Punter Retiring - 1 More Roster Spot Now Open. Who do we want?

Who do we want / who do we think we will get?

-Nick Cross

-Lawrence Cager

-Preseason Walk-on

-Other - not sure if there are any specific names I'm missing here

I think the obvious choice for who we want is Nick Cross, but I don't think that is going to happen

Comments

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I may be mistaken but I think Long leaving gets us down to 85 Scholarships, there is a discussion on this in another thread....

• donmdonm Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If there is a spot open. save it for next year. I think we are fine for now. WAY lots of talent in next year's recruiting class.

• IwantNakobeIwantNakobe Posts: 267 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 558 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I am pretty sure that all of the 85 scholarships are currently taken. Signing Wolf took Long's scholarship.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Long, Bishop and Gibbs leaving we now stand at 85

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gibbs helped with Signing Day...

Bishop and Long helped with Cager and Wolf...

Theres still summer camp and spring ball where guys may transfer or MDQ.

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 178 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 9

No disrespect to Stetson or Dawn, we should pursue a fourth scholarship QB who would be a one year Grad Transfer. I would wait until the end of spring practice to allow Stetson and Dwan get as many reps as possible and chart the development progress, in particular Dwan.

Regardless of the development, I am conerned about one or two injuries at the QB position. Even if Dawn is knocking it out of the park, if Jake and Stetson are both out for a period of time, we would then be in a position where we would have to limit Dwan’s exposure in terms of running.

My thought is a QB who fits the mold of Wolf in terms of significant experience, maturity and understanding their role. A one year Grad Transfer keeps us in a good position to bring in an elite QB next year.

I have followed a lot of teams over the years and have seen too many instances of a rash of injuries at one position. If we were not a serious Championship contender I would be fine with three scholarship QB’s, but there is way too much on the line to “run out of QB’s”.

Now that we do not have to Pander to our backup, Jake can start and work hard to put games away early. No more throwing a play away switching during a series. Kirby needs to quit worrying about running scores up. Play Bennett and let Mathis take advantage of the 4 game rule and run our complete offense. I don’t care if we win by 1 point or 30, win and move on.

I don't think he likes being called Dawn. As in "Dawn, go away, I'm no good for you"

• ColumboColumbo Posts: 178 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yikes, spell check must have got me and I am past my edit time. Apologies to DWan!

• theoriginalpitbulltheoriginalpitbull Posts: 102 ✭✭✭ Junior

RE: QB

1. I expect after spring practice one to three guys will hang it up or transfer, which would create openings on the 85 man roster, but would NOT create an opening on the 25 man 2019 incoming roster, which is already full
    2. If and when that opening comes, we can take a graduate transfer QB which would count against our 2020 cap for incoming guys, and our current (2019) cap of 85. The 2020 class cap is already 23 due to Wolf and the Miami WR, so do we really want to reduce the cap to 22?
    3. On the plus side, according to a couple of recruiting guys, we have 14 guys in their last year of eligibility in 2019, plus up to 3 guys going pro early, and maybe a couple more transfers out, so we would have "room" on the 85 roster next year for no more than 19 guys. But if we have 3 graduate transfers on the 2019 roster, the room may be 22.
    4. I think we're better off using our 3 scholarship QBs wisely in 2019, coaching up one or two walk-on QBs, and leaving room in our 2020 incoming guys cap for a kicker and 22 4 or 5 stars. The cap of 85 is not the problem that the cap of 25 is.
    5. 2 new QBs will need lots of reps to get ready for the 2019 season, and we'll have more new TEs and WRs than usual who'll need to develop chemistry with 3 QBs, which is challenge enough for me. Another new QB who doesn't arrive until June doesn't seem like a good idea in view of the new receivers, much less the other points above.
  • Dawg94Dawg94 Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why do people not yet understand that Wolfe counts towards next year?

One answer might offend some folks.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wolfe and Cager count towards next year's 2020 class