NCAA grants Fields immediate eligibility

bobbybobby Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

From Stewart Mandel : "The NCAA has granted Justin Fields immediate eligibility waiver to play at Ohio State this year."

Comments

• dogbiscuit34dogbiscuit34 Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

No brainer. The transfer rules are disappearing before our very eyes.

• DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Farewell, beloved transfer rules. Just do away with them.

• bobbybobby Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think this opens up a whole new "can of worms" for college football.

• BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying To figure out the transfer rules

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not that I care one way or the other, but the NCAA is becoming the joke of college football. Make rules and stick to them across the board.....

• elstryfeelstryfe Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

This is the most absurd thing I've heard this week. The NCAA is a joke they may as well through the rules out the window and let everyone do what they want.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This clearly tells us that UGA did not oppose his request for immediately eligibility. I would really like to know what was said in that application. Inquiring minds wants to know.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 8
  • RedbonebanditRedbonebandit Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

Tate Martell should apply for a hardship waiver and make the argument that "racism" caused Fields to transfer and subsequently he lost his job, see how many knots the ncaa can twist themselves into

• PTCDawgPTCDawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Curious as to the reason why they granted it. The flood gates will definitely open now.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They probably didn't want to make the story bigger than it already was, move on quietly.

• galyadawg16galyadawg16 Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Not sure why this makes me angry. I want to be happy for the kid but I'm not. Also would like to know the grounds for his eligibility.

Not excited at all about the future of college football when it comes to transfers.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When the Dawgs play on national TV at least 10 minutes of the commentary will be devoted to the "Fields situation."

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh wouldn't that be glorious! I'd love to see a total Georgia beat down of Tosu, including multiple INTs of Mr. Fields.

• joeyww12000joeyww12000 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let these kids go wherever. If they are made to stay somewhere they don’t want to be, your’e not going to get anything out of them anyway. Who cares? Martell better get his eligibility though, or then you know there’s definitely bias treatment

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Kirby has the best take on this and it goes something along the lines of -- there are great life lessons in facing and overcoming adversity. The lessons gained through persevering dies inside the Transfer Portal. I realize this doesn't apply in all cases, but the message is true for many.

• browndawgbrowndawg Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

I wish JF all the best and much future success and hopefully he gets to face off against his old team mates in a playoff game and he gets to watch UGA celebrate on the field.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭ Junior

I understand why the NCAA and UGA did it, they dont wanna have to do battle aganist a kid calling racism. But this is going to open up a can of worms now, everyone will be calling racism.

The NCAA needs to tweak this rule or it might ruin CFB

• MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not at all surprised by this ruling....because it's clear to me (and the Fields' camp, and OSU, and Tate Martell and everybody "in the know") what the ruling was going to be.

But isn't that the issue and a problem? On its face, this determination should NOT have been a lock. So how is it that everyone that needed to know--did, in fact, ALREADY KNOW what the ruling (on a controversial issue) was going to be WELL IN ADVANCE of that decision??

Completely shady.

• joeyww12000joeyww12000 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh I agree totally, but these kids aren’t the same today. Much is too be learned but not by most of these kids today. I’m just glad we have Fromm. He’s an exception to the rule. Very mature for his age.

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And Fromm playin in the da man little league World Series.

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 325 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • jc30116jc30116 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭ Junior

Funny thing is there are just as many racists in Columbus as there are in Athens, probably more just based on size difference of the two cities.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Time will tell, but it is looking pretty grim for college football. What happens when a block of players on a team decide to transfer at the same time? There are so many potential problems, I fear the fans will lose interest when a promising season is wrecked by key players (supporting or otherwise) decide to leave. The reasons don't even seem to matter.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate