Assessment of Kirby after Year 3

Godawgs2019Godawgs2019 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I know fans of a lot of teams throw a tantrum if you even mention one bad quality about a coach, but here is my unbiased assesent of Kirby after his first 3 years.

Positives: Elite recruiting, good motivator, good with media and administration

Areas to Improve: Too conservative(especially against Bama), which is normal for a defensive minded head coach, Seems like he predetermines before a game that he will use a trick play on special teams and does a poor job of choosing when to use it, handled the qb sitution this season poorly, lastly I was underwhelmed with the promotion of Coley to OC. I understand showing loyalty to staff, but Enos, who is a much better playcaller, expressed interest in the job and we only offered a co-oc position.

Comments

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 159 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 10

So I guess an OC calling plays on offense that got stopped is going to now equal conservative. As the SECCG wasn't like the CFP game where they shut it down after Fromm's second interception. The offense remained balanced.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

He improved in my opinion doing more with less. We lost a lot to the NFL and senior leadership was missing in my opinion. We have to beat BAMA though. It's time for sure

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

and what if he doesn't beat bama this year? or next year?

He will beat BAMA each year the talent gap closes. I sincerely believe it's just in due time. Kentucky beat UF finally after all those attempts. Anything is possible

I agree, all I am saying is that Kirby is doing more than any coach before him thus far and I feel like to many people are hung up on the Bama hump and are letting bama decide how his tenure will play out.

I see where you are coming at on this 👀 and I feel you but it would finally feel good to get over that mountain top

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah Kirby gets a .9987 on my Coaches Composite. All's good. 😎😎😎

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dabo’s record is the most impressive amongst those to me because he was the most dominant with the worse team. Saban’s Michigan State team was probably worse, but Saban apparently wasn’t dominant with them.

It is good to see that Kirby’s performance so far is in-line with the best coaches in the game today.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If a mistake has been made by making Coley the OC, and only time will tell, then the mistake was made when Coley was promoted to co-OC. That move made it impossible to bring anyone else in as anything other than another co-OC next to Coley. We were pretty much stuck with Coley as the OC when Chaney left.

Yes, Kirby is recruiting at an extremely high level. While many of us understand that we have to give a coach time to bring players into their system and develop them... we also must give a brand new head coach time to learn and develop for himself in this process.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 327 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 11

Unreasonable in my opinion. Regardless of what happens in the next 2 seasons, Kirby deserves more than 5 total years.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 327 ✭✭✭ Junior

To beat Saban

• JoeClarkJoeClark Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we sometimes forget the most important factor in the equation .... Time

none of these teams we’re chasing did it overnight - every season we remain ranked, and make it to the CFP is another notch in the recruiting belt and makes it that much easier to says “we need you, we’re that close”

• senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

At the risk of hijacking the thread, because this could be a question for its own separate one, another angle for his assessment could be to ask the question “after 3 years, what other coach would you trade Kirby for?”.

Irrespective of whether they are liked personally, based solely on their pros/cons and ultimately bottom line results, I would think most might say only Saban and Dabo, maybe Fisher for some, but probably not Meyer. So, out of all the remaining CFB coaches, who could be argued as being better than Kirby, once again taking in all pros/cons?

While the three year sampling is relatively small in comparison to the others, the potential long-term upside for UGA’s future under CKS feels more promising than I personally could have ever hoped for and would thus not trade him for any other coach. He’s obviously a recruiting beast and motivator, and his gameday/sideline skills should only be expected to improve. However, as others have already said, only time will truly tell.

• how2fishhow2fish Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lets see now folks are upset cause we have lost to Bama for the Natty and the SEC title....two years in a row. Remember when we couldn't beat UF for the East...for my money lets keep Kirby at least until we aren't East champs anymore. Has Kirby made mistakes sure but his upside is amazing he is still growing as a coach and I don't think you can over state how much him being in his dream job matters to him. He won't give up on this University or its fan base, and as far as I can see we have a great spokesman, coach and role model for our players.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do think play calling is too restricted in second halves of tough games. An exception was the 2018 Rose Bowl where it was obvious we had to keep pace with Oklahoma. Kirby does seem to try to manage leads at times when staying loose would probably give us a better chance of winning.

