What 2-3 position groups is it most important to sign elite prospects?

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hypothetical: If Georgia could only sign 5*s in 3 position groups - which position groups would you want the 5*s to be in?

What 3 position groups are 5*s less important?

Special teams don't count.

Choose from:

QB, RB, WR, TE, OT, G/C, DT, OLB/DE, ILB, CB, S

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting question. I had to read it a few times to be sure what you're asking.

I'd say it's most important to have 5* guys at RB, OT, and OLB/DE. Given the importance of running the ball, protecting the QB, and pressuring the opposing QB, respectively.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • ChimRicholdsChimRicholds Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman
    edited February 11

I'll bite.

1. QB
    2. OT
    3. OLB/DE

Rationale:

Good teams lose with bad quarterback play, so QB is essential. Having said that, offensive football is dependent upon the play of the hogs up front. Centers and guards are tremendously important, but if we're gonna break it down even further I'll begrudgingly prioritize tackles over the interior guys when it comes to a need for raw athleticism.

On the other side of the ball, modern defenses live and die on the pass rush. You can have the best secondary in the country and still give up significant yards in the passing game without an elite pass rush. Having said that, without some donkeys playing the 0/1 and/or 3 techniques, teams won't have to throw it much anyway.

edited February 11

Least important... DT, TE, S. (Again, this is just about whether it's critical to have 5*'s specifically. I'd say it's less so at those spots.)

EDIT: @texdawg - this in your response to your follow up question above.

• AgDawgAgDawg Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most Important: QB, OT, DE

Least Important: TE, S, K

• LORLOR Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Least important?

WR, TE, RB

I think with these three groups you can plug and play enough to get the production you need.

Most important?

QB, OT, DT

To win consistently you need the trenches, and you need a QB that makes good decisions and can occasionally put the team on his back and will them to a win

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most important:

OT, OLB, DT

Least important:

S, TE, WR

edited February 11

No doubt that the trenches are critical, but in my experience 5* DT's are rare, and 3* guys can turn out to be beasts at that position (see Davis, Jordan).

EDIT: @LOR @Acrum21

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Most Important

OT

DT

OLB

Games are won in the trenches

Least Important

TE

RB

ILB (that's why u need a good DL)

I see a lot of people saying QB is most important. Other than TUA, name me one elite QB that has won a NC for the Tide...

• ChimRicholdsChimRicholds Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Five or even ten years ago I would have agreed with you, but I think Nick Saban would admit that quarterbacks are more important now than ever in the college game. If you look at the two championship games that Alabama has lost in the last three seasons, they were carved up by phenomenal Clemson quarterbacks in both of those games.

Hell, look at most of the games they've lost since the Saban dynasty started. It takes a special QB to beat the TIde. Either that, or Stephen Garcia.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 11

Defense, defense, and more defense.

How does anyone discount DT recruiting? It is the reason we lost to Bama in 2012, and came up short other times in the Richt era. DTs can free up the defense on the backend to play more aggressively Strong DT’s make the LBers exponentially more effective

CB, DT, OLB/DE

Bama has won plenty without a 5 star QB. OL is the only other consideration for me.

• Dawg4Life912Dawg4Life912 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

QB, RB, OT

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DT, CB, OT

DT & CB because they’re the hardest to recruit well. Other positions you can go down a little in the pecking order and still have a lot of good players to choose from.

DT & OT because games are won in the trenches. All you’re skill players on offense are going to look a hell of a lot better if they have a good line to run around behind. And on defense, your whole defense is gonna look a lot better if you’re d-line is tearing up their o-line,

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

D-Line, O Line, QB

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm pretty much on board with this, but of course I'm going to want 4* everywhere else.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 11

T, DT, QB

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 140 ✭✭✭ Junior

Center OT ILB

I can tell from a lot of these answers that people are posting what they think are the most important positions, not which positions are most important to get 5* players to fill. They are not the same thing.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 79 ✭✭ Sophomore

OT,RB and DT

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QB, OT, DT

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with this and the several others that have said it.

Least: Ilb, wr, and te

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QB

OT

OLB ( in our system it's OLB, the same position is essentially a weakside DE in many 4-3 defenses)

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

QB

RB

ROQUAN

• MeR3htidMeR3htid Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the SEC so if 2 of your top 3 isnt OL and DL then well.......

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It depends on your schemes but the positions that are most important to any scheme is OT, DT and CB imo.

For UGA and its running focus RB has to be a priority along with O-line. And DT has proven to be our weakest link so far under Kirby. ILB is also very close but if you have the right DT you can get away with good ILB play. The loss or John Atkins and Roquan was pretty telling last season.

Least important Safety, WR and TE. Lots of good athletes out there to play these positions. Oh and FB... lol