Will Clemson Return to Championship Form

MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 446 ✭✭✭ Junior

Clemson had an amazing year and they'll remain as a strong Championship contender for next year. But don't underestimate their player losses due to graduation or Jrs leaving early. By my count, they're losing four defensive line starters, three of which are projected as 1st rounders. You just can't easily replace that kind of talent.
I'm sure they have very good players set to take over, based on how they've recruited the last few years. But gone are the days when they could cherry pick who they want. 2018: 17 commits with five 5-stars. 2019: 27 commits with only two five-stars. Eleven 4-stars and fourteen 3-stars. That's good for sixth place. A strong class no doubt, but certainly not loaded with the elite talent they're use to.
Also they're losing two additional starters on defense. A Jr LB and a Jr. CB.

Comments

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wouldn’t write them off too quickly. They’re bringing back everyone on offense except Renfro and 1 offensive lineman. They should get through their ACC schedule unscathed and their only tough non-conference games will be Texas A&M and South Carolina. I’ll be surprised if they don’t make the playoffs, and by them their young defense will have gotten some experience. They might be like Oklahoma, good enough on offense to overcome a defense that gives up more points than you would like.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

considering the shambles that the ACC is in right now, they have 12 games to get it straightened out

• SaltDawg1515SaltDawg1515 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophomore

Clemson will be playing in the NC next season.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Will Clemson return to form? 2 word answer: Trevor Lawrence.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They are, by far, the best team in the ACC. I think their offense will be just as good as this year. Will have to wait until next season to see if they can develop a NC quality defense with so many good defensive players moving on.

• brentwilsonbrentwilson Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Wouldn’t write them off too quickly. They’re bringing back everyone on offense except Renfro and 1 offensive lineman. They should get through their ACC schedule unscathed and their only tough non-conference games will be Texas A&M and South Carolina. I’ll be surprised if they don’t make the playoffs, and by them their young defense will have gotten some experience. They might be like Oklahoma, good enough on offense to overcome a defense that gives up more points than you would like.

look at who they lose on defense

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 13

@brentwilson said:

@coastaldawg said:

look at some of the studs they have brought in at those positions the last couple of classes.they have serious talent in guys like Xavier Thomas, KJ Henry, Andrew Booth, etc.

And Clemson plays a ton of guys each game. they play 60-70 kids almost every game, sometimes in the 80s. Alabama plays 45-50 each game in comparison. so while they might be new starters they have plenty of game experience

• muttdogsuxmuttdogsux Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

who cares about "recruiting" championships like Georgia does. sure yall may be getting more blue chippers than Clemson, but what has Georgia done in the last 38 years with the talent yall have had. yall realize Dabo's staff is extremely picky with offers and dont take into account digital stars whatsoever right?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@muttdogsux said:
    who cares about "recruiting" championships like Georgia does. sure yall may be getting more blue chippers than Clemson, but what has Georgia done in the last 38 years with the talent yall have had. yall realize Dabo's staff is extremely picky with offers and dont take into account digital stars whatsoever right?

Your user name is has more letters in it than your IQ......

• donmdonm Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:

@muttdogsux said:

His IQ has letters in it? Is that a Mensa thing or something ? I see 2 letters in it - I and Q? Is this a trick question?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@ghostofuga1 said:

@muttdogsux said:

His IQ has letters in it? Is that a Mensa thing or something ? I see 2 letters in it - I and Q? Is this a trick question?

Well, if there are 10 letters, there must be 0 numbers........

• GahitmanGahitman Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

@tfk_fanboy said:

@brentwilson said:

@coastaldawg said:

look at some of the studs they have brought in at those positions the last couple of classes.they have serious talent in guys like Xavier Thomas, KJ Henry, Andrew Booth, etc.

And Clemson plays a ton of guys each game. they play 60-70 kids almost every game, sometimes in the 80s. Alabama plays 45-50 each game in comparison. so while they might be new starters they have plenty of game experience

I read something one time (can't remember who said it or exact quote) that went something like this, things are never as bad as they seem or as good as they seemed! I think this logic could and should be applied to the National Title game! People are making Clemson out to be a team that can just over come anything and are unbeatable. If I remember correctly the same thing was being said about Bama as they ran through the SEC this year, we see how that turned out! People are already saying Trevor Lawrence the greatest and Clemson going to win 2 more Titles while he is there, I don't buy that! Look at our game against Bama in SECCG and Fromm's numbers. Fromm's numbers and Trevor's numbers are very comparable, Trevor threw for 50 more yrds and 1 more TD!!! His numbers don't equal the blow out they gave Bama, if it did then we should've still beat Bama with Fromm's numbers..... easily (don't forget we had better rush numbers too)! I believe (as we are now seeing with coaches leaving) Bama got complacent (players), coaches got distracted getting calls about vacancies on other teams, Clemson was mad about last year's game and hearing all the hype about Bama this year which got them really focused and it equaled a perfect storm.......for Bama! This Title game was more about our inability than Clemson's ability! We had a chance to go up 31 to 14 in the 3rd before hotrod missed the fg! In all reality we too should've beat Bama like Clemson did, but no! We did what UGA always does, we fell apart!

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fromm is an outstanding College QB to b sure. But Lawrence is 1 that doesn't come around but once every 10 years or so. Clemson is losing a lot on defense from their National Title winning squad but they bring back the most important component of that defensive squad,Brent Venables. Trevor Lawrence, Travis Ettiene, Justyn Ross, Tee Higgins, and the Rodgers kid will make sure to score 50+ points per game to keep Clemson undefeated going into the CFB Playoffs. Anybody thinking that Clemson is gonna take even half a step back from this years stardard of play r kidding themselves or they just haven't been paying attention to what Dabo has been building for a while now. By the time the CFB Playoffs roll around Clemson will b every bit the formidable foe as they were this last go round. Now Clemson can b beaten by a team like Georgia possessing of an experienced Jr QB that doesn't make make many mistakes being protected by the nations best O Line and amply supported by a stellar RB stable led by Heisman Darkhorse DeAndre Swift. And thats not all. Georgia will probably also field a top 5 defense nationally that should c its sack totals increase exponentially with the flood of 5 and 4 star edge rushers at their disposal which is gonna b important in dealing with T.L. and his receivers. Georgias special teams units should once again b a strength with the return of Rodrigo Blankenship and Jake Camarda back. Georgia has several high end candidates for the return jobs as well. Georgias secondary and WR rooms r both brimming with primetime talent and experience. No excuses next year man! None.