What state has the best high school football?

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Difficult question to answer because most people just know what goes on in their particular state or area.

There is a lot of money being spent on high school football in Texss. There is now an $80 million HS stadium, two $70 million stadiums, a $60 million stadium, and 20 plus in the $40-$50 million range.

And now there are very few school districts in the 4A - 6A classification that don't have an indoor practice facility for each of their HS at a cost of about $10-12 million per facility.

And although the West Texas area doesn't really produce many college prospects - there may be few places where football is bigger - it's a religion.

But few states, if any, are producing more college prospects per capita than the state of Georgia.

What state does dawgnation believe has the best HS football?

Comments

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

Texas is King followed by California then Florida and finally Georgia. Everybody recruits these states for great football talent.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If only 4 states could be recruited

1) California

2) Texas

3) Florida

4) Georgia

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't believe HS football is bigger in California or Florida than it is in Georgia. California produces a lot of prospects but it's by far the biggest by population.

When I watch California HS games on TV there never seems to be a very large crowd presence or large stadium.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/18/16780636/best-recruits-2019-state-rankings

^^^ this shows the nations blue chip players and what percentage are from each state. California leads the way... but they have the largest population

If you took a look at the population of the state itself and what percentage of blue chip players there were from that state then the order reverses to 1) Georgia 2) Florida 3) Texas 4) California

I don't really think you can rank it by who has the most recruits. I just don't see HS football being a very big deal in California.

I may have asked the question wrong. Maybe I should have asked which states are most passionate about high school football?

Like I said earlier, I doubt there is any place where HS football is bigger than the small towns in West Texas - yet, they produce very few college prospects.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree South Georgia is deeply rooted in High School football. Places like Valdosta and Lowdnes County, Lee County, Americus and others love and support their teams ❤️❤️ 💙❤️♥️

yes, and Moultrie High's coach Propst is the top paid in the state I do believe

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 10

@texdawg Based on the sheer numbers of people, it’s the population centers of :

1. California
    2. Texaa
    3. Florida

However, with not nearly as large of a population as any of these other top three states? Georgia produces college level talent like none of the remaining 46 states (of which Georgia is one), the other 45 states lag semi-far behind, to very-far distantly behind the Peach State. So, as a result IMHO the Great State of GEORGIA (based on its smaller population), blows every other state completely out of the water!!!! Ultimately, the NFL caliber talent shines forth in “the league” (The NFL) as Georgia is REPRESENTED. Others that are far smarter than I am, have already covered this topic quite a lot. The source material isn’t too difficult to locate either. I’m just too doggone lazy!! Hahaha!!!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia and Texas seem to be very, very passionate about HS football. However there are pockets of that extreme passion all across the country, particularly in the South. But hey, who the heck am I????

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 309 ✭✭✭ Junior

mile for mile....ga

For overall passion and financial commitment I believe Texas is probably the best.

In terms of producing elite college prospects - it's difficult to argue with what the state of Georgia is producing per capita. But I believe I read somewhere that the state of Louisiana produces the most college and NFL prospects per capita.

But what Georgia is producing with about half the population of Texas and probably a third of the population of California is incredible.

Are Georgia high schools starting to build the indoor practice facilities that so many Texas HS are building?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A high school stadium in the tens of millions of dollars is just crazy Im not sure how a school and community justifies that as part of a learning experience How much is a ticket to those games?

Are coaches salries headed in the same direction?

“Request failed with status code 403”. FYI for the mods

Not really. I coach at a private school so it's different. We also don't get the facilities that public schools get because it's not being paid for with tax dollars.

These football stadiums are ridiculous. Some of the stadiums are shared by two or three schools. But Allen High School (where kyler Murray played) is a one high school district and it's stadium is spectacular. They also have about 1,300 per graduating class.

Many head high school football coaches currently make over 100K per year in Georgia. I believe there are over 25 coaches making more than 100K.

I am sure the great majority of money comes from boosters and donations

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish it were the opposite, that top facilities should be at the private sxhools where they have the freedom to waste whatever amount of money they can raise. I dont think public funding should be at the levels seen in these examples, but I would assume the communities voted to approve some kind of bond refeeendum or sales tax for those purposes. $70 million for a high school football stadium? Is there any chance the local economic impact actually justifies that level of public spending?

That weight room in Camden is as nice as many colleges, but do they really get the desired results if they arent also providing the necessary nutrition? It’s like they bought a yellowfin boat but didnt get a motor.

nutrition is fundamental to any true muscle development... I would be curious to know though how much money of these stadiums and such come from tax payers dollars and how much comes from donations/boosters

• TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭ Junior

5A Jones County (GA) opened a 2 mil weight room facility this past year. Has 4 position meeting rooms...stadium seating...12 flat screens....a nutrition center fully stocked with proteins and mass gainers. Smoothie machines so the kids can get their protein on the go in between classes. The weights rival just about any college except for maybe they do not have as many as a UGA for obvious reasons.

Not bad for a school of about 1500-1600.

I would say Texas, Georgia, and Alabama have the most rabid high school fans that I have seen going from event to event.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I played HS football in Corpus Christi, Texas. I lived in Athens from 04-07. My son played HS football in California and Florida. I know about HS football in all four of the big states. There is no contest. Texas has the best HS football. And it’s not even close, It is a religion out there. You have to live there to understand.

Yes sir. You are very qualified to weigh in.

• CatfishCatfish Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are high school programs allowed to sell stadium "commercial branding" rights?

In the 5A and 6A there are 2 football coaches in Texas earning 160k(both in the Austin area). About 50 are earning between 140k- 150k. Almost all 5A - 6A coaches in Texas are earning at least 120k. And 5A and 6A coaches don't have to teach class.

Someone asked about boosters. Boosters do not contribute to that salary. Not saying they don't contribute over and beyond that salary - but salary is paid through the school district. Many coaches in one school towns are provided cars by the local dealership.

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm biased, but I think Texas is #1, and slots 2-4 are up for debate. Just my $0.02 worth...

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 475 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with those of you who said it's not total recruits only. Florida routinely produces more " top talent" than Ga, but Florida has 21 mil, we have 10. And Cali? They have nearly 40 mil.

No, if you really want to account for which state produces the most talent, you should base it on a per capita basis or some similar measure . And I'm convinced that Georgia would likely be #1 when calculated in that manner.

Furthermore, has anyone noticed how much talent, outside of the ESPN 300 that lands at schools like KY, TN, Mich, OSU that come from Georgia? Oh h e l l, Everyone from MTSU to UF. They have Georgia players everywhere. It's just amazing.

DAWGS