Derrick AnsleyTo UTjr

Wenis_AureliusWenis_Aurelius Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

In Kirby we trust, but the optics on this couldn't look more bizarre. We poach Florida's DB coach, a relatively unknown with nothing on his resume that really sticks out, and make him one of the highest paid DB coaches in the country. Then UF goes out and gets a DB coach from the NFL, and now UTjr hires an NFL DB coach who already has strong recruiting ties in the South from his time at Bama. Meanwhile we still haven't named anyone for DC.

Comments

• dawgnation7dawgnation7 Posts: 339 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is this the “homerun hire” for UGA BA was talking about on DawgNation daily a few episodes ago?

• superdawgsuperdawg Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Wenis_Aurelius, I wouldn't say Warren was unknown...he is considered a rising star in the coaching game...similar to Hankton, Schu and Lanning

• DoubleDanelDoubleDanel Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman
  • law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭ Junior

Is it just me or does it seem like the only high point this off season for UGA has been recruiting? We keep striking out

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seems like it. This news at the same time as Fields' waiver.

Then again, you'd have thought Ansley would have rather worked for UGA than TN. Who knows

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Wenis_AureliusWenis_Aurelius Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

We made Warren one of the highest paid DB coaches in the nation and Mel was making 1.5 million last year. If we wanted Ansley as our DC, money wasn't the issue.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 8

Co-DC - Ansley won’t be at UT for more than 2 years. Kirby is looking for stability with coaching hires.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe so. Do you think Kirby has that with Coley and whoever he names DC? Think we can get more than two outta them?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We might or we might not. Ansley is a proven cloud jumper. The OC and DC at UGA only leave if they get a bigger job. Ansley is a position coach who is a money chaser. Apples to green beans.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennessee is spending a lot of cash on coaches. They are going all in on Pruitt. If he works out, expect him to head to the NFL as there’s nothing keeping him in Knoxville for more than five years.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

How did we stikeout?we have a grrat staff.there'snothing wrong with any coaching moves we've made this offseason

Kirby knows what he's doing.stop b!tchin

Bunch of b!chin a$$ fans on this site

• papadoc19papadoc19 Posts: 36 ✭✭ Sophomore

Given Kirby had an opportunity to interview Ansley (and Torrian Gray) yet chose to go with Warren shows there was something Kirby saw in him that stood out. Additionally, with the rumors out there that Ansley is getting paid a million per season and is getting at least a co-DC title, I don't think he was a realistic option.

It could have been, but we'll never know. I think the move was moreso to try to sway Elam. But after listening to Warren's credentials, he seems like a solid hire, as well as someone who can mold the kids outside the classroom too. I think that's a big trait Kirby is looking for in his coaches.

• bubbadawgbubbadawg Posts: 360 ✭✭✭ Junior

You think Kirby hired a coach to go after one four star recruit? I'll never buy that. He got the guy that would work best with the rest of his staff and get the job done.

Not necessarily, but it's possible. If that was the case, then it backfired in his face. However, my last sentence and yours are spot on.

• dawgitimafandawgitimafan Posts: 219 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA didn't strikeout imo, the thing you want is someone to just slide over when someone leaves like Coley is doing, continuity is huge, and I don't care of he hires his wife Mary Beth to call plays for the defense, it's Kirby's defense.

• GahitmanGahitman Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

Kirby wants a guy he can mold! A guy willing to come in and learn his process! These other guys are very experienced coaches who have coached in the NFL.....recently! Do you think they would be willing to come in and do things Kirby's way? I don't think so! Really good hire for Kirby!

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

Go Dawgs. I personally love the Warren hire. Coach knows DBs and secondaries

• SquillDawgSquillDawg Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

If there is one position on the staff Kirby knows what to look for, it's at DB. If you don't trust Kirby on this, you'll never trust anything he does. This is just off season hand wringing. We're good.

• RetiredRedcoatRetiredRedcoat Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm sorry, I need a minute.

It doesn't make sense to say we're striking out. First off, we're talking about football. There are no strikes. Second, the only pitches in hiring staff are metaphorical and are given to potential candidates.

WHICH leads me to my real and legitimate point: how in THE WORLD did we strike out on Ansley? Somebody here confirm to me that Ansley was the object of a bidding war between us and UTjr. Please. Because if he wasn't, we didn't strike out. We didn't even step into the batter's box.

If Kirby hasn't named a coordinator at this point, he has a darn good reason for it. What staff hire has he made thus far that turned out poorly? He hasn't hired a Schottenheimer. He just hasn't done it. Trust the Process Georgia Way.

Y'all are all freakin out over somebody going to another school that BA wanted (no judgment, BA) and might have seemed to be a great fit to everyone...except for Kirby. I'll just wait and laugh when the DC that Kirby hires produces a better defense that what UTjr puts on the field.

Go Dawgs. Have a nice day.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

Go Dawgs