Eli Wolf

Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 61 ✭ Freshman

Looks like the dawgs have positioned themselves well to land Eli Wolf which would be a nice 1 year rental

Comments

• OldSaltyDawgFanOldSaltyDawgFan Posts: 201 ✭✭✭ Junior

.....keep them doggies rolling!

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure would be nice. Wouldn't have to worry about burning a scholarship next year and we can focus on a couple new prospects for 2020

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That would at least keep the injury risk down a little.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks @dawgOf2002 alt!

• DawgforeverDawgforever Posts: 283 ✭✭✭ Junior

So if we got wolf without having to use a scholarship do we hope Elam and Pickens or Richards and give plumlee his scholarship ?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Dawgforever said:
    So if we got wolf without having to use a scholarship do we hope Elam and Pickens or Richards and give plumlee his scholarship ?

Wolf would take one of the 85 scholarships but wouldn't take a 2020 scholly as he would be gone - my understanding.

Wolf would make 84 total but wouldn't count against 2019 or 2020 annual limit of 25. That leaves 1 plus any others that transfer or whatever before the freshmen report early summer.

• Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 61 ✭ Freshman

@Dawgforever said:

Pickens is going juco he won’t be eligible this year

• FirePlugDawgFirePlugDawg Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 said:

@FirePlugDawg said:

@Dawgforever said:

Wolf would take one of the 85 scholarships but wouldn't take a 2020 scholly as he would be gone - my understanding.

Wolf would make 84 total but wouldn't count against 2019 or 2020 annual limit of 25. That leaves 1 plus any others that transfer or whatever before the freshmen report early summer.

I was addressing this comment

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    Wolfe would be a near perfect scenario. One year rental from a guy who played both TE and FB (in the SEC), depth. And it won’t bog down scholly for 2020 (when we should be in the market for 1-2 big time TEs)

As to how many scholly's are available, it would depend on when Wolf signs in. That is when it counts, not before.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At some point, a Georgia player will be a grad transfer within the conference, and that is really going to upset some people. Going to play for a conference rival is worse than dating your best friend's ex-wife.

• YK_DAWG24YK_DAWG24 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

So from all the up votes in this thread is it to ask/say that we rather have Wolfe over Seither? I would rather take Wolfe plug and play (block) senior that has plenty of SEC experience and his space free's up the following year. Hopefully that gives us a "better" shot with 2020 5-star ATH Gilbert who wants to play TE

• PigeonsPigeons Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker said:
    At some point, a Georgia player will be a grad transfer within the conference, and that is really going to upset some people. Going to play for a conference rival is worse than dating your best friend's ex-wife.

• ThisDawgThisDawg Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Pigeons said:

@Bankwalker said:

Different yo

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol I remember mentioning a couple weeks ago about the potential to land Wolf and Cager. Not too sure about Cager, but I really think Wolf could help us out alot.

Feom Griffith’s article: “The 6-foot-4, 236-pound Wolf would seem to be the sort of impact player Georgia needs at the position”

Reality check: Dude only had 30 yards receiving last year, and couldn’t crack the starting lineup playing on 3 of the worst performing Tennessee teams in history. He might contribute but “impact player” would be a huge surprise. I’d call it a move to provide a little depth and nothing more.

• AaronUTAaronUT Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Bankwalker said:
    Feom Griffith’s article: “The 6-foot-4, 236-pound Wolf would seem to be the sort of impact player Georgia needs at the position”

Reality check: Dude only had 30 yards receiving last year, and couldn’t crack the starting lineup playing on 3 of the worst performing Tennessee teams in history. He might contribute but “impact player” would be a huge surprise. I’d call it a move to provide a little depth and nothing more.

This. Tennessee's senior non-starting TE doesn't seem like a Georgia "impact."

He was a speedy receiving TE and Pruitt wasn't impressed with his lack of blocking skills. Hopefully UGA can do more with him than UT could.

@AaronUT said:

@Bankwalker said:

Pruitt wasn't impressed with his lack of blocking skills

If that’s true then he wont play much for Kirby either

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SEC elder-statesman depth for a one year rental. Not a bad move if looked at that way.

(Most grad transfers are never going to be game changers.)

• FuzzyDawgFuzzyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    SEC elder-statesman depth for a one year rental. Not a bad move if looked at that way.

Agree! Also keeps 2020 recruits happy with depth in the TE room and thusly playing time!

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 178 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

First off, I wish I could have had such a below average career playing college football all those years ago. I might have been able to wind up making big money coaching or broadcasting, although I have enjoyed solving crimes and putting bad guys away.

I looked at the Transfer Portal, and I really don't see any other options for a TE with immediate eligibility.

The downside of recruiting elite players are some leaving early for the NFL and others who come from other parts of the country when there is a history of transferring somewhere closer to home for one reason or another.

UGA had prepared the past year or two for the possibility of Nauta leaving early. The problem of course is Ford leaving to go closer to home and Goede getting hurt.

Recruiting Transfers is different than recruiting players out of high school. Sure you can take a chance bringing in an elite freshman player who has some red flags of someone who might be a malcontent. There is a lot of upside reward potential vs the risk of the player fitting in.

In our situation with the TE, it is critical to recruit someone who is high character, intelligent enough to learn the system quickly and understanding their role on the team. I assume Wolf is being told that if it is basically a tie with someone else on the depth chart, that the younger player will get first priority to play to gain experience for the future. If Wolfe understands that, then he is a good risk. If you recruit someone who left a school simply because they were upset with playing time and other things, you take a risk of the player simply mailing it in or leaving the team in the middle of the season if they are not happy.

I looked and Tennessee has seven returning underclassman at TE and two more coming in this fall. That is important because it reduces the chance of Wolf changing his mind and staying if there is an injury or two this spring.

For our situation, I think this offer is a no brainer. We can continue to recruit Seither at TE, but also be able to focus on other needs if we get Wolf in the fold for this season.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not great numbers but who’s to say Wolf can’t be coached up and become a good TE for the Dawgs. Bring him on, get the most for the year all while going after some good recruits.

• dawgs43dawgs43 Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Jalen Hurts will be

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgs43 said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

Jalen Hurts will be

Correct, that’s why I said most.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bump... Good grab for an experience TE on a year "rental."

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am a little scared about what Hurts will be able to do in a pass-happy system that looks taylor made for his skill-set. Basically a much bigger version of OU's last two QBs.

• NomadDawgNomadDawg Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

The DawgNation article on Wolf mentioned that he caught all 5 catchable passes this year and everything thrown his way in the Spring game. My question, with him being a reliable catcher, why wasn't he targeted more? Was it because Tenn's OL needed an extra body to keep the defense out of the pocket, he couldn't shed defenders due to poor route running skills, or just poor offensive schemes? Hopefully we'll have a healthy and productive year from Goede and Woerner, but it'll be interesting to see what we're getting in this rental Dawg.

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Did you see what we did to their QBs? There lies the answer.