S&P+ ranks returning production

Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited February 1 in Football

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/31/18204093/2019-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

UGA comes in at #69. The part I found the most interesting is the different values based on the position groups with the top 5 being: #1 defensive back tackles #2- defensive back passes defended #3- overall tackles #4-overall passes defended and #5- receiving yards. The only one we really took a hit in would be the receiving yards where we lost over 65% of our production as well as overall passes defended by 30%.

Other notable teams on the list:
2 Tennessee
15 LSU
19 GASO B)
26 Florida
45 South Carolina
53 Clemson
63 Alabama
84 Auburn
97 Notre Dame
102 Texas A&M

LSU could be a pretty scary team next year with everything they are bringing back along with a pretty darn good recruiting class, I wouldn't sleep on UF either, as much as I hate to say it. Tennessee brings back a ton but they were still pretty awful but they should improve by a couple of wins.

Comments

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennessee could be pretty good next year, in the 8 win range. Between returning player and the transfers they have coming in. They also get a bye before UGA and it is a home game for them. And often see a big jump from year 1 to year 2 for coaches.

I am thankful we don't play LSU next season in the regular season.

Florida could be tough. I feel they overachieved some last season. And while there is a bye for both teams prior to playing the road UF has leading up to it is tougher then what UGA has. That will be our second bye and their first. They will have already played Auburn and LSU prior to UGA. For UGA the schedule really heats up starting with that Florida game.

Looking at those S&P+ numbers the one thing I think can help UGA is the biggest loss, the receiving yards, is the one place we are best suited to restock and possibly even improve on. There will be a lot of guys who have time in the program, who have shown potential, stepping in to fill those yards

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tfk_fanboy said:
    Tennessee could be pretty good next year, in the 8 win range. Between returning player and the transfers they have coming in. They also get a bye before UGA and it is a home game for them. And often see a big jump from year 1 to year 2 for coaches.

I am thankful we don't play LSU next season in the regular season.

Florida could be tough. I feel they overachieved some last season. And while there is a bye for both teams prior to playing the road UF has leading up to it is tougher then what UGA has. That will be our second bye and their first. They will have already played Auburn and LSU prior to UGA. For UGA the schedule really heats up starting with that Florida game.

Looking at those S&P+ numbers the one thing I think can help UGA is the biggest loss, the receiving yards, is the one place we are best suited to restock and possibly even improve on. There will be a lot of guys who have time in the program, who have shown potential, stepping in to fill those yards

I think Godwin and Ridley are going to be the hardest ones to replace. Terry was so reliable but just had trouble being 100% healthy and Ridleys physicality kept him on the field for every situation. I think Robertson can step up as our deep threat and Holloman needs to take that next step as a big physical guy. We have the pieces to do it and most importantly an experienced QB with a strong line and run game. I think we should be fine.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This one fails the sniff test for me. I’ll take Fromm and our O line over most anybody next year. He will find receivers and they will be raving about them next year. UGA has 4 and 5 star receivers oozing from its pores, and they are just waiting to excel on the field. This system ignores replacement talent. I think we will have significantly better receiving stats next year than ‘18. #69? Nah. I would say top 5% on offensive production, and top 10% on defensive production for the Dawgs. The combo will be deadly for opponents.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/31/16950222/2018-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

2018 equivalent - UGA 95; Bama 103; Oklahoma 111; ND 20; Clem 28; OSU 84. Top 6 pre-bowl all over the place so ignore. MSU #1 finished 7-6

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/11/18219163/2019-college-football-rankings-projections

The next part of the equation for Connelly. With the returning production matched with our recruiting.. only one team is in better shape going into next season. I'll give you one guess who it is