me Florida ain't gonna b nobodys pushover and we'll have to bring our A game for sure. See Texas Longhorns, 2018 Sugar Bowl.

• WtkWtk Posts: 25 ✭ Freshman

@DogsNotDawgs said:

And Texas beat Ga. Handily.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MeR3htid said:
    What year was that? Okay good. Now what year is this? I know a lot of Dawg fans wanna pencil in Fla as a guaranteed W but trust me Florida ain't gonna b nobodys pushover and we'll have to bring our A game for sure. See Texas Longhorns, 2018 Sugar Bowl.

If Florida had a QB to run his system they would be really tough, but he’ll have to step up his recruiting if he’s going to last in G-ville. One thing is that i dont ever expect us to enter Jax with the mindset we went in to NOLA.

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Wtk said:

@DogsNotDawgs said:

Ah, the transitive approach.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Even a blind squirrel can come in 2nd place in the East!

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Wtk said:

@DogsNotDawgs said:

Ah, the transitive approach.

Doesn't work does it. Remember what Berman always said "that's why they play the games"

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    He said, "finished ranked No 6 in the country - 2nd best in the SEC"

That's not real hard to read and comprehend. The No 6 ranking IS, in fact, 2nd best in the SEC.

Mullen and the Gators get to pump their chest. If you don't like it then remember that everyone said the Sugar Bowl was a meaningless bowl game. Turns out you folks who said that are the only ones who think that way - other than our players who sat out and/or phoned it in, of course.

I agree with your point about the sugar bowl actually having meaning but quoting the coaches poll and acting like it’s the end all be all in college football is a bit silly and VERY narrow in scope. That’s more my take away from all this. He is acting like the official SEC standings don’t exist.