De-recruitment a thing of the past

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With the changing landscape of both college football and the young men in our society, I believe that it will be harder to de-recruit these young men and keep their heads grounded.

whats to keep them from wanting to transfer after their first rough practice?

not getting playingtime because you can’t learn the speed of the game or playbook... transfer...

the feeding-frenzy that is post season transfer portal will become even crazier.

I don’t mind the ability to transfer... the coaches can... maybe the solution all along was the opposite: make the coaches sit out a year if they transfer instead of making the players immediately eligible like the coaches.

Comments

• bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t know if that’s the answer, I think they should limit the players reasons for transferring. And if you don’t meet the criteria you can still transfer but you have to sit for a year. What is never talked about is the buyouts that the coaches have these players don’t have those buyouts and some are a lot of money. If your coach leaves for a new job sure transfer but some of the reasons these kids are using are a little far fetched.

• DawgNutDawgNut Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This already happened with Bru McCoy transferring from USC to Texas just a few weeks after early enrolling. And I noticed that he was counted towards UT's 2019 class.

• donmdonm Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

agree. One is love of family and the other seems to be more like a comfort zone kind of thing.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 116 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yep. Fields transferred because he wasn't good enough to knock out Fromm, and he said as much in his last interview when he described the transfer as a "business decision". I just don't believe Ford had the same me-first motivations (and don't get me wrong, you have to be selfish sometimes to succeed in this life) and DN respects Ford for that reason.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your assumptions are terribly wrong. Nothing was being compared. Didnt mention Ford. Wasnt thinking of Ford. Didnt mention Fields. Wasnt thinking of Fields. Cram the comments about “my anger”

There’s nothing wrong with transferring to be closer to home, but the waivers being pursued are basically on the basis of “homesick” being a legitimate illness. Directly stated or not, that’s what a lot of the hardship waivers add up to. Homesick = Hardship.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The one year wait is key to keeping the transfers from being a frenzy. Anyone willing to sit out a year probably has a legitimate reason for transferring. I do like the graduate transfer concept. Those guys have done their time, graduated, and likely have one last year and deserve to play their one last year of college football.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Eliminate coaches buyouts is a great step and a good message to send to players. If a coach and school sign for 5 years make em both obligated to fulfill the commitment.

edited February 8

Well then I guess my assumptions are wrong, but the only player I've heard attached to homesickness was Ford. I do think most players are transferring for playing time and opportunity, not homesickness.

And FWIW, I think Kirby is young and smart enough to see the changing landscape of college football and the mindset of these kids coming up, and will recruit the guys that truly do care about their team over themselves. There are plenty of kids out there that fit the bill.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd say this unless a person is taking a promotion. If I'm an OC and I am getting looks to a HC job then I should be able to take that job. Also if they made coaches stay the length of the contract then coaches would just start signing year to year deals.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 8

Thank you. @Bankwalker is being mean to me and my poor little snowflake heart can't take it so I need all the support I can get.

He's stuck backpedaling now because he got called out on his useless blanket "wahhhh millenials are snowflakes" comment.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lord forbid a kid says he's transferring because of homesickness since he's not quite ready to deal with a loved one dying

• mantis_toboggan69mantis_toboggan69 Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

For someone so averse to this “snowflake culture”, you seem to have been offended quite easily

D-Rob, Aubrey Solomon - there’s actually quite a few who are transferring to get closer to home, and I believe they have and will, essentially, use “homesick” as a hardship. In the past this would have never been given credibility, but now we’ve taught the current generation that ANY hardship is unnecessary and the psychologists tend to support the notion. This is similar to the “emotional support animals” people take on airplanes.

Zero back peddaling taking place on my end.

^^^^^^^ alt handle for one of the libtards ^^^^^^^^

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin There’s a lot of merit to what you are saying. However, (like anything & everything else) the pendulum swings far in both directions before finally resting somewhere in the middle. Yes, it’s looking like it’s going to be the “Wild, Wild, West” for a while in the immediate future. I believe that the student athletes will learn in the medium, to long term? The grass isn’t always greener elsewhere. We will all have to see this play itself out across the country. I don’t believe in the long run it will remain this volatile of a situation for all parties involved. The players (& families too) will all learn through this about “be careful what you wish for”, because as most of us have learned you just might actually get it!!!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

College is about becoming a better person. This running from the first sign of adversity going on is not going to better anyone's lives.

• LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 8

D-Rob transferred back due to his mother being ill. I’m not sure whether he was homesick or not, but that situation would certainly make me homesick. Ford’s concern seems to be similar- he has someone in his life who was highly influential, whose time is short, and who he (Ford) would like to share this season of his life with. That’s hard to do when Ford’s in Georgia, and the other guy is in Illinois.

I have no problem with either of those scenarios, and I think waivers for those situations should be granted as promptly as possible.

100% agree. That's why if Fields is actually granted a waiver... I really can't express how angry I would be over that. They must enforce the sit out rule very strictly. They probably shouldn't of even given D Rob his waiver last year. Not that he needed it.

• loxahatcheedawgloxahatcheedawg Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'd just make the first year after transfer an automatic redshirt for everyone but grads. Players can choose to transfer or play now.

edited February 8

Yes, these two scenarios are practically the same. Being allowed to bring a dog on an airplane is just SO much worse than taking anxiety pills or suffering panic attacks, which, by the way, are a well-documented condition by the psychologists you are discrediting. It's possible in your infinite intelligence and wisdom that you don't know everything there is to know.

Your idiocy on that matter aside, are you seriously trying to take the stance that an 18 year old kid shouldn't be allowed to transfer and play football near a dying relative? For all you know, D-Rob's grandmother is the most important familial figure in his life. Imagine yourself moving across the country at 18 years old, away from everything familiar, and then BAM life hits you in the face. I guess you're just tougher than the rest of us.

edited February 8

Everyone has an elderly relative and someone in the family who is sick. If not, then just claim you have one to gain eligibility. The NCAA isnt going to ask for a 3rd party’s medical records. This isnt much different than the box to be opened if they grant a waiver to a player for a hypothetical racism claim.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm pretty sure they can't ask for them due to HIPAA

I kind of agree. Everyone is gonna know someone that's sick just about. It's fine if you want to transfer back, but to curb abuse the sit out rule should still be enforced. I mean if they're that distraught they shouldn't be playing anyway right?

It’s only a 2 hr time differential between driving Athens to Savannah and flying from LA to Savannah. It’s just one example but Im not sure what has really been remedied. In the case of Solomon, he will be applying for a waiver and is still a LONG ways from Leesburg. .