I wouldn’t even trade Kirby for Dabo. Kirby is out recruiting Dabo and Clemson’s plus is that they are in the ACC.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man please.Kirby has done an excellent job.there is nothing to complain about at all.stop tripping

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you are confusing injuries with being conservative. In 2017 the offense was slowed by the loss of Charlie Woerner all who was having his best game until he broke his leg. We all knew that the Defensive backfield was the week link on the 2017 Georgia team. In 2018 we went into the season worrying about the D-line. After freshman Jordan Davis becam a starter (after the LSU game) the problem went away' In the SEC championship game the D-line owned Alabama until D'Andre Walker's injury. If their is a fault with CKS it is not coaching but lack on defensive front seven recruiting. He has addressed the problem with Tymon Mitchell, Bill Norton, Tramel Walthour, Travon Walker, Nolan Smith and Jermaine Johnson in the 2019 class.

You don’t understand all of the complaints? It’s not like people are saying he isn’t our answer. The OP simply pointed out 3 fairly obvious points, two of which have been covered to death because of being so egregious that the majority of the fanbase agrees. Those being 1). Kirby chit the bed on the fakes against both LSU and Bama amd 2) the QB situation was horribly managed.

Was anyone thrilled with the promotion of Coley, given the delay in naming him? It certainly appears Kirby was looking to make a different move but had to go with his fallback.

• DCochranDCochran Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, if I may chime in....

The three things that KS has going right now;

1) Recruiting success is just off the charts. Case in point, Clemson just won the NC and throttled Bama, and their recruiting class this season was 10th in the nation. We lost to Texas in a Sugar bowl that nobody even cared much about and still ended up with the #2 class in the country.

2) S&C program second to none. I'd take Sinclair over Cochran (Bama's S&C coach) any day of the week. I'm a former fitness trainer who actually trained a former UGA player by the way. I know a little about this area.

3) Facilities that MR never had to work with. Not only our IPF that is nicer than any in the SEC except maybe Bama's, but about to get a new bazillion dollar weightroom upgrade, just to keep up with Clemson.

Now....has he made mistakes, sure. But you keep the above going and there's just no way we're gonna start going backwards. Here learn about the little coaching screw-ups like the fake punt thing, etc. and eventually get older and wiser and smarter.

We'll stomp our little brothers in the East until Christ comes back. The Tide's luck will eventually run out against us. That Orange team over there across Lake Hartwell is going to another obstacle we'll have to conquer. But that's on the way too...write it down.

• senorlorenzosenorlorenzo Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

“2) the QB situation was horribly managed.”

You’re not the first person on here to make that same type of statement, but I‘ve yet to see anyone expound upon it with tangible specifics. So, here’s my defense:

1) What coach has ever shown how to successfully and consistently manage a two QB system that should be the blueprint for everyone else? Saban and Dabo certainly didn’t last year. Historically, you name a starter and the backup is the backup.

2) I recognize that SOS had a knack of jerking QBs in/out over the course of a season and Meyer used Tebow very strategically, but once again from a historical view, they were anomalies.

3) Nobody seemed to complain when Eason backed up Fromm with only garbage time in 17 on the way to the CFP, so why was 18 any different?

4) I’ll concede that a special redzone package might have been effective with Fields, but I also feel really good with #11 taking the snap as well.

So, the bottom line is, while everybody’s got opinions, how is it so clear that CKS ‘horribly’ managed the QBs? The only thing I see he could have significantly done is to have placated the freshman at the expense of the overall season just to keep him happy so he wouldn’t transfer.

When they started playing him in more than mop up situations they betrayed your first point. One thing I don’t know is regarding what plays were actually called when Fields was in the game. If the plan was for Fields to actually run the ball as much as he did then the comments about the staff not knowing how to use him were correct. They treated him like he was an extra running back instead of an actual QB. Anyone remember when James Jackson was the QB back in the 80’s? We might as well have been running the same offense when Fields was in the game. Half the time I thought they viewed Fields as the wilddawg weapon instead the QB.

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey man at 1 point Dabo lost 5 or 6 straight to Spurrier so sure, Saban may have Kirbys # right now, but I wouldn't expect that to last much longer the way Kirby recruits and motivates. Just a matter of time (Like 2019 and or 2020) before Kirby wins his 1st of what I think will b several National Championships.